Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Z
Beginner August 2011

Wedding dress doesn't fit!!!

Zobo:), 25 October, 2010 at 10:42 Posted on Planning 0 8

I bought my wedding dress off ebay, it's Maggie Sottero Florence if anyones wondering, its a size ten and i'm actually a twelve, after having my two children. I thought it would be easy to drop the weight to fit into the dress, after all its only one size but i'm finding it impossible and i swear the dress is more like an eight, the corset panel at the back won't even close.

So what should I do give up and find a new dress or just do some major dieting???

8 replies

Latest activity by Sergzy, 25 October, 2010 at 22:47
  • Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Wedding dresses are, on the whole, two sizes smaller than standard anyway so it's very likely it's a small 8 rather than an actual 10. How long is it 'til your wedding? I wouldn't personally advocate manic dieting to fit into the dress as it's unnecessary pressure on yourself and will doubtlessly stress you out more than it's worth.

• S
    Beginner
    Sloan-R ·
    • Hide content

Wedding dresses are made to designers measurements not normal clothes sizes (although I found maggie sottero to be quite close to normal sizing) a maggie sottero size 10 will be different to an ian stuart size 10 and an alfred angelo will be diff and so on. Some say all wedding dresses run small and if it's a 10 it's a street size 8, it's not true for all gowns, the designers all go by their own measurement charts so you could be a 10 in maggie but a 16 in another just because the measurements are the same for the gown.

if it's waaay too small and you don't have the time i'd look for another. Did you ask the girl the measurements that you bought it from? If you did and they aren't the measurements of the dress you could return it to her as she gave you the wrong measurements, if you've paid by paypal.

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

Would it be possible to take it to a seamstress and see if she can adjust it for you at all??

• Z
    Beginner August 2011
    Zobo:) ·
    • Hide content

Sammyjay, my wedding isn't until Aug 2011 but i'm not sure i'll be able to get down to an 8, i don't think i've ever been an eight in my life, i might try getting down to an 10 and praying that it fits.

Sloan-R i bought the dress from an ebay shop, shop sample in the uk. The listing said 6-12 so i enquired and they said due to the corset back it would fit 6-12 like the listing said but i had no wedding dress knowledge and the dress was so lovely i just bought it without thinking.

• Z
    Beginner August 2011
    • Hide content

CLAIRYFAIRY2 Thats a good idea, but how much would it cost any ideas?

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

I think it varies from seamstress to seamstress, my friend had trouble with a bridesmaids dress that wouldn't go anywhere near doing up and a local lady amended it for £25 to a perfect fit. Where are you based, the lady I know is in Hertford.

• S
    Beginner
    Sloan-R ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would contact them, they have said it fits a 6-12 and you are a 12 and it doesn't fit. They should have listed the measurements of the dress and said but it MAY go up or down a couple of sizes depending on your shape to cover themselves. I think you have a good case for a return and your money back. It doesn't state a size 12 like they said it would so contact them.

• Z
    Beginner August 2011
    • Hide content

Thanks girls, I've contacted the seller but if that fails i'll be going to a seamstress and sensibly trying to get down to a size 10.

I'm in Hampshire CLAIRYFAIRY but i think that price is very reasonable, hopefully i'll find one here.

• S
    Beginner November 2010
    Sergzy ·
    • Hide content

I bought my Maggie Sottero from a wedding dress shop, and was well pleased when it almost fitted and was a size 12 on the label. However, that was the US size, and the UK size was a 14, so they do come up smaller as I am a 12 in normal clothes. Ended up buying a bigger size as I was worried about my weight, and am now slightly frustrated as by dress has to be laced very tightly and you can't see the detail of the lace as well, and it isn't as figure hugging ☹️

Zobo, please don't put pressure on yourself to lose weight to get into your dress. See how you get on over the next few months, but wedding planning and life in general can be stressful enough without you having weight loss challenges too. You could always try to sell your current dress on ebay and get one in the next size from somewhere else?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics