Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner February 2024 Greater Manchester

Wedding dress shopping - charges

Kat, 31 of January of 2023 at 16:33 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 8

Hi All, I just wondered is it usual for shops to charge you, i understand if i wanted a personal appointment and lots of assistance, but i just want to wander round and have a browse and get a feel, but i cant seem to even step foot in the place without paying - this doesn't feel quite right....... or is it? Thanks

8 replies

Latest activity by Lex, 5 of February of 2023 at 14:27
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Kat,

I see you’re up near Stockport, I’m not far from you, and I didn’t pay to go to the dress shops I was interested in. Maybe some of the posh ones in Altrincham or Knutsford charge though 🤷‍♀️
    I didn’t find any shops that “just let you look” though, except Wed2Be. However all 3 shops I visited didn’t put any pressure on me to buy, and it was a 2nd visit to SAS Bridal in Stockport before I found my dream dress. Jo & Hayley who run it are lovely.
    If you just want to get a feel, you may be better at a wedding fayre. There’s normally a big one at Bolton Arena each Spring time.
    Best of luck, hope you find your dream dress xx
  • S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

If there are shops you like, follow them on social media as sometimes they’ll have deals going for free appointments.

• R
    Curious August 2024 Kent
    Rochelle ·
    • Hide content
    I’m not from your area I’m in Thanet, kent but all of our dress shops are free but appointment only with champagne for your party whilst trying on. I understand that it’s their time but that’s just retail so unless they work commission only then it seems unfair. If you have any large shopping outlets near you they normally offer a no appointment no fee option Smiley smile
  • Ebony
    Savvy May 2023 Lincolnshire
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    I didn’t have to pay for an appointment at the shop I bought my dress at, but I did have to supply card details to one of the shops and agree that they could charge me if I was a no-show to my appointment. I know a few dress shops nearby have started introducing appointment fees because they’re repeatedly getting no-shows or cancellations on the day and it’s causing them to lose out on business because they weren’t given enough notice to offer the appointment to someone else.
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

I echo what others have said. I don't know of any bridal shops that will let you come in and just browse. The dresses are delicate and expensive, so they understandably don't want people just coming in and looking through them.

However, I have never been charged for an appointment. You should be able to find plenty of shops that will let you book an appointment without paying.

I booked 2 dress appointments with different shops and didn;t pay to make a booking. I actually found my dress at the first shop, so I cancelled the second.

• E
    Beginner September 2024 Staffordshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I've got 2 appointments booked in next month. One of them is free, the other one I'm paying because I've chosen to have the 'experience' were we all get a drink etc. I could of had an appointment for free without any of the frills but as it's also a birthday girly trip out I decided to upgrade.
  • Kenna
    Beginner March 2023 Lothian & Borders
    Kenna ·
    • Hide content
    I've never heard of a wedding dress shop charging to look at dresses, that sounds very odd. 😳
  • Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    My dress appointments were £15-£20, but in my opinion totally worth it! You get the undivided attention of a staff member and they’re amazing at recommending dresses to suit your body type etc- I went in with a vision and ended up buying something totally different because the assistant knew my body shape! Also, the fee paid came off my total cost Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics