Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner October 2013

Wedding dress looks different on than in picture....

Irisbride, 18 of August of 2012 at 17:04 Posted on Planning 0 12

I had my first experience of wedding dress shopping today and think I found the 'one'. It was a dress I would never have normally gone for, but when I tried it on I loved everything about it- the detail, the fit, the style etc. As it was the first shop I'd been to I decided i should probably make some more appointments and try some more, but still had it in my head that it looked perfect and was the right dress. However, when I got home, I saw the dress in a wedding magazine on a model and it looks completely different on her and I don't like the way it looks on her. Obviously I know dresses will look different on different body shapes but the fit seemed really different, and now I'm wondering if thats what it looked like on me but I just didn't realise?

i know this probably sounds a bit stupid- but has anyone else had this experience where the way the dress looks on you looks completely different as to it does when it is on a model? Just feeling a bit disappointed now as completely loved the dress when it was on me and didn't want to take it off, but really didn't like the way it looked in the picture in the magazine!

x

12 replies

Latest activity by Irisbride, 19 of August of 2012 at 09:59
  • ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about it, my dress looks effing horrible on the website but it looks completely different in real life. I think some dresses look nicer on different figures that models don't necessarily have, and editing/airbrushing can make it look different as well. I've seen plenty of brides on here flash dresses that look completely different on than they do in the picture.

• Annie k
    Beginner June 2013
    Annie k ·
    • Hide content

I am in a similar situation. The dress I like is not the style I thought I would get and it was in the first shop I went to, picked out by the owner. However in the picture on the internet it does look very different on the model. I have tried other dresses but this is still my favorite so am going to try it on again next week to see if I still feel the same. I think wedding dresses all look different on any one who tries them on so you have to go with the one that feels right

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Can we have a flash? or link?

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! You've all made me feel a lot happier about it!

It's Sophia Tolli 'Marielena' Y11215. Here's a link: https://www.rkbridal.com/

It's not a style I would have picked and I didn't even tag it in the shop- the assistant picked it out but as soon as it was on i loved it. in the picture it looks different to how it looked on me- I don't think the fishtail/mermaid bit looked quite so defined and sort of flowed nicer when I tried it on.

x

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Dresses generally do look different in the picture. That's why you should try everything on and ignore the pictures! I wouldn't worry about it.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I'd never have picked my dress from the website picture. The shape, the colour and the detailing were all totally different.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks like a beautiful dress, if it's even nicer in real life then wow!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I really wouldn't worry about it. My dress doesn't look the same on me as it does on the model but to be honest, I think I prefer it slightly more on me. I just wish I had the models height!

• samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

Mine looks a bit odd on the model, it even looks a bit weird in some pictures of me wearing it, but in person I love love love it! Pictures just don't seem to capture the beauty of some dresses quite right I think.

• J
    Beginner October 2012
    jess_brodey ·
    • Hide content

I love my dress but if I google it then the pictures really don't do it justice! They don't capture all of the details, the photo on my mobile is better. Trust yourself - you know how you felt about it, when you see it again you'll remember why you loved it!

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content

To be honest with you, looking at the picture of the dress on the model, I think you can tell they've posed her and moved the dress to really accentuate the fishtail type look - looks to me like her legs are twisted to the side under that dress and they will have fluffed the skirt to look as fishtail-like as possible. So I would not worry at all that it looks different on - they just wanted to show off the features of the dress as perfectly as they can but obviously on a person standing and walking normally it would not be as pronounced! Don't worry!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies! You've made me feel a lot more reassured- think I'll book another appointment to go back and try it on again!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics