Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner March 2017

Wedding dress payments

RomanticGingerDesire, 2 of November of 2015 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hey guys

so getting ready to go dress shopping

do you pay for the full balance on the dress or do you just pay deposit?

19 replies

Latest activity by MadamRed, 9 of November of 2015 at 20:14
  • MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

You pay a deposit (unless you go to an outlet, where you take the dress away on the day), but I think that the amount varies depending on the designer and the shop. I paid a 50% deposit on my Maggie Sottero.

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

Thanks madam red

I think I want a Maggie sottero too

just trying to make sure I know what to expect

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I bought a Maggie Sottero shop sample for half the asking price. Paid £150 deposit and they stored the dress until I was able to pay the balance, which I did a few months later.

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

This is making me feel positive

how much roughly are wedding dresses.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

I had to pay 50% on ordering and the remaining 50% once it was in the store.

I think it depends on whether your dress is sample or you are buying new and also the shops policy.

May be worth checking with the shop before hand.

My dress was £1700 but prices really vary by designer x

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content

I paid 30% deposit on my dress then 3 monthly payments, to make it up to 50% on my first dress fitting. I didn't see any new dresses in bridal shops for less than £1k but I only went to 3 & didn't look for samples. Smiley smile

Hope this helps!

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Price wise, lots of factors - who the designer is, what material they have used, how complicated the design is. I know this isn't useful, but if you are looking at expensive satin dress, with lots of intricate detail and a massive dress it will be more expensive than a column chiffon number with a belt for detail.

I wanted a straight chiffon number, and the most expensive one I tried on was £1100 and that had a lot of beading and sparkles all around the neck and back area. I ended up buying an ex sample for £450, which was originally £900 (well £895) so it depends on your own style.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Think mine was £1250 new. I tried a few on just to get the experience (made my first wedding dress, and had no intention of buying a proper one this time, but just wanted to play dress up and see how it felt to wear a 'real' wedding dress) and didn't want to take this one off lol. Emailed them the next day asking if they would sell me the one I tried on for a discount. Now just need to drop 3 dress sizes to get into it lol (which was on the cards anyway, regardless of getting married or fitting into dresses). If you find one you love that's out of the price range you can always ask the question - they can only say no. But at least you'd know what the make and model is to go off and look on Gumtree/Preloved/ebay etc. I've found 2 of mine for a similar price to what I paid, so it's possible

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

I got mine for 1260 and had to pay 50% deposit and have to pay the rest when it comes in.

• B
    Beginner February 2016
    BearFeb2016 ·
    • Hide content

I opted for a Sottero and Midgley dress. The shop I got mine from had a 50% deposit and 50% on dress arrival policy. Mines come in at £1200, some i looked at where closer to the £2000 mark.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a very simple silk Sincerity dress which cost £850. I had to pay 50% at booking and 50% 4 months later.

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys making me feel better

Need to start looking as wedding is next November and have yet tried one on

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Mines a lace mermaids with train. Price to order 1450.00 but I bought the shop sample dress that has been tried on by other brides for 400.00 and she capped my alteration costs at 150.00

I brought the dress home same day so paid the 400 and it goes back in a couple of weeks for alterations.

• jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

I got mine in a designer sale and paid 50% when I made the order and will pay the rest when the dress arrives. The alterations are done separately but I do dressmaking myself (though not to bridal standard!) so I'll know what needs doing when I try it on so no one can try ripping me off ?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I paid 50% deposit for my Maggie and the remainder when it arrived 3 months later although some stores do offer payment plans but may be restricted by designer (not sure as I didn't do it)

I think a Maggie can range from about £900 up to £2000 or thereabouts. Can't go wrong with a Maggie, they're gorgeous!

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

Mine is also a Maggie Sottero and cost £1250. I paid one third of that when I ordered it and the rest when it arrived.

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    LauraLtobe ·
    • Hide content

I went to an outlet and so paid for mine in full and brought it home. Mine was only £300 and is definitely "the one" so it's definitely possible to get an amazing dress for a cheap price (if that's what you're after). The outlet store I went to did also do payment plans though.

• K
    Beginner October 2015
    Kcatnip ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't choose between two dresses, one was £450 and one was £1700... I went for the expensive one but will have to sell it which makes me a little sad. Let me know if you fancy a second hand Charlotte Balbier! We paid a 50% deposit and then the rest before we collected it, alterations were £175 (capped).

I think its possible to look and feel beautiful regardless of how much you spend, just depends on your budget and whether you are happy selling it afterwards I guess.

• Kat Furlong
    Beginner October 2016
    Kat Furlong ·
    • Hide content

I haven't got my dress yet (wedding oct 15th 2016) but have tried a few on. Prices ranging from £200-£860. Typically, the one i love is £860! But that does include alterations (fairy tail dresses, Wrexham)

Going for a bit more dress shopping on Saturday, dad has given me a £750 budget, although I really don't want to go over £500 for a dress for one day. On the same note, I've put money aside in case my dream dress is over £750!

The shops I've been in have been paid in full for the cheaper dress, and the more expensive one was deposit then balance later on.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

If you go for a Maggie, it pays to shop around. The first place I tried it on quoted me £1,695. Once I'd decided I was definitely buying that dress, I emailed a few other local stockists asking if they stocked it and how much they sold it for. I made it quite clear that I was just looking for the best price for that particular dress and wouldn't be trying anything else on. I managed to find somewhere that stocked it for around £1,500, which was already £200 cheaper than the first shop, but then they offered me a further 15% off if I bought it that month as well, so I ended up saving over £400 compared to the price at the original shop.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics