Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

PrettyFlower90
Beginner July 2016

Wedding dress shopping alone?

PrettyFlower90, 30 of May of 2015 at 19:35 Posted on Planning 0 13

Just wondered if anyone on here has ever went to try on dresses alone? I'm from NI so can't really go with mum and family, they are gonna come over, but I'm hoping to have a shortlist ready to show them. Haven't been long in the area we live, so I don't have a lot of friends here. I have one who is coming with me in next few weeks for a day in glasgow and a night closer to home. However there's a few outlet places I want want to go to as hoping to get my dress second hand/ex sample, and I obv can't have my friend constantly driving all over with me every time I wanna go to a shop. I'm thinking of maybe going alone to a few outlet shops as don't want to waste an opportunity to find my dream dress, but not sure if that's the best thing to do.. Anyone else gone shopping by themselves before?

13 replies

Latest activity by JenCTR, 1 of June of 2015 at 09:07
  • HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I didn't go alone but if I hadn't found my dress so quickly, I totally would have.

I think it is a great idea to narrow it down to a shortlist yourself and then get a second opinion. In normal non - wedding dress clothes shopping, I do it better when I am by myself. Sometimes people aren't completely impartial and put you off things you like because it isn't their taste or just say you look nice in everything.

You can always see if the shops will let you take photos given you are alone.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I did, no regrets! I know I'm easily swayed at times so didn't want to hear anyone else's opinions, I felt anxious enough. Glad I did.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Yes I did several times! Although I went with friends too, going on your own means you don't get a hundred different opinions. It was fine honest.

• PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content

HelenSomerset that's a good point, I always go normal clothes shopping by myself! Lol I never usually care what people think as long as I like what in wearing.. I don't know what I'm worrying about, I just didn't want to feel stupid booking an app somewhere and they're like, why are you alone? One place I am going to with my friend, when I asked if it was okay I had someone with me, she said she would encourage me to always take someone and I guess it's just stuck.

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

I totally would go by myself if I had anything else for my mum to be involved in... as it is she's offered to buy my dress and it's nice to also use this chance to let my younger sister (who also won't have much involvement) to play a part in the planning process.

I hope you have a great time and then get to show your family your great choices Smiley smile

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

I went with one other person as I want to keep my dress a secret until the big day.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I went alone as I live in NZ and my family and close friends are all in the UK. A couple of friends here offered to go, but it didnt feel right to me for them to see my dress before my mum and bridesmaid.

I know a lot of places don't like you to take photos but I explained that I was a long way from home and everywhere i went was fine with it. I took photos of all the dresses I tried and sent them to my mum, cousin and best friend and they all helped me decide.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

I went to a few shops with my mum and sister and ended up completely stressed out. Then went to one on my own and found my dress! I'd definitely recommend it, I found it so much easier not having everyone else confusing me with their opinions! I took them back after I'd ordered it and tried it on again so I don't feel like I missed out on anything

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I did, once by myself. I went a few times with my mum & sister and realised that they were picking everything out for me.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I went by myself, tried it one and bought it. I only tried that one dress on. I took my mum to see it a week later, I loved it so didn't really care what others thought.

• PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content

I am definitely feeling a lot better about going alone now! Thanks for all your comments! Smiley smile Hopefully going to go one weekend, even just to one shop I found on Fb, it sells preowned and ex sample dresses at half the price so def don't want to miss anything just coz I'm alone!

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyBrownDiamonds138 ·
    • Hide content

I went alone to a few, I feel bad asking people to come and 'put them out' or to be honest I am not comfortable with too many people so I didn't mind going alone.

• JenCTR
    Beginner May 2017
    JenCTR ·
    • Hide content

I've been swithering with this! My mums a nightmare and we're not close although she wants to be (its a very forced relationship) and I kind of want it to be a secret as everyone says I'm awful at keeping secrets so I want to prove them wrong!

Will take my Maid of Honour to look / when I've found 'the one' as I'll need someone to put me into it Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics