Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner June 2017

Wedding dress shopping - can't find "the one" :(

FutureMrsCC, 25 of June of 2016 at 17:41 Posted on Planning 1 22

After visiting 4 wedding dress shops and trying on numerous dresses, I just don't feel like i've found "the one". I've found 2 which I really like but people always talk of the moment where you just know it's the one. I'm not a very emotional person and can't see my crying when I try on a dress but I still thought it would be easier than this.

I've got 2 more shops booked but i'm just feeling really disheartened. Also wondering whether i'm being too fussy.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to compromise on what i'm looking for but thinking I may have to ☹️

22 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 4 of July of 2016 at 16:50
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Which are the two yu liked and what stops them being the ideal in your head. ?

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

I was exactly the same, which ones do you like at the moment?

Are you thinking designer? Have you come across Jesus Pierro? His are stunning Smiley smile

Chin up, your dress is out there and as soon as you put it on you will know. Can you have a little break from dress shopping? This might help clear you mind xx

• E
    Beginner September 2016
    ExpensivePurpleBridesmaid569 ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean!!! I also didn't have that "The One" moment everyone talks about! However I did find my dress. ? It's a big decision! I just went with what looked good on me.

I was actually initially unsure about the dress I ended up getting, but my mind cast back to it when I tried on another similar dress, so I looked it up online a few weeks later, loved it in the pics, so went for a second try-on & got it! Obviously it's a beautiful dress, but it was more that it looked better on me than others than a "Wow" moment!!!

• S
    Beginner May 2017
    Slink ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have a feeling of the one. I picked a dress out and was going to buy it but as soon as I left the shop i had doubts. When I went back I picked a different dress which makes me feel great and everyone who has seen it including the family who had the appointment after me said how lovely it is.

It's not "the one", I didn't cry or have any amazing feelings when I put it on. But I look great and I think it will photograph well Which is all I care about.

You'll find the dress, whether you have those feelings or you just end up thinking about a dress constantly after trying it on.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I suggest you consider having a different mindset.

I sometimes look back at my wedding and think my dress wasn't the one, but then I also think 'I couldn't imagine getting married in anything else though"

SO maybe instead of getting that 'moment' maybe you could consider going with the mindset of

"I could imagine getting married in this"

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

Maybe you can go to the tailor, to make your special wedding dress

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Very true aspenlady. And there are so many dresses out there that even if we found the one and cried and thought it the most beautiful dress we had ever seen, if we carried n looking and trying on I'm sure we would find others too. When you look in the mirror its all about do I really like this dress. Does it make me feel beautiful and confident. Can I see myself walking down the aisle in this dress. It's not about tears for everyone. You will find something you really want to wear even if it doesn't make yu cry! X

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

As previous posters have said, far too much pressure on finding "the one" and crying and being emotional.

I hated the experience, felt like a prized cow playing dress up, and so left it quite late, bought an ex sample (6.5 months from the wedding) and I had some changes and I was happy when I left, as it fulfilled my practical needs and preferences. If I had my time again I would have started the search earlier and I am 99% sure I wouldn't have bought what I wore.

However, I needed no help in going to the loo, and the dress looked good in the professional photos and everyone said I looked lovely, which in fairness would happen even if you turned up in something from Rocky Horror because no one would ever dream of saying anything else! Just take a break, go back to it and as long as you only buy a dress that you are happy with and looks good it won't matter. What's more important than finding the one, is dismissing the no's, and listening to yourself. If everyone is telling you that's the one, but you are not sure - listen. Go back once time has settled and try it on again, any ounce of doubt means it's not right.

It will get better and try on dresses that look a bit plain and try on with a belt for example, because sometimes the accessories totally change the dress in a way that you can't foresee. Good luck x

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsCC ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your advice, it's so refreshing to hear that i'm not the only one.

I've had a think about what I don't like and realised all the dresses I was trying on had a different neck line to what I would usually go for. I have this one dress that my fiance loves on me, so i'm trying to find something similar. I've got a few more appointments booked and I know what i'm after now. I have also just contacted a dress maker and she is quoting it up for me.

This is what i'm trying to find, but I can't seem to find one that isn't on a cheap american replica site! Any ideas anyone? I shall have a look at the designer mentioned previously.

Thank you! x

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

I think there is a lot of pressure to feel that overwhelming "this is the one" moment! I think I went to at least 6 dress shops and tried numerous dresses on. I Am a very emotional person usually but never got that tearful moment with any dress! I was starting to feel desperate and disheartened after a while. But my advice would be to just try and enjoy the dress shopping and just chose whichever one you feel good in and looks the best, don't put too much pressure on it as you'll just stress yourself out. You'll find the right one hang in there.

• I
    Beginner December 2016
    IceBlue ·
    • Hide content

Ian Stuart does a few V neck dresses with similar straps - might be worth a look on his website?

• R
    Beginner August 2017
    rose_tree86 ·
    • Hide content

What about this augusta jones dress http://www.krystlebrides.co.uk/wedding-dresses/augusta-jones/augusta-jones-marina-wedding-dress.html

Xx

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I went to two shops a few weeks ago with my BMs, found three I liked in the first shop, & the entire experience in the second shop was appalling. I did leave thinking I'm unlikely to find something I absolutely love.

BUT, I popped into another shop the other day on my own on the spur of the moment, had a chat with the lady & within 10 minutes she'd picked out the most unbelievable dress for me & I've fallen in love with it! I can't really afford it, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it! Smiley smile She also put me in 3 other dresses, all of which I would happily wear. I think for me it was as important to have a connection with the lady in the shop as she really got what I was saying I liked, & the vision of our big day, & I think that massively helped.

I've got another two shops booked in, so if I find something I love equally in either of those two then great, but I'd just say don't give up hope, as I nearly did & now I can't stop thinking about the dress I found.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry! As long as your wedding isn't next week, it doesn't matter! I'm in a similar situation but I'm not surprised - I'm fussy! I bought a £60 dress from a charity shop that I liked (but not loved) and since learned my fiancé doesn't like that style... So I'm keeping it as a 'just in case' backup but started proper dress shopping last week - EXCITING! Mum took me to loads of dress shops over three days (I think we went to five?) and I tried on tons of dresses... And didn't like ANY of them enough (although there was one that I did like a lot!)... But I'm not worried! Be as fussy as you like and take your time (assuming you have time!).. My wedding is in a year and I have the feeling ill be searching for a good few months before I settle on something! Just enjoy it!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Everything I found was way over budget, I wanted a coloured dress but it was almost impossible to find on the lower end of the dress budget. I've ended up buying a nice dress that suits me that I'm going to add more to as my family and I can all make reasonably good quality clothes.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Don't panic. It took me around five months and four different shops to find my dress. I knew that I hated big dresses and lace so I started early as I expected it to take some time! The first shop I went to, I tried on every style just to be on the safe side and that helped me realise what I did and didn't like. I actually tried on my dress in that first shop. I loved it, my bridesmaids loved another dress, but I didn't want to buy a dress on my first visit. I then went home and kept thinking about that dress. I then went to another shop which was awful and really disheartening. I then left it a while before I went to a third shop where I found another dress that I liked.

I then left my fourth appointment a little while longer and they ordered the dress that I initially liked in for me to try on. I felt like I needed to try the dresses that I liked all on at the same time so that I knew what I liked. By this point, I had kind of forgotten how much I liked the first dress. When I tried it on again, I didn't get that "it's the one!" feeling but I did really like it, it really suited my shape and it is my style. I felt really nervous saying that it was the one as it is a really big decision but, as others have said, I don't think I'll find another dress that is more me and looks better on.

You will get there. I found that trying lots on and eliminating them by what I didn't like really helped x

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the above comments. I haven't been dress shopping yet, but I was really worrying about it as my budget is so small. I think I'd just decided that my choices would be so limited in that price range, I would just have to settle for something that was 'OK' rather than 'perfect'.

And then I realised that there's probably no such thing as the one and ONLY dress that makes you look stunning. Every bride looks gorgeous on her wedding day! She'd look gorgeous if she wore pyjamas!! Your wedding day isn't made special by the dress. The dress is special because you wear it on your wedding day Smiley smile

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Awww, don't worry too much! I tried on soooo many dresses. I didn't really have that big emotional "the one" moment, but eventually narrowed it down to 2 or 3 faves, tried them all on again and got sister's and Mum's opinions!!

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

Justin Alexander has similar shapes to his dresses and they are georgeous!

I have been looking at the brands in my local shops then going onto their designers' websites and writing down all the styles I like. I am then searching for other shops that hold this make so if the first shop doesn't hold the style(s) I like I can then go to a different shop or email them and ask if they have it or can get it in. Some of them charge to get them in if they don't have that style, but if I get panicking I may use this option. I have noticed there are a lot of spring collections in various designers so presumably they release new styles at certain points in the year? If you have plenty of time wait a few months then try again.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

I have just found this one which has a similar bodice...

https://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/wedding_dresses/8850

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

How about this one? I tried it on and it is really lovely. It was £995 including the belt X

https://www.essensedesigns.com/essense-of-australia/wedding-dresses/d1951/

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Sme beautiful options here. You will go from can't find the one to can't make my mind up between 2!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics