Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

loopy_lisa 91
Beginner June 2015

Wedding dress- plain white dress- any suggestions?

loopy_lisa 91, 24 of March of 2014 at 16:35 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hello everyone. I had a really good day yesterday. I was feeling pretty healthy and h2b and me went shopping and I actually tried on some dresses (away from h2b when he went to HMV and some other 'mypartnerisshopping' man stores lol).

I tried on two reduced dresses in BHS (great quality, and even better value), two dresses in Monsoon (bit too pricey for me), a dress in Coast (waaaay over budget) and one in Quiz (if I wanted short, it would have been the one!).

But I think I'm quickly realising my dream dress doesn't exist. Especially not in my price range. So today I called some dressmakers to. But again it is sounding like my dream dress is not in my price range. But one of the dressmaker Jan said it would be cheaper to adapt a dress. She suggested finding a plain white dress and tarting it up to make my vision because this will be cheaper than her making the dress from scratch. So now I am on the hunt for a plain white dress I can tart up to make into my dream wedding dress.

Can anyone suggest somewhere I can get a white, a-line dress that looks like it could become a wedding dress? I've got £50-£75 for this so that I have money left for the altering from Jan.

Cany anyone make a good suggestion?

Thanks!

5 replies

Latest activity by alyj66, 25 of March of 2014 at 17:34
  • alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what you mean by A line, sorry. Have you any ideas of what dress you would like adapted?

There's this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nicola-Anne-Dress-/111300772119?pt=UK_Women_s_Dresses&hash=item19ea0b0117

which looks like this;

Or did you have a different shape in mind?

• loopy_lisa 91
    Beginner June 2015
    loopy_lisa 91 ·
    • Hide content

Hoping I can add this picture right and not mess it up. A-line is the first dress cut shown in the picture.

Yes! Did it! Get in!

Thanks for the link- I'll check it out ?

• McFarley
    Beginner September 2014
    McFarley ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lovely, Have you tried the charity shops. Some in the bigger cities have loads of fabulous pre-loved wedding dresses so might be a good place to start if you're on a really tight budget x

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

As a PP mentioned, charity shop dresses are an option and there a few preloved wedding websites. The other option is light in the box. Now... I've not used them and I've heard mixed reviews (just want to be completely honest) BUT a friend of mine ordered three bridesmaids dresses in size tiny to ++size and all were perfect for next to nothing.

Worth a look... They take you measurements and make you a custom fit dress. Smiley smile

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like you're after something quite 60s style, so I'd give eBay a try. You might be surprised at what you find!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

There are loads of that style on eBay, depending on how plain you want it and what size and some starting at rock bottom prices, I hope you find something.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics