Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jess
Curious October 2025 Durham

Wedding dress shopping dilemma

Jess, 7 of February of 2024 at 15:30 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 6
I’m getting married in October 2025. I wasn’t planning to go dress shopping until later this year but we are currently trying for a baby and I’m a bit concerned about the dress timeline. If I do get pregnant I won’t be able to try anything on until after the baby, when I won’t be at the size I want and I think I’ll have an awful dress shopping experience. Plus if a dress needs made it might not leave enough time to get it done. However is it too early to go dress shopping now? What if I change my mind if I buy now. Any advice welcome

6 replies

Latest activity by Amy, 26 of February of 2024 at 13:51
  • L
    Savvy June 2024 Staffordshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Jess , congratulations , have you booked and set a date yet ? You could go dress shopping to get a feel for what styles you like etc . You could buy too if it’s what you want to do . Or you could delay till nearer the wedding date and buy from off the peg . xx
  • Sammy
    Beginner October 2025 Merseyside
    Sammy ·
    • Hide content

Big congrats firstly!

I am also Oct 2025 and I bought my dress last august. I only went to nose and fell in love with the first dress I tried on and decided to get it. I pick it up next month and plan to keep it in storage and not look at it until closer to the date.

However I am a plus size girly and since recently changing my diet due to health I have being losing weight faster than I thought, I rang the lady i bought the dress from and she has reassured me that she will be able to adjust the dress to my fittings and that i was a good idea to buy my dress so soon as it gives time for altering to be done.

I dunno if this helps at all like but maybe ask wherever you go will they easily be able to make adjustments?

As for changing your mind, I dont think you will if you find the right dress! I went in with one idea of what I thought I wanted and the dress I have is opposite! As cliche as it is you will know the right dress for you when you try it on Smiley heart

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 Online ·
    • Hide content

It might be best to wait until nearer the time and then buy a dress off the peg or by mail order. The reason is that I know a lot of people change their dress style totally after having a baby because their body shape changes so much - a couple of people who bought their dress pre baby had to go out and get another one after as the first one didn't suit any more. Also, on a practical level, if you decide you want to breastfeed, depending on when baby arrives you will likely need to take that into account when picking a style!

• Jess
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I think I’m going to go in the next few months and just try a few one. Get an idea of style and speak with the people in the shop for their opinions.

I really hope I do know it when I see it 🤣
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. That’s what I’m concerned about depending on the style I like. I think I’m going to go in the next few months to try some on and see what type of style I like and depending on that, I think it will determine whether it will make a difference getting it now or waiting
  • A
    Beginner July 2025 Ceredigion
    Amy ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in July 2025. I am currently pregnant and due in July, exactly 1 year before the wedding. I am also worried about dress shopping. I clearly can't go now because I have a huge bump. I did go to a wedding fayre and spoke to a lady with a dress shop and she told me to go no later that September (I'll be less than 2 months postpartum). Speaking from my first pregnancy, I know I wont be back down to pre-pregnancy weight. I put on 4 stone in my first pregnancy and I still have 2 of that remaining, I also got a condition called diastasis recti so my muscles never went back together so I looked 6 months pregnant even a year after having baby number 1. I am terrified that will get worse after the second pregnancy and how terrible I am going to look in the dress, plus it limits what sort of style I can go for.

If I were you, then I'd go shopping for the dress now and then get alterations done after you've had the baby.

Good luck with getting pregnant Smiley smile xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics