Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2015

Wedding Dress Bustle

Lou7707, 18 of March of 2015 at 14:09 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but was hoping you could provide some advice about my wedding dress. I picked a Romantica Indulgence very lacy dress back in November and had my first accessory and try-on yesterday. I'd forgotten how big and heavy it was and also how long the train is. My worry is that the train will be in my way all day long and that I won't be able to walk around or dance.

I've had a look online and know you can do bustles, however because my dress is quite thick and heavy I'm not sure if it will be possible. These are questions I should have asked yesterday but I just didn't think at the time!

This is the dress. I do realise it will need to be shortened in length which I'm hoping will also take some length off the train. Has anyone had any experience of bustling lacy dresses? Do you think it will be possible? Or even possible to remove the train altogether? The boutique is closed today and I plan on calling them tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm sat winding myself up thinking I've made a huge and expensive mistake! Argh!

Any help/advice would be kindly appreciated Smiley smile

x

5 replies

Latest activity by AprilBride15, 20 of March of 2015 at 11:25
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Welcome Smiley smile

an interesting question. I don't know the answer but when a dress is shortened they only take it up at the front if it has a train. They don't go all the way round. Removing the train will change the look of the dress. I'd have a good chat with your boutique as they'll have a good idea what you can do. X

• L
    Beginner July 2015
    Lou7707 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I didn't realise they didn't shorten the train along with the length... Hmm. I should really just wait to speak to the shop tomorrow but I'm just in panic mode!

Thanks for your help Smiley smile x

• E
    Beginner April 2015
    elemden ·
    • Hide content

My dressmaker is putting a bustle on mine which is a different shape but multi-layered and very heavy with a lace top layer. I had first thought to have the train cut off but just couldn't. She explained that they align all the layers, tack together and make the loop attachments. I didn't really get it, but she was very confident and showed me how it would turn out so I trust her that it will work.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I had a nice easy one hook bustle, but my bestie had a seriously heavy dress, so her shop put 3 sets of 2 in. A left, a right and a central one, then a spare set underneath each in case they broke. Dress shops are very clever!

• L
    Beginner July 2015
    Lou7707 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your replies!

I've called the store and they can do all sorts with it so I'm not as worried as I was Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I had this problem too - mine is lace, very heavy and with a 3 foot train (you know it didn't seem that long when I tried on the sample!) Anyway seamstress was fantastic we tried all sorts of things to hook it up (if it was done the traditional way it was not only too heavy but I felt like I was walking with a pillow behind my legs!)

We ended up just lifting the middle section of the top layer and 3 sections of the underskirts; so it doesn't completely get rid of the train, but it does make it easier for me to turn and less likely for people to step on it!

A good seamstress will have lots of ideas up her sleeve (from past experience!)

Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics