Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2018

Wedding Dress Change of heart and pocket

LuxuriousRedDiamonds72713, 10 of April of 2018 at 22:12 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi

I went shopping with my Bridesmaids and have bought a wedding dress. I seriously got caught up in the excitement of it all. I probably only tried on 4 or 5 dresses maximum. The dress has been paid for and is in storage in the shop.But now I am seriously having second thoughts.

1. The dress was far too expensive

2. The dress is far to young for me

3. The dress is BIG and beautiful for a full on wedding

Please help. I am looking for advise regarding what to do with changing the dress for something CHEAPER and low key.

Thank You

6 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBlueCakes30941, 24 of April of 2018 at 10:47
  • R
    Beginner April 2019
    RomanticYellowConfetti938 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

I'm sorry you're having second thoughts about your dress but I honestly think everyone has the same panic at some point.

I bought my dress in December, it was very expensive and the day after I started having doubts about it.

I would recommend you go and try it on again, if you still get the butterflies in it then you know its your dress.

I know it can be daunting spending so much but you've already paid for it and you can always sell it afterwards to get some of the money back. Chances are the bridal shop wouldn't give you a refund if you went for something cheaper so you'd end up forking out for a whole new dress and spending even more money.

Also, dont worry about the dress being too young for you (unless it's totally inappropriate!). Its your day and you can wear what you want, it doesnt matter if you are having a low key wedding or grand affair. Its your day and your dress!

Hope this helps! x

• L
    Beginner September 2018
    LuxuriousRedDiamonds72713 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for replying. Yes I had doubts about the expense. I will be 52 when I get married and although the dress is high necked my arms are exposed and it is a BIG dress. The trying on date is in May. If I had gone on my own no way would I have been talked into it.

I was thinking to email the shop and see what they come back with. I don't want more expense, reality has come crashing down and HOW THE HELL are we going to afford it all! :-)

☹️

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to make an appt to go back and discuss this with the shop. Take time off work and go when they are quiet. It's entirely at their discretion whether they allow a switch. They may allow you to scale down the main dress on condition that you buy the BM dresses there.

• S
    Beginner September 2018
    SunnyBlueFlowers81790 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I too will be 52 when we get married in September. I bought my dress in February, I've also been having panicky thoughts about it every so often since. I was convinced I had to have sleeves in my dress, but the one I bought is sleeveless! I have tried to remind myself that it felt right when I tried it on and that it was the only one that other customers in the shop approved off!! (It was in a wed2b shop that myself and friend found by accident and was a busy day!). I think it's normal to have a wobble about the dress and what we look like and I think even more so as we're older.

Hopefully if you truly are convinced it's not for you then you may be able to come to a compromise with the shop as others have suggested.

Good luck x

• L
    Beginner September 2018
    LuxuriousRedDiamonds72713 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

The Dress shop said no I could not change the dress. It is paid for and away in storage.

Although the dress is sleeveless, I guess I can try bolero jackets on when I go in for a check in May. That said the fantastic detail is in the bodice and the back. Maybe I am just nervous.

We are rent the guys (6 of them) and pageboys suits (2) from them too which is another £800.

My bridesmaids were horrified that I tried to change the dress as they loved the dress on me.

So that is where I am at the moment.

thanks

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

That's a shame they won't change it. Have they started making alterations or something?

A shrug top should cover your arms but still leave the bodice and back free for people to see. The shop should be able to help you with this.

If they haven't started making alterations and you're still unhappy next time to try it on, maybe ask them again in person - you are spending a LOT of money in their shop and I would expect a good bridal shop to go out of their way to make me feel amazing about my big day. Perhaps if you considered dresses that were the same sort of price but a different style (I know that doesn't fix your money problem, but might make them more amenable), or agree to buy your accessories and a cheaper dress up to the same value so that at least you're spending the same amount. It's worth asking again in person.

Just a thought, is there one or two people whose opinions you trust that you can take with you for your next appointment? If you have lots of people's opinions it can confuse your idea of what you want.

Hopefully it's just a bit of nerves, and you'll love the dress when you try it on again!

Good luck!

• R
    RomanticBlueCakes30941 ·
    • Hide content

Everyone has the dream to look perfect on their wedding. The wedding dress is the incredible part for the bride on her wedding. The choice of wedding dress is important as it is the bride's day. But it takes more money than usual one as it makes the special day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics