Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kat Furlong
Beginner October 2016

Wedding dress - how long did it take to find yours?

Kat Furlong , 12 of October of 2015 at 23:00 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hello all!

How long did you spend looking at and trying on wedding dresses?

I've tried a fair few on, and love the 50's tea dress style dresses, but whenever I try them on, I fall in love then look at the picture afterwards and think 'meh'

Im feel so fabulous and girly in them, but at the very same time - I feel disappointed that I'll end up with one. I'm not sure if it's because I expected to love a princess dress with train, or because people will expect me to be in a full length dress... I don't know.

how many dresses did you try on? I've been to a couple of stores and tried on lots of different styles, but keep coming back to short dresses.

Anyone had a short dress?

10 replies

Latest activity by BridgetJonesNoLonger, 14 of October of 2015 at 04:59
  • B
    Beginner October 2015
    BridgetJonesNoLonger ·
    • Hide content

Mine was the first dress in the first shop which I really wasn't expecting! I picked 9 dresses in the shop & knew instantly that it was 'the one'. I think it's best not to go with too many pre-conceived ideas. I think most of us find and love a dress & it's not what we thought we wanted. How it looks in the picture doesn't always help as it often looks different in person.Try on lots of different styles and this way you'll start narrowing your search. My dress is full length.

Good luck

Bx

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

Mine was the first shop and the second dress.

Went to another shop to make sure it was the one, and turned out it was so a week later I put the deposit down.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I found my dress on the first shopping trip me and my BM went on.

I had an idea in my head of what I wanted and it was REALLY hard to see myself in anything else. I too wanted a tea length/knee length dress, with cap sleeves/straps. (& I found it - the second dress I tried on!! - here's my dress thread, with a pic of my dress; https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/513279.aspx)

I did try on a couple of the normal strapless princess dresses, and also full length dresses with sleeves - but they are definitely not me, and I knew they wouldn't be!

I wouldn't worry about looking back at the picture of yourself too much. I look back at my picture all the time and think - 'do I really like it?!' and I really don't want to be second guessing myself all the time, so I've stopped looking at it and my dress is safely tucked away at my future in-laws.

Don't go with what's expected of you! My sister told me that mine wasn't very dressy, and wouldn't I want a veil (which she proceeded to pick our a gaudy lace number for me...) and I realised I'm not much of a girl girl person.

Go with what YOU want- it's YOU & YOUR H2B's big day.

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

First shop, second dress out of seven - was quite lucky!

I didn't have that 'wow' moment, just knew I liked it and the people I was with liked it too Smiley smile

Go with what makes you feel comfortable and you know you'll look forward to wearing. Remember that photos taken with a phone in a shop with maybe not the best lighting and you not in all your finery obviously won't stand up against a professional photographer when you're beaming with happiness after marrying your OH!

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

About 8 shops and probably over 60 dresses...then I went with one of the first ones I'd tried! I wasn't sure at first because it was different to what I though I'd have so it took a while to convince me there was nothing better out there.

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

I only went to one shop, tried on about 7 or so and it was the 2nd dress Smiley smile

i didnt want to look at too many as i didnt want to get confused

• C
    Beginner May 2016
    claireo1981 ·
    • Hide content

I tried on over 20 dresses at 4 shops. The one I chose was about the 4th dress in the 3rd shop. I tried on just about every style imaginable as I'm quite fussy and wanted to cover all bases! I'm very happy with the one I chose and absolutely can't wait to wear it!

Just trying to decide whether to go veil or no veil.

• Kat Furlong
    Beginner October 2016
    Kat Furlong ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your replies ❤️

I'm going to a few more shops in a couple of weeks and taking my mum and brother (my head brides man!) I've told them they're to pick a few dresses each they love, and I'll do the same and we'll see what happens!

I keep reading stuff about how you 'fall in love' with your dress and how 'it had the wow factor' and am fretting I won't feel that and will end up feeling like I've 'settled' for a dress and always wishing there was something else ?

The main thing is just to marry my OH - I'm trying not be be too bothered about the details - as long as we're married and everyone had a great day, that's what matters to us. But still, I only get to wear it once and can't help worrying it won't be perfect ? (there are bigger things in the world to worry about, hey)

• Kat Furlong
    Beginner October 2016
    Kat Furlong ·
    • Hide content

It's also reassuring to see it took some brides a while too!

• B
    Beginner October 2015
    BridgetJonesNoLonger ·
    • Hide content

You have loads of time so no need to rush into this decision. Can the staff also suggest styles that would work well for you? I know how you feel, I found sourcing most things easy but getting my make up right was a nightmare. I had about 4 trials, spent over £200 on products & still no joy. I started to worry thinking how important it is for your face to look right but it all worked out in the end, phew! You will find you dress & you will look & feel like a million bucks.

Good luck

B x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics