Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner April 2023 Sorrento

Wedding dress shopping alone

Jill, 30 of September of 2022 at 16:59 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 6
Hey, I’m getting married in 2023. As much as a love being engaged and planning a wedding, the thought of dress shopping fills me with dread. My mum and sister are keen to come with me but they’re very opinionated, don’t listen and don’t fully agree with my style of wedding (small, rustic, informal). They both have this vision of what a wedding dress should be (ball gown, sparkly, tiara etc) and it couldn’t be further from what I want. I want to go dress shopping on my own first to narrow down what I want, so I can be firm with them at future appointments, but I know they’ll be upset if I do this. They would also be upset if I took a friend instead of them. I’ve contacted 3 dress shops to ask for an appointment by myself and all of them have insisted I bring people with me. Is going wedding dress shopping alone really that odd?

6 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 4 of October of 2022 at 14:59
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    You say they will be upset, BUT you are upset by the way they are controling your choices and decisions. It is your day, your dress and your choice to do what you want. It is not odd and am surprised shops are insisting you bring someone, have they actually refused an appointment? It maybe that they realise you won't be buying on the day if you said you would then come back with others, which is wrong on their part as lots of brides don't commit on first try.

I would say you should go with a friend you trust, don't tell your mum and sister. If you narrow it down to a certain shop at the end of the appointment say you want to come back with your mum but ask they don't mention you already came in. Or you could then say to your mum and sister that you had a moment of madness and popped in to a shop to try some on but want them there for when you pick from your narrowed down choices. The final option is be honest with them, explain how they have made you feel, confronting, yes, but maybe will make them realise their opinions/behaviour is hurting you and is not their choice. I hope you can do what you feel is right, that's all that counts, good luck x
  • J
    Jill ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you Charlotte, I appreciate you replying. The shops have not refused appointments but two questioned my decision to go alone and strongly advised that I take people with me (to the point it felt I had to justify myself). I have been emailing the third to book an appointment and they offered dates, but as soon as I said I was coming alone they advised that I wait until family or friend was available, when I said I wanted to go alone they didn’t reply. I think I’ll take your advice and ask a friend to go with me for the first few shops so I can narrow down my options. I wish I could confront my family but it’s easier said than done, it becomes a 2 against 1 situation. Thank you for your advice, it’s good to know I’m not being awkward Smiley smile xx
  • Kate
    Beginner November 2022 Cheshire
    Kate ·
    • Hide content
    I didn't take my mum until I had actually chosen my dress. Even then she commented on the size 🤦🏻‍♀️.
    Before that I took no one. Like you mentioned so many people have opinions and if, like me, you don't like confrontation, it is much easier going alone. I know what suits me and more importantly what I like.
    Do what's best for you. Good luck ❤️
  • J
    Jill ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Kate, thats really nice to hear. You’re right, I don’t like confrontation either. I think wedding dress shopping is portrayed as this big girlie day with champagne, and happy tears, and your bridal party gushing over how good you look but it’s not the same experience for everyone. I’m glad you found your dress, I’m sure you look stunning 😊 have an amazing day when it comes x
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    I went to wed2b on my own the first time I tried dresses. I wanted to try dresses without anyone else throwing in their opinions and for me to decide what suited me. I chose a weekday afternoon, knowing it wouldn't be too busy.
    It felt really good being there with just me and the assistant. I was able to focus on me and what I wanted- rather than being swayed by others. I didn't tell anyone else I went and I'm so glad I did it.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's really odd that the dress shops are questioning your decision to go alone - I would be inclined to look at other shops if that's their attitude - the last thing you want when trying to stand up against a pushy family is to have a pushy salesperson too! I only went to one shop, and did end up going with a friend, but it was a last-minute decision because she suddenly became free on the morning I was going - up until then, I was planning on going alone and the shop treated it as perfectly normal that I would do so.

Personally, I would not go dress shopping with anyone I felt was going to try to override my wishes or be negative about a dress I liked. You mention 'upsetting' your family if you go with a friend. Does that mean you would actually like to go with a friend? If you would, then go ahead. If you don't want to upset your family, then you could always book an initial appointment to go to with them 'to get an idea of styles and silhouettes' and then go back later on your own or with a supportive friend.

I didn't actually let my mother see my dress until my wedding day - I knew I couldn't trust her not to be negative, so I just said I was keeping it a secret so it could be a surprise on the day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics