Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

PompeyEm
Beginner September 2011

Wedding Dress Complaint Help/Advice Please

PompeyEm, 18 of October of 2011 at 13:48 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi All

I'm back as an OM. I know, I still have my report to do, but still dealing with a number of complaints/issues and wondered if I could pick your collective brains

Hmm, ok.

My dress (and for the time being, I will refrain from naming the manufacturer) arrived in store, was checked for faults and was immaculate.

Being 5 foot and curvy it required some alterations - most wedding dresses do, right?

Anyway, following the alterations, I was really happy. The dress fitted me and looked perfect. Being designed for the bigger girl, I was ecstactic that I looked lovely (in my own opinion, of course).

It gets to the day and I'm still happy... right up until we have to start sitting down for dinner (4 hours of wearing). By which point, I think it's fair to say the dress was not fit for purpose. Essentially all the bones in the bodice started giving way and, by 7 pm (6 hours of wearing) the bones had completely bent out of shape - the ones at the front were bent into C-shapes, poking outwards like a fetching pair of horns, and the ones on the side had collapsed into s-shapes and, while digging painfully into my sides, were offering no support whatsover.

For the rest of the evening, I was essentially having to hoik myself up every 5 minutes or risk showing my bra to all my guests (at best) and looking like a 90 year old woman with boobs being dragged down to my waist by the heavy dress (at worst).

Ok, so the dress is strapless, and designed for the bigger proportioned girl. I'm guessing that the boning shouldn't have given way like this.

So, any thoughts? Does anyone know what my statutory rights are? I won't go into the pitiful response I got from the manufacturer at this stage...

Thanks

Em

14 replies

Latest activity by Michelle772012, 18 of October of 2011 at 16:46
  • S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Ooo definatley not fit for purpose!

The first dress I was going to get was a boned corest top and someone had told me they saw someone else where the dress and the bones bowed after a couple of hours! Smiley sad

I would definaltey write to them and see what they say.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Send a letter before action and threaten to take legal action under the Sales of Goods Act 1979. The dress is not 'of satisfactory quality' and was not 'fit for purpose'. HOWEVER, in most cases, your rights are against the retailer, rather than the manufacturer, so it's probably best to start with them. It will be up to the retailer to prove that the dress is of satifactory quality and fit for purpose, and they would have to prove that you did something to damage the dress yourself if they dispute the complaint (which of course you didn't). It won't hurt to get an expert's report on file - take it to a dress maker/alterations business and ask them to write down their opinion of the dress. Good luck!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Also, out of interest, how did you pay for the dress? If you used a credit card you may be able to enforce your rights under the Sale of Goods Act against your credit card company.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Looks good to me JoJo. It's standard to allow 14 days for a reply, and make sure you send the letter recorded delivery, and print out the electronic signature from the royal mail website once it's signed for.

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, being a bit thick, but who do I send this to? The dress shop or the manufacturer?

I ask because I already emailed the bridal shop and the lady has already replied last week saying that she thought I had a valid point and that the dress shouldn't have done this!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Your rights under the Sales of Goods Act are against the retailer, which is handy considering she's already admitted that the dress shouldn't have done that. Send the letter to the retailer - it's her who you entered into a contract with (by purchasing the dress) and it's her who had the duty of providing you with a dress of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies... will let you know of any outcomes. I've deliberately not named the dress shop at this stage either because, while it's them that's sold the dress, they were incredibly lovely throughout the dress buying process, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to other brides. It's a shame that consumer rights are such that it's the shop's fault, when clearly the problem lies with the manufacturer!

I'm in an odd situation of not wanting to name and shame!

But if, as you say, it's them I have to approach then that's got to be my first point of recourse.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

To be honest there is an art to good complaining. I wouldn't go in with all guns blazing first. I would express your disappointment especially as the service/testimonials were good. Make sure you put some flattery in the first letter to get them on your side. Get your point accross but I always find that if you do it this way you are more likey to get a result.

Obviously if this doesn't get the desired effect then bring on Mrs Nasty :-)

Such a shame to hear this though, hope it did not completey ruin your day xxxx

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content

Very interesting, thanks! And there I was blaming my chub!

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Between us, me and the husband are turning complaining into an art - we're good cop bad cop and are terriers enough not to let something drop! I just didn't know what my rights are with regards to wedding dresses.

No, it didn't ruin my day completely - although I'm sunny enough to not let this get to me on the day. That's not to say I couldn't have done without the hassle or embarrassment of repetative hoiking and bras/saggy looking boobs are not something your family and friends need to see!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

I know you dont want to name manufacturer yet but could you please tell me if its a bonny dress if not no naming needed if so i am now scared mine will be in, in 4 wks and its bonny unforgettable style 1811 and is a plus size dress x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics