Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2022 Hertfordshire

Wedding dress - how do you know you’ve found the one?!

Charlotte, 20 of July of 2021 at 17:52 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 5
I just wondered how you all knew your wedding dress was the one when you tried it on? Everyone talks about ‘the feeling’ and expect tears from themselves and their guests but I didn’t get this!

I went dress shopping a few weeks ago, my third shop and I had more booked. I’m very indecisive and I had already decided I wasn’t going to find my dress in this particular shop so I was surprised I did! It’s not what I thought I’d pick at all but it ticks boxes I didn’t even realise were there. I also felt like none of my normal insecurities existed, didn’t want to take it off and was so excited to wear it again. Problem is I’m now over thinking it and wondering if I was swayed too much by other peoples opinions! It’s such a big decision and my wedding isn’t until next summer so it’s a long way off!

5 replies

Latest activity by Aseel, 27 of July of 2021 at 21:15
  • Sarah
    Savvy August 2021 Suffolk
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    With mine it just felt like it was me, I felt so comfortable and didn't want to take it off either. I too started worrying straight after buying it that I'd made a mistake and it wasn't the right one, but I've been back twice now for fittings and absolutely love it still! I think it's a totally normal feeling, try not to worry and remember how you felt when you decided it was the one Smiley smile
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I wasn’t expecting to find the one in the first shop I went to but I did. I have had a few wobbles over it but my seamstress has made some alterations to it and now I love it even more. I start panicking before each fitting then I’m fine afterwards, I think there’s so much expectation on the dress it’s natural to have a few wobbles.
  • L
    Beginner April 2022 Cambridgeshire
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I tried on A LOT of dresses and got completely confused 😅. I actually went back to a dress I couldn't even remember trying on - I spotted a photo my Mum had taken and thought it looked quite flattering in the photo.
    I didn't have a 'moment' or tears etc. but when I went back to try it on again I could imagine walking towards my fiance in it at our venue. I was comfortable and didn't want to take it off. Then when I left the shop (still without buying it) I realised I was now thinking about what shoes would go with the dress, and aid stopped thinking of the other 'maybe' dresses I had tried on - so that's what decided it for me! 😂.
    I think dress worries are entirely normal - but if you're concerned that you were too influenced by other people, you could ask to go and try the dress again by yourself? I'm sure you'll still love it and it'll put your mind at ease!
  • R
    Savvy May 2022 South West London
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

I'm probably in a minority of people, I genuinely care more about the cake than the dress (which my MoH likes to remind me all the time). I bought a relatively inexpensive dress online that is very 'me' and not at all white/ivory - I thought job done. My MoH was quite insistent that I go to a dress boutique and try on dresses because 'when else do you get to do this'. So true.

I took 3 bridesmaids for the day out to the middle of nowhere - halfway between where my mum lives on the coast and us in London. I had ZERO expectations to buy a dress and was really just trying dresses on so that everyone could have the experience. I did end up being persuaded by everyone that this one sample dress was 'for me'. There was another dress that I think if I'd been there alone, I might have bought instead, but ultimately my mum's tears and my friends' positivity pushed me towards the one I bought. It's ivory which is the opposite of what I thought I wanted, but it's my dress. I think similarly I've had thoughts of immediate regret because I didn't feel anything overwhelming, but occasionally I take it out of the garment bag and I do feel excitement.

Oh and now for the girl who couldn't care less about the dress, I will wear 2 - I kept the original dress for the evening as it's the most 'me' dress I think I own. Weirdly everyone commented that the two are really complementary to each other, which reduced any further doubt.

If you are concerned, just put a pin in the dresses you feel 'swayed' to like by others and go back by yourself and see if you feel anything similar without an audience. Or look them up online to see if model shots or anything help your feelings.

• A
    Beginner July 2022 East London
    Aseel ·
    • Hide content
    I relate to this! Bought mine and started getting major anxiety that I had rushed in to it and what if it wasn’t the one etc. Then I reminded myself how amazing and comfortable I felt, and looked at the pics of me trying it on at the shop and felt better every time. Also keep reminding myself - it’s one day, I’ll have a professional hair, make up, photos retouched, like I’ll look amazing with all that no matter what I wear!!! Haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics