Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Wedding dress or dress makers? FLASH!

26 June, 2012 at 19:19 Posted on Planning 0 6

I have been having a browse, I love vintage style with a bit of difference and I have known for a long time that I do not want a big dress, It's not very me, I am a bit of a girly hippy! I have fallen in love with this dress:

The only problem is that it comes with a WHOPPING price tag and if I save now, I might be able to get it in 2014! It is Ellie from Halfpenny London, It's either going to be £1500 or £2500. The first is if it is a vintage dress and the latter if it is the Halfpenny Collection, which I assume it is!!

Can anyone justify this? My initial aim was to go to shops and have the whole bridal experience with my Mum, find THE dress and then look for it on Ebay instead. Nice and cheap but I feel deflated when ever I see other dresses as they just do not match up to this one! It's completely me!

I have enquired at a couple of dress makers as well, I have had a rough quote for work and fabric on top of that which comes to £1150, all adjustments and fittings included. Does anyone know of any, preferably in London or the Midlands, I would rather find the right seamstress so I draw the line at Scotland and further!

Has anyone had a dress made for them? Do you have any pictures? Was it what you wanted?

Now, we do not have a date set, just in around 2-3 years. We have had a bit of bad news in the family and will be having a huge engagement party as unfortunately a very special member of the family will not be able to attend the wedding. This has meant that we don't have to have the wedding sooner as we originally had thought, so can save for things for a bit longer should we need to.

I just need opinions and help, I am totally willing to save up, but I know my family will think I am completely barmy! (and so will i)

6 replies

Latest activity by Caraboo, 27 June, 2012 at 15:48
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I would also suggest that you do the whole 'dress shopping' kaboodle as well to be honest. You may love this online, but then actually try something similar on and realise it doesn't give you the feeling you think it would. Looking at stuff online gives you an idea of what you like, but not necessarily what suits you.

And it'd be a shame to miss out on dress shopping!

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi

My daughter is having her ideal dress made by a dressmaker in Norwich called Love Couture. She will tailor what you have in mind to a particular budget should you wish. Might be worth contacting her to have a chat. We have a fitting on Saturday for the one she is doing for my daughter.

Hope that helps

Lynne

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

Even if you do end up going back to this dress, or at least this style of dress, it's important to get out there and try on lots of other different styles. Not only is it fun for you and the girlies you take along, you may also be surprised and fall in love with something completely different, or find out that something flatters your shape better. I'm also a bit of a tomboy and had an idea of the type of simple dress that I was after. In the end, I bought a massive dress from Pronovias that I would NEVER have chosen before I tried it on. I didn't even like it on the hanger, but the minute I put it on, I knew it was "the one". You'll hear plenty of stories like that from other brides, too - even though you're confident that you know what you're after.... I was adamant I knew best when all these other designs were coming out!

And ... if you end up going back to that one dress, you've not lost anything by trying on others. I think it's part of the whole bridal experience to go and dress up in some outrageous dresses ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics