Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Curious November 2023 Merseyside

Wedding Dress Shopping - dress sizes

Ashley, 2 of November of 2022 at 16:01 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 9
Hi everyone
Looking for some advice please! I’m starting to look at wedding dresses for my wedding in November 2023 and I’m unsure what to expect around dress sizes. I’m a 14/16 high street size but a lot of the boutiques I’ve enquired with offer size 10 sample dresses. I’m worried that if I book an appointment, it won’t be worth me going as I’ll struggle to get an idea of what things will look like. Am I looking in the wrong places, over thinking things, should I just go and see what’s what? Would really appreciate anyone sharing their experience and any advice as I was really excited but now I’m just worried!!
Thanks xx

9 replies

Latest activity by Murphy, 17 of November of 2022 at 11:49
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The best thing to do is to call a few of the boutiques you are interested in visiting, tell them your size and ask if they have many dresses in that size (or one up/down from there).

When I tried on dresses, I was happy to try something on that was 'just' too small to do up, because I could still get a good idea of how it would look. Same with something that was a bit baggy. But when they got so small that I couldn't even get into them properly or so big that I could have fitted two of me into the same dress, I didn't think there was much point, since when something's that much of a wrong size, it's not really possible to get an idea of what the right size would look like.

• A
    Ashley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the advice - really helpful x
  • Samantha
    Beginner June 2023 Leicestershire
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    Alternatively go to somewhere like Wed2b as they have lots of dresses in all sizes. Then you can get an idea of styles you like, and what you don’t like, before you hit the boutiques! That’s what I did and it made going to boutiques a much less stressful experience. Good luck and try not to worry too much. It’s natural to be nervous but it’s also a once in a lifetime feeling so try to embrace it 😊
  • Amelia
    Beginner October 2023 Buckinghamshire
    Amelia ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I'm currently size 14 and was dreading trying on dresses as thought nothing would fit. The shops are lovely and don't make you feel like a dress doesn't fit. They tend to have dresses in smaller sizes and some in larger sizes. I tried on several larger sizes and some were too big so they tightened them and others they had to put a panel in to make it look better. Try some boutiques but also try other places like wed2b. But honestly it isn't as bad as you may think, they are used to people of all shapes and sizes trying on dresses.

• A
    Ashley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you - this has really helped x
  • A
    Ashley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you - v helpful advice x
  • A
    Ashley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! X
  • Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    The shop I went to had anything from sizes 6-18! Most places seem pretty diverse now, but there’s no harm in calling ahead - especially is there is a particular dress you have your eye on
  • A
    Ashley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you - that’s reassuring! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics