Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2015

wedding dress disaster and running out of time!!!!!

Kezzi, 26 of February of 2015 at 19:29 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi all.....i am new to this site and i am looking for some advice!

i only decided to book my wedding 6 weeks ago for 3rd july this year! i know alot of you may think i am crazy for doing it in such a short space of time, however, been engaged for 13 years and i am not having a big affair, and i cant stand the thought of planning for 18 months......anyway, i am having an absolute nightmare with my wedding dress. ordered my dream dress from a bridal boutique in ormskirk, paid deposit and paid premium delivery and with that, my dress would be delivered 6 weeks before my wedding date...perfect!

but, just last week, the bridal shop rung and informed me that my dress had been discontinued by the supplier and i cant get it anywhere now, whats more, i am out of time to get one made to measure as it wouldnt be ready on time! my question is, have any of you had any experience with ordering off ebay from china? or any bridal outlets (other than bolton) that i could buy one off the peg. i am a plus size bride which is making this whole situation a hell of a lot worse, thanks in advance!!!! Smiley sad xx

15 replies

Latest activity by Future*mrsP, 28 of February of 2015 at 09:18
  • X
    Beginner July 2016
    xxbeckyxx999 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there Smiley smile so sorry to hear about your dress Smiley sad I think the best place to go would be the wedding factory outlet, they have a few stores. Or check out your local bridal shop online to see if they have any sale dresses, you buy them off the peg and get to try on before you buy so theres no worry about quality. I hope you find one

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

Phone your local shops and ask whether they have any plus sized samples that they would sell. The shop where I bought mine basically has a clearance section, they had loads, so tried several on, bought one and took it away same day. Oh and it was half price. I am plus sized too and was impressed with the selection. Unfortunately it's nowhere near you but I'm sure there will be similar places near to you.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

How awful!

What size/style are you looking for?

ETA: I have a lovely Phase Eight dress in size 18 I no longer plan to wear.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to hitched!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I cant recommended any Chinese supplier, but certainly wouldn't recommend Helene bridal.

Many charity shops have dedicated bridal stores. The stock isn't all 80's styles either and some are simply end of line, brand new dresses. Look at the charity shops websites, and you might find a bridal store near you. I'm not sure what size or style you are looking for, but here are some options for off the peg dresses. If you know the name and size of the dress you ordered, you might find it on preloved, ebay or another hitcher might have it!

BHS do wedding dresses to size 22 http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/category/wedding-1020484/wedding-dresses-3911397

Tesco have this in a size 20 http://www.clothingattesco.com/wedding/the-bride/icat/womens-bride#esp_cf=ESP_rational_size&esp_filter_ESP_rational_size=0053%7C20

Monsoon go to 22 http://uk.monsoon.co.uk/uk/wedding/bridal/dresses

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    Clairebo ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from an outlet off the peg. ALL sizes. Lovely ladies. In stockport, don't know if this is too far for you. Highly recommended x

https://www.facebook.com/bridalfactoryoutlets

• K
    Beginner July 2015
    Kezzi ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your advice everyone Smiley smile

Bridal shop in ormskirk was trudy smiths, I really wouldn't recommend it, not only did they mess me about but my friend also had problems with her wedding dress she got off them.

Will try the outlet in stockport its only a 45 min drive Smiley smile xx

• R
    Beginner October 2015
    Rebeccafcr ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I don't know if this will help... but I am a plus size bride (the bigger end of plus size tho)

I went to 5 shops before I found my dress (drove from the midlands to essex for it!)

One of the shops I tried did have a sale rack... it was near huddersfield - http://bubblybridesboutique.co.uk/

they were really nice, just the dresses were not big enough for me.

they also recommended a shop near Castleford - http://www.thebigdayuk.com/

good luck.x

• F
    Beginner November 2015
    FizzyPixie ·
    • Hide content

If you are near Ormskirk try Copplestone Brides in Liverpool. You can buy off the peg in loads of sizes and they are lovely.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

I can't help you with local bridal shops but I managed to get a plus size dress (size 20, normally I'm a size 18) off the peg. It was a sample so it was a bargain too.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

That's really cr*p.

My friends got married 3 weeks after starting to plan the wedding & she still had an amazing dress (from a bridal shop) so it can be done.

Personally, I wouldn't get a dress from china, you only have to read the old threads on here to hear the horror stories... It seems that more often than not the dress looks nothing like the original or it will need a lot of alterations so is a huge risk.

If I were you, I would keep your eyes peeled for sales where you can get a beautiful dress which might have been the one the shop kept in stock for others to try on. If you need a larger size it might be worth calling a few shops and seeing whether they have any the size you're after which would be suitable and are available to buy now.

• P
    Beginner September 2015
    Pink1986 ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for copplestones bridal shop in liverpool, just by the Sir Thomas hotel, a friend of mine who is plus size brought her wedding forward and had to find a dress relatively last minute, the shop were great when we went it, and they have dresses you can take away the same day.

Hope you manage to get sorted xxx

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from this place too. The staff are fabulous. I went twice and never felt rushed and I'm so pleased with my dress. They are not connected to the Bolton one. Its called Wedding and Prom Dress Bridal Outlet or something like that. And I got my free tiara too, which is a really good quality one.

Good luck! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics