Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2013

Wedding dress prices? How much?? Too Personal?

Katybear, 8 April, 2012 at 12:03 Posted on Planning 0 20

Sorry if this is rude, but I'm really not sure about pricing on wedding dresses. I've just started to look for dresses now and the one I liked I was quoted over £5000 including alterations. I was hoping to spend around £3000 but is that not reasonable? I do want something special but I would rather put the extra £2000 on the honeymoon!

Again, I'm sorry if this is too personal, but I really have no idea what sort of expectations I should have for pricing on a dress!

Thanks

xx

20 replies

Latest activity by ESW, 9 April, 2012 at 09:05
  • D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

Lol take a zero off! Mine was £400, a sample sale dress. Will probably add another £100 after alterations. That must have been some frock!!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

This is very much down to personal thresholds and budgets. I couldn't even begin to imagine spending either of those amounts on a dress! I spent 650 on an Provonias sample gown, 80 to dryclean it and 30 for alterations. I could have afforded to spend as much as 2k if I'd wanted but just couldn't emotionally justify it for one day and would rather we spent the money on the house or a new car which we desperately need.

I think you'll find many brides on here probably spend in the region of £800 - £1500 but no one can tell you what expectations to have as it's you that spends the money and wears the dress!

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the same as me.

I went to a few shops and tried on ones I liked up to £1800. One I really liked was £1400 with free alterations but I just couldn't justify it. Our whole budget was £5000, though it has now changed to £9000 with the aid of us both getting better jobs.

I am really happy with my £400 dress and Im not sure paying more would have got me something Id have like more.

It really is a personal choice but do make sure you're getting a good deal. Is it £5000 because it is covered in valuable jewels or is it a name your paying for. Either is fine as long as you know what it is that you're actually paying for and you are willing in your heart to pay it.

I would never criticise a bride spending too much or too little. Its all personal choice.

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

I have a Pronovias dress, it cost me £1000 and I'm not sure how much alterations will be, not that much as it's just the straps that need adjusting.

• K
    Beginner July 2013
    Katybear ·
    • Hide content

Cool thank you guys for the feedback! I will try Pronovias, they're quite big from what I hear.

How do you get a sample-sale dress? Are there often sample sales around London?? Do you get to try the dresses on at a sample sale?

As you can tell, I have VERY little experience here,

Thanks x

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katybear. I used to work in bridal (many moons ago) so I had an idea what the dresses cost before I started. Based on that and what I thought I could save in time (only getting married 9 months from decision to bring the wedding forward a year to the actual date), I went with a budget of £1500 fr the dress.

I tried on dresses of all prices from £500 to £2921 as the most expensive I found (it was lovely too - Hollywood Dreams Theodora dress)

Sample gowns are ex-display dresses and the one you try is the one you buy, so watch out for size and also marks (like makeup marks etc). Usually you try a dress in the shop and then one in your size or closer to your size is ordered from the designer and can take 6-8 months plays to arrive in store (mine only took just over 2 months though).

When I set out I decided that I definitely did not want a sample gown, as it wouldn't feel special, although there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a sample gown. They are perfect if price is a major concern, it was just my preference not to.

Price is just a matter of circumstance and what feels right. I ended up buying a dress that was £600 under budget. It felt right (I cried when I tried it on). Don't be afraid to travel for the right dress. My local shops had some lovely dresses but just not the right one. I saw one online and hunted it down. Call around the shops and call the dress designers to find out what shops have bought specific gowns, as the shops only carry a small selection from each designer. I live in South Wales, but bought my dress approx 150 miles away in Shropshire!

Some dress designers for you too google to get you started:

Ellis Bridal

Sassi Holford

Sottero & Midgely

Mori Lee (my dress designer - lovely new 2012 collection)

Hollywood Dreams (designer of the £2921 dress I tried on - exquisite dresses)

Ronald Joyce

Ian Stuart

Essence

Pronovias

La Sposa (I nearly bought their "Singapur" dress)

St Patrick

Sorry for the long reply, hope that helps xxx

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Mine was maggie sottero and coat £1200. £5000 is crazy money!

• K
    Beginner July 2013
    Katybear ·
    • Hide content

Huge help, thank you so so much for all the tips! Have looked at some other designers/shops and have sent in more emails to request appointments. Thank goodness I have 15 months to go before the wedding but I do want to get better options at reasonable prices.

I agree, £5000 is bonkers, I am not willing to spend nearly that much but I think I realise now I will have to do more searching and trying-on.

Has anyone managed to negotiate on the price they were quoted or is it set at what they tell you??

Thanks again for all the tips!

xx

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

I didn't try and negotiate the price to be honest, but I have heard of many people doing it successfully. I don't think I have haggled at all with anything. Always worth a shot though Smiley surprise)

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Who's charging £5k? ? is it like a swarovki encrusted gypsy wedding thing?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I had to read the original post three times. five THOUSAND?! Which designer is charging that?!

My dress is an eternity bridal and has cost £854, plus up to £100 for alterations and additions (i'm having a lace bolero made) to the dress. That was £300 over budget for me.

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

My dress is a Ronals Joyce dress and is £950 plus £70 hoop and £70 alterations. Which designer is the 5k dress? ?

• K
    Beginner July 2013
    Katybear ·
    • Hide content

Caroline Castigliano?? She has a boutique near my friend's flat in Fitzrovia.

I am SO pleased that that sort of pricing is the exception, not the rule!! I had a tiny heart attack when they handed me the quote!

xx

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

CC are quite expensive and are beautiful but then again so are many others at a better price.

I went to Ireland to get mine.

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

Ive just googled her 2012 collection. The gowns are beautiful but Im sure theres nothing you couldn't get for under £2000 either in another store or made for you.

I also bought mine in Ireland but thats because I fell in love with one when I just happened to be out there.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Which CC dress was it? Some people on here might be able to recommend something similar if it's a style of dress you love.

They have some gorgeous dresses but £5k is a fortune!

• K
    Beginner July 2013
    Katybear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The style is called Montpellier - Duchess Satin with a ruched cummerbund. £4500 plus £500 fitting and £450 for something called toile??

xx

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

CC dresses are very expensive - Sassi Holford might be a good alternative for you? Famously flattering cut and simple lines. Most SH dresses are around 2500 - still expensive, but a bloody bargain compared to £5000!

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

OMG I have just fallen in love with that dress and me and OH got engaged on the beach in Montpellier ! Maybe I could sell a kidney !

Sorry I'm not being much help! £5000 is soo much money! My budget is about £1000- £2000

Laura x

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

Umm 5K you could pay for most of my wedding! I paid £99 of an auction site for a £885 Trudy Lee never worn, tried others on in shop up to £900 which would have been my budget had I not found The One.

But then if you had 5k to spend on a dress would you?? ??

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics