Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2012

Wedding Dress Nightmare Please Help???

butterflies01, 3 of June of 2012 at 23:28 Posted on Planning 0 39

My worst nightmare came true yesterday, id gone with my bridesmaids for their final fitting. when we arrived at the shop the shopkeeper asked if we would mind waiting as the last fitting had ran over. we were fine about it and waited in front of the shop. i have aslo bought my wedding dress from the same place and was aware that the dress was hanging just behind my friends. me and my mum had decided to keep the dress a secret until the big day. my bridesmaid started to flick through the dresses one by one commenting on various parts of each dress. og i like that or oh that flower is nice, mostly positive. im not a good secret keep and was worried if she picked my dress out my face would give it away. i turned around to say would she mind not commenting as it she picked mine out i wouldnt be able to keep my face straight and the secret would be out. she kept quiet but continued to flick through the dresses. i was facing the other way so couldnt really see what was going on. what happened next coulnt have been any worse, i overheard her say well at least i know you wouldnt pick anything like THAT! and started to laugh, as i turned around i nearly dropped dead as i discovered it was the dress i had chosen!! i was devostated, i didnt say anything for a second becuase i couldnt quite believe what had happened. she continued to call the dress frumpy etc until i had no choice but to step in and say it was my dress for fear the calling of it would continue. obviosuly she was so shocked she didnt know what to say. i burst into tears and sat through the whole fittings absolutely devostated. i arrived home in a state of shock and thr lady from the dress shop rang to colsole me. she said she hadnt come across anything like this in 35 years.

My bridesmaid has since contacted me to apologise for the incident, but in my opinion the damage is done and nothing can be said to make me feel better about it.

i loved my dress before yeaterday and now i am worried everyone will think its horrible, i get married in twe days!

My mum is so upset shes offered to buy me a new dress, she spoke to the shop keeper who said i could go in on wednesday and pick any dress of the rail and she would fit it for me for the wedding if thats what i want. i love my dress but also want to feel confident in my choice on the dress too, do you think i should stick with the original??

39 replies

Latest activity by The Bridal Room Leicester, 8 of June of 2012 at 12:06
  • DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Yeap, you loved the dress so what she thinks shouldn't matter.

• M
    mam of the bride ·
    • Hide content

Poor you, what a thoughtless BM, she should of thought before she opened her mouth.. If you love your dress go for it, im sure you'l look lovely. you will probaly regret it if you change it.

Your mum must have loved the dress she would of told you otherwise (wouldn't she)

Hope you get something sorted, good luck xx

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

What a thoughtless thing for your BM to say!

But remember, you know when you were looking at dresses on the hanger and some of them you wouldn't have really liked until you actually got them on as they always look better on a person rather than the hanger?

You loved it for a reason. Your Mum loves it for a reason. Your OH will love you in it.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

That's awful, but just try and remember why you loved the dress in the first place, it must have looked beautiful on you. What a dress looks like on the rack can be nothing compared to what it looks like with a bride wearing it. Maybe you could go with your mum and try it on again to make you remember why you loved it?

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely keep it!! She hasn't seen it on. I know of ppl that thought their own dress was awful/frumpy etc until they put it on and it turned out to be the one! \you will look fab. Remember we all have different tastes anyway...thats why we dont all pick the same dress. Try it on again on Wed and remember why you love it xxx

• Aurora13
    Beginner August 2012
    Aurora13 ·
    • Hide content

Its hard when your confidence has been knocked, but try to remember why you loved it! And imagine your H2Bs face when he sees you in it!!

dresses always look different on the hanger!!

looking forward to seeing pics! xx

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

What everyone else has said. Wedding dresses look so different on someone then they do on a hanger. Why don't you go back and try it on again, hopefully you will fall in love again!

• A
    Abigail-360 ·
    • Hide content

Remember we all have different tastes anyway...thats why we dont all pick the same dress

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness, you must have been so upset. I can also imagine that your bridesmaid is feeling pretty mortified at the moment too and I'm glad to hear that she had the decency to call you up and apologise again.

All I can do is echo what everyone else here has said. Dresses often look a bit non-plus on the hanger but when you put it on, your body contours bring out the actual tailored structure of the dress and shows off the tiny little details that compliment your body shape. When I was bridesmaid to my mate Liz, she picked out what I thought was a blimmin horrible dress and I thought she had lost her mind, but when she put it on she looked sensational and I completely melted when I saw her in it.

Ignore your bridesmaids comments as her taste will be completely different to you. Try the dress on again and see how you feel - btw, the lady at the shop is absolutely amazing to offer you a shot at another dress in such a short space of time! Thanks to her great customer service, you have a back-up plan just in case you need it.

Chin up petal, I'm sure you will look fabulous!

x x x

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

Aww how awful. But as people have said, she hasn't seen the dress on you and it never looks the same on the hanger. Do you have a flash you could show us?

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Not only does it not really matter what one person thinks (particularly the sort of person who is happy to sit in a supplier's shop and be unnecessarily rude about what they are selling - to go on and on about something you don't like is not a particularly polite thing to do, especially when you're not even in there for yourself) BUT looking at wedding dresses in a magazine is VERY different to looking at them on a person, most don't even look like the same dress once they are on. You must put this to the back of your mind completely. It was a thoughtless throwaway comment that I am sure she deeply regrets - don't let it hang over you (or her) any longer.

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

If it makes you feel any better my dress looks horrendous on the hanger and I only tried it on because the lady in the shop kept telling me to ? but once i got it on i knew it was the one and didnt want to take it off. Hope your ok. xxxx

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

I think alot of dresses look different on and off the hanger if it wasnt perfect for you you wouldnt have chosen it Smiley smile

• *Cloud9*
    Beginner August 2013
    *Cloud9* ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others. A lot of dresses don't look like much in the hanger but look amazing on. I'm sure your BM wouldn't intentionally want to upset you and is probably feeling awful!! Why not go try it on again and perhaps take her with you so she can see it on and you can remind yourself that you still love it Smiley smile

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

I can totally understand why you would be devastated. I agree with others though, dresses look completely different on than on the hanger. Just remember you loved the dress up until yesterday. Do you have any pictures?

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    butterflies01 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone, thanks for your comments, here is the dress xx

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

No pic showing hun, hope you can make it work - sure you look amazing in it!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

A dress on a hanger looks nothing like it does on the right person. You loved it, presumably so did your mum. Go to the shop with your mum and try it on again, if you really don't like it anymore take up the kind offer of an exchange. I am sure that you will feel differently once you get it on.

• S
    Beginner July 2013
    swcbride ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a unanimous vote that you should keep your dress! I had exactly the same thoughts as everyone else - dresses look different on the hanger, and you BM has not seen you in the dress. Go for it!

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, that's dreadfully unfortunate. But I bet she is feeling absolutely mortified herself as well and probably totally gutted to have said something that dreadful! If you can talk it through with her I think that'd be a good idea.

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

You should definitely keep your wedding dress, you love it which is why you picked it, don't let anyone get you down, everyone has different tastes. You asked your bridesmaid politely to stop the comments and she didnt, I bet she does feel awful but its your big day so I would make up with the bridesmaid. Good luck on your wedding day!

• shetlandlover
    Beginner October 2012
    shetlandlover ·
    • Hide content

The dress is lovely. Not frumpy at all.

My dress is ugly on the hanger, infact I refused to try it on at first. But once I did it felt and looked right. If you liked the dress up until your bridesmaid said that, wear the dress. Who cares what she thinks? Until she's seen it on you I don't really think anyone can comment.

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    butterflies01 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the comments guys, im going to go on wednesday even if its just to reasure myself with my existing dress. ps, i can see the picture, not sure on anyone else can??

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

had to click a few times to get the pic, it looks lovely, certainly not frumpy! Like everyone else has said dresses look soooo different on the hanger x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

You stated in your OP that you get married in twe (2??) days! ... so what good will another dress do you on Wednesday ??? or have I got that wrong ( nothing new is that if I have ! )

Other than that I agree with the others, you picked that dress for a reason and you know how it looks on you compared to the hanger.

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    butterflies01 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry my typing error, should have said twelve days x

• llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

That dress is gorgeous, I love the train detail.

Dont worry, its not frumpy at all, dont know where your bridesmaid got that from!

Im you and everyone else will love it on the day,

Good luck

x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh ! now that makes sense !....your dress is lovely, really can't see why it would be described as frumpy .

• H
    Beginner September 2013
    hev54 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I showed my bridesmaid a picture of mine and she said it was nice but a bit footballers wives! Not the look I was going for but I like it and I know I've passed comment on wedding dresses before. They might not be my cup of tea but each to their own and we all look great in different things. If you look and feel great in it, then who cares.

• H
    Beginner September 2013
    hev54 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I showed my bridesmaid a picture of mine and she said it was nice but a bit footballers wives! Not the look I was going for but I like it and I know I've passed comment on wedding dresses before. They might not be my cup of tea but each to their own and we all look great in different things. If you look and feel great in it, then who cares.

• LeedsBride
    Beginner September 2012
    LeedsBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well I don't know what the front looks like, but if its anything like the back it is absolutely stunning, and not frumpy at all! it is stylish and elegant, I love it ?

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Mrsrobotham2b ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others not a frumpy dress in site, its really nice and the train detail is amazing xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics