Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2015

Wedding dress disaster

blue28, 10 of August of 2015 at 14:53 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello,

I've had lots of problems with the shop I ordered my wedding dress from. They were lovely until I paid my deposit, then I didn't hear anything again. I emailed a few times to ask for delivery dates, they said they would check but then I wouldn't hear from them again. Finally they got delivery dates but it's later than promised. I will have less than two weeks for alterations. They have been rude and dismissive. They haven't apologised at all for the delay, they just keep blaming their supplier. I don't trust them at all now to deliver the right dress or size. Last time I spoke on the phone they seemed to think I'd ordered a size several sizes larger than the one I need.

What can I do? The wedding is this month and I still don't have a dress. There isn't any time to find something else.

I'm dreading getting the dress now. It's been very stressful and several times I haven't been able to sleep because of worry. They've tainted the dress. I wish I had gone absolutely anywhere else.

When (if) I finally get the dress, what can I do so that I like it again? I don't want it tainted with memories of the horrible shop and their nasty dress design company.

And if the dress is all wrong or the wrong size, what can I do in less than two weeks to get another dress?

It's all been so upsetting. I don't know what do. Any advice would be wonderful.

8 replies

Latest activity by Jade8, 11 of August of 2015 at 11:06
  • hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

Oh god that sounds awful Smiley sad keep calling them, keep going down there, keep on bugging them until you get what you want. Then try to push for some discount!

Also... your dress shop should not underestimate the power of social media. If you get their name out there and give them a bad rep their business will fall flat on its face. They do not want that. So if they let you down again make sure you go public!! No one else needs to go through what you have.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Well you could go the whole hog and ask them to show you the order and something from their supplier confirming the order size and dates.

I wouldn't email or ring them I would go in. And keep going in. And speak to the manager.

Tell them at this point you just don't trust them and if need be tell them you will make it known etc. in for a penny in for a pound.

whats happened is awful and extremely stressful but I can't see them wanting a load of bad publicity so it's not like they are likely to do anything about it.

i think I would want a back up in place. Maybe Check whether other stores have one in in your size even if it's a sample? Obviously depending on what joy you get.

im sure once you have your dress at home and put it on when not stressed you will love it again.

Fingers crossed this will all be fine and just a nasty memory.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure when the dress was due for delivery?

You need to write to them immediately stating "I am making time of the essence to our contract.." and stating your case. Eg when it was due and why the delay is not acceptable. Give them a date by which they must supply the dress or you will cancel the contract.

Trading standards will be able to help you with the letter.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Can you contact the supplier direct and see if they can give you an update?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh sweetie, I'm sorry to hear this. Have you got a seamstress lined up? If not it's worth trying to get hold of a local one so you can take it there for any alterations you might need. You'll need to make sure they have availability for those couple of weeks. Don't think about anything else at this stage, I'm sure it'll be the right dress! Have you got everything in writing e.g. what you ordered and what size? That way if it comes in wrong you've got written proof. If all else fails you could look for your local outlet and try and get a dress there. I hope it doesn't come to that and you get the dress you loved

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsSDtobe ·
    • Hide content

Indeed My only suggestion for getting a last minute dress is to look somewhere like wed2b. I got my dress from there (they have branches all over the place). Its an outlet, but the dresses are all new. They carry sizes 6 to 30, and the top price is £449. If you find a dress there you buy it and take it home the same day.

However, I'm sure that everything will work out with your dress, but I thought I would suggest a backup option ?

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    blue28 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your replies. It does make me feel better (and a bit calmer!).

Luckily I had booked a seamstress for alterations. She's been wonderful, re-arranging our appointments because of the delays. I feel bad that she's ended up being inconvenienced because of the useless shop.

Unfortunately the woman that runs the shop also owns the dress design company. She clearly couldn't care less. She doesn't take any responsibility and blames 'the supplier'. It's her dress company - she is the supplier!

The dress should have arrived by end of July, and even if it was delayed they had said beginning/early August at the latest, which is on my receipt. What is stressful is that they've been so unhelpful the whole time. Even in the last week of July, the manager got cross on the phone and said I shouldn't expect a delivery date yet! And they didn't bother to email me until the last day of July to tell me it would be delivered late.

Last week they said it was being delivered from China and gave me a DHL tracking number and it might be there by Saturday. Then on Saturday they emailed that it was the wrong tracking number! It's so useless. If it was any other time I'd laugh, they are so incompetent it's farcical.

Now I have another tracking number. So a package has arrived at Heathrow now but who knows what's in it. Fingers crossed it will be the right dress although I'm absolutely dreading going to the shop and collecting it. Who knows if it will be the right size given what they said at the weekend. This should be a happy day. Instead I have to deal with these unpleasant people.

I just don't want this worry and stress to be hanging over me. I don't want to hate the dress because it's now associated with them.

Thanks for the tips about wed2B and phoning other shops to see if they have sample sizes in stock. That will be a good back up plan if the dress is all wrong.

I really wish I'd bought my wedding dress somewhere else! It's such a shame that buying my wedding dress, which should be a wonderful once-in-a-lifetime experience, has been completely spoilt by the shop.

And I suppose a few weeks late is better than several months late - that's terrible CityGirl29! It's amazing you managed to re-arrange everything in time.

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

I'm pleased that you have got another seamstress - I was going to say that if the shop are doing the alterations to find someone else ASAP as they seem so reliable! I hope that you get something soon, otherwise like the others have said I would get down to the shop and not leave until you get answers!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics