Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner November 2011

wedding dress shopping alone...?

sarahh123, 26 of January of 2011 at 19:49 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi all,

Has anybody been wedding dress shopping alone?

The problem I have is that I live in Birmingham, my closest friends & my sister live in London, along with my mum who doesnt have much interest in the wedding, so its hard to get them up to look at dresses as I feel I might be wasting there time if I dont find something straight away!

A few work colleagues have offered to go with me, but I think im so unsure of what I want that I need some time to choose

Is it weird to go alone? Im so used to my h2b being involved in everything, its hard to have to keep the dress a secret, as I rely on his opinion alot

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

xxx

18 replies

Latest activity by miss.understood, 27 of January of 2011 at 12:56
  • Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

I heard of people going dress shopping on their own before

It's not unusual, you could always go on your own first to get

an idea of what you like/want, then take your work friends

along with you when you have more of an idea of what you want.

• M
    Beginner March 2012
    mrs a to be ·
    • Hide content

talk to your friend/sister - they might be upset if you go without them.... dont go on your own
  • Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I've seen other brides do it when I've popped into my bridal shop before. There's nothing unusual about it. Some people prefer it that way so they dont get a million different views OR everyone saying how lovely they look when all they really want is an honest opinion!

I didnt want to go on my own as I'm a bit of a wuss, but the bridal shops will have had plenty of brides go on their own so wont think any different.

Do what works for you! If you want to go alone, do, but if you want someone with you ask your BM's I'm sure they would love to come.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I went to 3 shops. 1 on my own, 1 with a friend who isn't a particularly close friend but is very girly & 1 with my mum. I actually think I had the best experience going on my own as the woman in the shop was most helpful & I didn't feel like I had to look for approval from anyone, it was about what I really liked myself. If you go on your own go midweek when they are quieter & you should get a bit more time to work out what you want.

• joannexyx
    Beginner July 2013
    joannexyx ·
    • Hide content

I went alone before. it was actually quite good because i got to spend as much time as i liked without people gettin on at me.x

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

Also although I went to try dresses on with my mum and sister, when my dress arrived I went on my own and tried it on alone and I felt much more comfortable on my own and relaxed. I even asked to try on some of their jewellery to see how it looked with the dress, which I wouldnt have done if my mum and sister had been there (they are very intense).

• S
    Beginner November 2011
    sarahh123 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou all for the comments, I feel alot more confident about going alone the first time, as I think it would be hard to get honest opinions with lots of people saying different things

My sister and I have very different styles, and I dont think my mum is interested at all, so probably best not to have her there for the first time!

Ive been dreading the wedding dress shopping part but now im excited

?

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    Missmeeru ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a few bridal shops on my own in the past few days and quite enjoyed it just to rule out shops really as didn't fancy dragging my friend around with me as she has a long way to travel to me, I'm taking her at a later date to the bridal shops I have seen dresses I like on me, over the past 2 days I must of tried on 20 or more all different designs, very weird though as i have a design in my head and try on another design which i never thought would suit me but does!!!

I would go!!!

• victoriamarie
    Beginner July 2011
    victoriamarie ·
    • Hide content

I went dress shopping alone and ended up buying my dress! Nothing wrong with going by yourself, and if you do end up ordering a dress you'll know it was 100% your choice and not influenced by anyone else x

• Annakarin
    Beginner May 2011
    Annakarin ·
    • Hide content

You'd better ask your mum to go with u, i think it's necessary to get advises from others. But if u do have to go alone u should take photos when trying different dresses.?

• B
    Beginner April 2011
    bhekib1983 ·
    • Hide content

I went with my mum to the first one, then had a disasterous attempt with mum and sister then went on my own on the spur of the moment as i had the bug for trying dresses on and found the one i liked. did take mum and sister back for a 2nd opinion but in all honestly i was going to get it no matter what they said as i loved it and the ladies in the shop were lovely.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

?I went on my own to the Berketex sale day just to have a look, was convinced I wouldn't get anything but I ended up buying both the dresses I wanted - the 'proper' wedding dress is nothing like I thought I'd go for but as soon as I tried it on I knew, and no matter what anyone else would say to me I knew it was my dress - I always thought people were making it up when they say you'll just know, but I did and I love it ? The woman in the shop actually said that they prefer it when the bride is on her own as there are less busy bodies sticking their noses in, and everyone is so different, she said she's seen so many brides find their dress only to be crushed by the reaction of a not-very-good friend or overpowering mother. I felt brilliant finding my dress, and the only person I care about liking it is my OH! I've since shown other people - one of the joys of getting a sale dress is it's in my own wardrobe at home now and I can look at it as much as i like! - and they all love it, my bridesmaids thought it was amazing and nothing like how they imagined my dress would be.

Go for it!!! you'll have a great day with the ladies in the shop, they don't even try too hard for the big sell as one of them said to me, you don't have to sell wedding dresses, if it's the right one, it sells itself

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I went alone. My CBM lives in London, and I din't want my mum or gran confusing my decisions. The women in the shop were amazing, and once I picked the dress (and paid the deposit so I couldn;t change my mind!) I took my family with me to see it. They all loved it! Go alone, you know yourself and your style better than anyone else in the world. As my gran said as soon as she seen the dress 'it's just so you!'

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

I am planning to go to a few dress shops on my own as well as some with my mum and bridesmaids as logistics are a problem for us – I am based in Rugby and my mum and two bridesmaids are based in Manchester/Preston/Lancaster and the other one is working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean! I don’t have a problem with this at all, but then I am quite happy doing a lot of things on my tod….probably prefer it that way most of the time to be honest!!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yip i did intitally!! went, found the dress, liked it, then took a couple people with me to see their reactions!! much preferred it that way!!

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Yep.. went on my own to all the bridal shops, found it much better and more of an honest opinion.

ordered my dress and then took a friend from work and showed mum only a few months ago.

much better I say.. lady in the shop loves having this way, as mentioned above.. more contradictive responses etc.

wasn't so stressy !! definatley do it xxx

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

Thankfully I only went to one shop in total and that was with my mum and aunt. It was stressful, they're bossy buggers and always know best, also they push what they like on you so it's confusing. So in many ways it is best to go by yourself, have an idea of what you like then take others along the next time.

• miss.understood
    Beginner February 2011
    miss.understood ·
    • Hide content

I just decided to take the H2B along with me. He was great actually. He helped me pick my dress and the colour, and is coming with me this saturday for my first fitting xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics