Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Wedding dress made in China

sarahcarroll20, 31 of March of 2012 at 08:26 Posted on Planning 0 25

Hi there

I was wondering if any of you have had experiences that you could share about having your wedding dress made in China? I am really considering this as it is so much cheaper, but was wondering if anyone could recommend a supplier as there are mixed reviews out there. The dress I am looking at is quite plain - ivory taffeta, mermaid style, a few rouches around the waist/hips.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has had their dress made abroad.

Thanks!

25 replies

Latest activity by jcoopydoop, 17 of September of 2015 at 15:27
  • rosie24601@hotmail.com
    Beginner September 2012
    rosie24601@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

I would like to hear about this also! - I've found one i love to bits and it's only £85!!

I think i have the worlds smallest wedding budget lol so really need to keep cost down.

Is yours from Ebay Saracarroll20?

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I was tempted as well as the dress I'm planning on getting is at least £600 to buy the sample (or £850 to have it ordered in) whereas I've seen it advertised by Chinese sellers for less than £150. But I've read so many mixed reviews, even from people who have bought dresses from the same seller, that it doesn't really seem worth the risk to me.

• bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

I bought mine from china..and im completely happy with it...but lauh is right..there are mixed reviews and for every good one there will definately be a bad story...i thought it was worth a punt and it paid off...but then im not a girly girl and didnt go and try 100s of dresses on...i went to a couple of shops and got an idea of the best style for my figure.

The dress itself is well made and fitted perfectly!

Its a case of buy and beware.......

• Debidoo!
    Beginner May 2012
    Debidoo! ·
    • Hide content

As bexybexy said its very hit and miss! Mine is a bad story unfortunately! I ordered a copy dress from China, measured myself 4 times to make sure I got it right, yet the dress was literally 2 sizes too big and being strapless, just fell off me. Also the fabric they show in the pics can vary drastically from what they use. The lace on the skirt was just awful! Like very cheap 1970s net curtain material and it wasn't even cut properly and had bits hanging off the bottom.

I have read on here that some brides have been happy with their chinese dresses though, so it really is hit and miss. I wouldn't take the risk to be honest!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

This is a classic Hitched thread. People have had awful China dresses and been very dissapointed by them whereas some (GeordieBarbie is one I remember but there are others) who have had a positive experince.

Use the search function and see what you can find- hopefully will be some more advice for you.

• S
    Beginner August 2012
    Spookle ·
    • Hide content

I brought my dress from china and i am happy to say it paid off for me, but i did take a big risk and was well aware that i could have ended up with a dress only fit for dusters, i also was prepared to loose the money i had spent and still have no dress so my advice would be only go for it if you are prepared to loose your money

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's worth the risk. The other option is to buy second hand from somewhere like preloved or buy a sample dress. Find out when shops are having sample sales and look then.

• rosie24601@hotmail.com
    Beginner September 2012
    rosie24601@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to buy mine from an Ebay China retailer, I know its a risk and have looked at there feedback and they have 869 positive reviews and 0 negatives .... ordering a simple and custom size dress so hope it pays off :/

• S
    Beginner
    sarahcarroll20 ·
    • Hide content

Would you mind sharing who you used? It would be great to get a pointer in the right direction?

Thanks!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. There seems to be a weekly China dress thread at the moment.

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi

This thread may help a bit https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/p/299112/2804343.aspx#2804343

Nat

• rosie24601@hotmail.com
    Beginner September 2012
    rosie24601@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the link to my dress, just click on the seller and you can see her feedback and dress choices x

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320740782974?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_4290wt_1078

• L
    Beginner November 2013
    lollie14lollie ·
    • Hide content

Try dressonlinesale.co.uk It's very cheap, and based in uk. I haven't ordered off them personally but some of the dresses look lovely and the reviews are quite good. I have saw a few possible bridesmaid dresses.

• *willow*
    Beginner
    *willow* ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.ecochicmagazine.co.uk/people-planet/the-misery-behind-the-six-euro-wedding-dress

This should help you make an informed decision. If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is!

• S
    Beginner
    sarahcarroll20 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks!

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

I bought my bridesmaids dresses from China. They came really quickly and all but one fits really really well. Possibly depends on the website cos someone at work ordered their MOB outfit from China (different website) and it was awful. If it helps mine was from weddingdressonlineshop.co.uk. Didnt know they were Chinese till I ordered but another friend is getting hers from that website now too.

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Mrsbeevers2b ·
    • Hide content

Hey

I've been looking on www.weddingdressonlineshop.co.uk , these dresses seem as cheap as the Chinese ones but its looks like a UK site. I'm thinking I might risk it and if the dress is ok but doesn't exactly fit I will have some spare money for alterations. Has anyone used this website???? What did you think???

• FrauPW2B
    Beginner October 2015
    FrauPW2B ·
    • Hide content

Well I just fell into this trap and wasted £85 on a Chinese wedding dress from eBay. I did suspect it was all too good to be true and it was. Luckily I had a back up dress also..... Phew

just wanted to share my experience so others don't waste their hard earned cash.....dress nothing like picture and quality appalling!! Have left negative feedback and expect seller to kick off about that shortly!!!

x

• S
    Beginner June 2016
    shelleyw21 ·
    • Hide content

I ordered a dress from China via Ebay and it never arrived. It said 12 weeks to delivery so I left it 14 weeks and started chasing. When I tried to report it to Ebay they weren't interested as it was over their 90 day policy. I tried arguing that at 90 days I wouldn't know if the dress would be supplied or not to be able to claim but they weren't interested and I lost the £180 I'd paid

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content

There is a facebook page called Brides Beware where they feature all the bad stories and warn against some sellers from China. Definitely have a look at that before you order.

• T
    Beginner January 2018
    ThroughGreenEyes ·
    • Hide content

I considered looking into buying a wedding dress from China I did some research and decided against it as it's too much of a risk and you could just end up spending more money having to buy another wedding dress in the UK after.

Personally I wouldn't want to buy a dress without trying it on first. Have you looked into sample sales or high street wedding dresses from say somewhere like BHS?

• FrauPW2B
    Beginner October 2015
    FrauPW2B ·
    • Hide content

I got myself my dream dress from a bridal shop...it cost me £400 and the RRP was £1300... It was the shop display/try on dress... And it only needs a dry clean.....

so yes I got my fingers burnt and I just wanted to re highlight this reoccurring issue..... It's a false economy buying a Chinese dress on Ebay....to be honest it so bad I won't even sell it on ebay myself for a £5 as I don't want negative feedback...so my daughter got a dressing up gown for £85...??

i think ebay should request these sellers photograph the dresses they actually make not the designers 10k gown they intend to insultingly imitate! It's false representation.....

rant over

• FrauPW2B
    Beginner October 2015
    FrauPW2B ·
    • Hide content

My profile pic is not the Ebay dress lol

x

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

You can have a really good experience buying clothes from China, as long as you're savvy about it. I've bought numerous ballgowns, dresses, blouses etc from Chinese sellers and had very few problems (I think 1 problem item out of 50+ items bought).

My key tips are:

*Do your research. Use Google imagesearch to see if the seller has used a designer's picture rather than one of their own, check reviews online, see if people have posted about them on other forums or Facebook etc.

*It is generally better to go for sellers who use their own designs, rather than designer copies. That said, many designer copies are made in the same factory and buy the same people as the dresses being sold in outlets (in fact, the Chinese come to Harrods' sales now because even their big stores are flooded with fakes - it's the only way they can guarantee getting a genuine designer item).

*Don't expect too much - if a dress is £2,000 in the shops, but £50 online, it's probably not going to be as good as the designer version. However, you need to make sure that you aren't spending more than you can afford to lose if you do receive a product you aren't happy with - and put some aside for customs charges, just in case.

*Don't buy "standard" dress sizes. Chinese people are not in the same proportions as British people, so not only will the standard size run small, but it is likely to fit badly even if you get a size which does meet your measurements. For example, their shoulders are narrower so if I buy a standard size coat from China I am a size S-M on the bust and XXL on the shoulders.

*Make sure you are measured by someone who has experience in dress-making or tailoring - and always take more measurements than you think you are going to need^. Even if you think you've got accurate measurements, there are things like easement and seam allowance to take into account and different seamstresses make different allowances. I usually add 1-2inches for seam allowance and movement room. As a general rule of thumb, the maximum you can let a dress out is one dress size - and in most cases not even that, because they cut the seams off so close - but you can take it in as much as three or four sizes depending on the style.

^For a column/sheath/mermaid full-length dress with long sleeves, I would usually take the following measurements:

Across the back from edge of shoulder to edge of shoulder

Arm circumference at widest point

Arm circumference at elbow

Arm circumference at wrist

Length of arm from edge of shoulder to elbow

Length of arm from edge of shoulder to wrist - straight and bent

Bust circumference at fullest point.

Length from neckline to natural waist (taken down the back)

Waist at narrowest point

Length from neckline to natural hips

Hips at widest point

Thighs at widest point

Calfs at widest point

Length from hips to floor - straight and bent

Length from neckline to floor

• jcoopydoop
    jcoopydoop ·
    • Hide content

Be careful! If you buy your wedding dress from abroad and it's the wrong colour or the wrong size, you won't be covered by wedding insurance!So check the returns policy (my friend got caught out and got lumbered with the badly fitting dress which she just had to throw away in the end).

If you haven't got wedding insurance yet I would highly recommend weddinginsurance.co.uk - my friend had to make a claim with them and she said they were great. I got mine with them last week, and they sent me an email with a discount code for 10% off. it's BRIDE10 if you want it?

Anyway, just be careful with ordering dresses online - bridesmaid ones too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics