Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner September 2018

Wedding dress hemmed too short

ExpensiveOrangeCars59898, 6 of September of 2018 at 08:10 Posted on Planning 0

Hi girls,

I need some advice. I’m getting a bespoke dress made for my wedding next week. I went for a fitting yesterday and saw that the dressmaker had hemmed the dress too short, around 2 inches from the floor, and my feet were visible at the bottom.

I was wearing my wedding shoes at the last fitting when she measured me so I don’t know how this happened. It’s a simple silk sheath dress so the gap is very obvious and unsightly. The hem is really narrow so she can’t let it down.

Has anyone been in this situation, and is there anything I can do at this stage? Is it possible to stretch silk or let it down without starting over?

It’s so close to the wedding that there isn’t really time to make substantial changes or start over. I’m just so furious and upset by the whole situation. The reason it’s got this late is that she cancelled two appointments in a row and said it was too hot to work during the heat wave!

At the fitting the dressmaker tried to make it seem like it was no big deal, though it was so obvious it wasn’t meant to look like that. Do I have any consumer rights in this situation? It seems so absurd that you can spend £2000 on a dress and have no rights if it’s defective! Can I demand compensation if she can’t fix it, how much is reasonable and what if she says no?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, especially if you’ve been in a similar situation. Smiley sad

Xiaowei x

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I'm so sorry that you aren't happy with your dress alterations!

I don't know where you stand legally on this - maybe a call to Citizens Advice might help?

Just a thought - when my mum got married she wore my grandma's dress, but because she was taller, there was a gap at the bottom. The seamstress added a piece of lace to the bottom to create extra length, and it looked lovely! Maybe you could do something similar? I would recommend going to a different seamstress to get their opinion though, on any alterations that you make from here on. Have a call round and explain the situation.

You could also post a picture on here - it may not look as bad to others as it does to you. Sometimes, because you have an image in your head of how it should look, it looks worse if it doesn't match. Could she have deliberately made it shorter in order to prevent your shoes catching/you tripping?

Good luck! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics