Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner September 2015

Wedding dress doubts

vwills, 27 of April of 2015 at 10:13 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi everyone - newbie post Smiley smile

I'm sure it's ridiculously common but I am really beginning to have doubts about my wedding dress. I chose and paid for it in November last year, and now it's coming up to the fittings in a few months and the wedding is in early September and I'm starting to really hate the dress. I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that I've put on a good stone since I tried it on and even then I didn't really feel great about myself - I have major body hangups and used to have a pretty severe eating disorder and still suffer with poor body image. The dress thing was always going to be tough for me but I just can't stop looking at the photos and wondering if I've made a massive mistake with the dress. My boobs were way too big for the original design so they're putting some lace inserts in to give me a bit of dignity (lol) but I am really paranoid that I'm going to go to my first fitting next month and be miles too fat for the dress.

Does anyone know how open bridal shops are to exchanging dresses - before alterations are made etc? I was told that this dress was a popular one with brides so they wouldn't have a problem reselling it etc, but I paid a fair amount already for this and can't afford to spend much more, particularly with the alteration costs (£60 an hour and I have no idea how many hours they'll need - does anyone know, roughly?!) I feel like I want to go there and look at some others but even at the time when I tried it on it was more a case of "this will do" than the usual expected "oh my god, this is the dress" thing. Might just be me though!

Anyone been through anything similar who might be able to help?

Here's a pic of me in the dress - they've stuck some lace cut-offs over the v-neck as an example of what they can do (without them it's like, "hello boys" not the dignified demure look I was going for, haha!)

I have been good about not looking elsewhere and stuff but I think I just really need to have a second look around so I know for sure whether this is the dress for me. I expect this is really really common with brides and their dresses but I'm just petrified I'm not going to fit into the dress now especially with recent weight gain and I'm going to look horrible.

x

16 replies

Latest activity by *J9*, 30 of April of 2015 at 09:40
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

You don't look too fat for it at all (and I say this as someone who's quite fat), but you do look like you're kind of slouching in the photo. Do you think you were? Your shoulders look very rounded and that's affecting the look of it.

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    vwills ·
    • Hide content

Ha, quite probably...I have a habit of slouching ?

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the above. Were you wearing heels? I think they make you stand straighter/prouder?

you certainly don't look fat, I'd be very happy with your figure!

i actually think it's a lovely dress.

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    vwills ·
    • Hide content

Thank you hun, that's really kind.

I do like the dress but maybe it's the whole expecting the waterworks thing and having that "WOW" moment which I never had. I only went to one shop and tried on 2 dresses before this one and I was getting stressed out and I thought I liked it and my friend was saying nice things so I just went with it. I'm starting to wonder if it's just me, and I'm not one for massive outbursts of emotion...or perhaps that whole thing about "THE DRESS" is exaggerated anyway!?

I actually was wearing heels...really high ones...which I love, but wonder if I can actually walk in them. I do tend to slouch though. Perhaps something to bear in mind for the photos...!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks lovely, agree with ID though, you do appear to be a little slouched, which doesn't help.

The thing is, we can all tell you that you look amazing and unless you're comfortable you're not going to feel amazing. Go and try the dress on again and if you're not happy then try some more on. But don't let it stress you out.

I had a major wobble when my dress arrived in store. I hadn't lost the weight I wanted to and had in fact put some weight on! But thankfully when I went to go and try it on again I remembered why I fell in love with it.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Maybe just try consciously straightening up as you walk around. I have a terrible slouch cos I spent two years using crutches which force you to round your shoulders, and I am forever trying to think about my posture. Here's a good model tip: your hips should enter a room before the rest of you. That's an exaggeration, but thinking about it always forces me to pull myself up straight Smiley smile

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

I think the dress looks beautiful and you have a nice figure! Maybe you could try losing some of the weight you put on before your fittings if you're worried it might not fit? Otherwise, I do think most dresses can be let out a little to make it a size bigger.

As for the posture, I agree, it looks like you may have been slouching. I have really bad posture too, and I believe I did the same when I tried on my dress. I am wearing small heels for the wedding and hope that will help me look a little more graceful but otherwise I just have to remind myself to stand up straight.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

It's beautiful! You just need the confidence to hold your head high because you look fantastic. Everyone dreads their first fitting a little bit but I hope it helps remind you that you look amazing. I didn't cry when I bought mine either, I made up for it on the day!

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

It is a really gorgeous dress, and you have a lovely figure.

I didn't cry when I tried on my dress. I bought it in November 2013 and it was over a year until my sister shipped it to Australia. I had a really dodgy photo of me in it and also some model pics. I honestly thought I was going to hate the dress when it got here, but when I opened the dress after not seeing it for 13 months, I remembered how much I liked it.

I don't cry over clothes.

If I were you, I wouldn't look at more dresses. I would put it on my "done" list and forget about it. However, that's me - and I'm not you.

• Charliebob
    Beginner May 2016
    Charliebob ·
    • Hide content

You look amazing. Honestly. I sometimes skip most of the things I read on here unless I have something to say.. and you look fab!

I too have had eating disorders in the past, and I know its bloody hard to carry on your life after you get over them.

I didn't cry either, I bought my first dress assuming I'd feel as gorgeous at the size 0 model wearing it, and I cried tears of sadness!

I hated it haaaaaated it.

I bought a second dress one which wasn't a designer but high street and because it covers me up more I feel more comfortable.

It's not the dream I dreamt of as a child but I look nicest in that style.

Don't think you have to fit in a stereotype 'bridal' look. You are you, and you chose that dress for a reason.

You have a great pair of knockers, I'm jealous I have nothing just a big bum!

With a good bra and with heels, your hair, makeup, will give you that confidence you really have deep inside you!

Don't change it, its a beautiful dress ?

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    VegasBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

You look fab in the dress... Curves in all the right places and the belt really draws in your waist. Hopefully you will feel better when you try it on again x

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks lovely on you. I wonder if you're putting too much pressure on the dress & yourself. I Didn't have the tears & its the one moment and I'm sure many brides don't. Its natural to have wobbles.

• V
    Beginner September 2016
    Violet89 ·
    • Hide content

That a gorgeous dress, I recognise it from my bridal website scouting, is it Mori Lee? It really flatters your figure, you look lovely in it. I don't believe it the whole 'THE dress' thing having always had terrible trouble finding clothes to suit me if I imagine there is only one out there for me I will give up now!

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    vwills ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone - I really feel more reassured!!

I think what I'm most worried about is the alterations as it looks like the bridal shop will be charging sooo much (like, 50% of the cost of the dress, minimum) for standard alterations. So I'm going over in a few weeks for a proper quote before maybe shopping around for alternative seamstresses. Also, seeing my dress again after like 6 months will probably help. I guess this is why bridal shops hate when you take photos as they're never great quality and we tend to look back on them in a different light!

It's actually a Maggie Sottero dress, the "Bronwyn" Smiley smile I do love Mori Lee though!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

50% ?! That's bonkers. Definitely worth shopping around!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely. I didn't need much altering, just length and that was only £40.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics