Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charliebob
Beginner May 2016

Wedding dress shopping experience was bad.

Charliebob, 27 of February of 2015 at 07:21 Posted on Planning 0 7

So on weds my MOH took me wedding dress shopping, she had arranged the whole sh-bang, was very sweet of her.

But as soon as I stepped in to the shop I knew I would find nothing, there was bling everywhere!

Don't get me wrong they were beautiful dresses, some by Romantica, but they were all so sparkly and poofy.

Now I like plain, keeping it to the basic. So I looked through the racks, looked and looked and looked.

In the end I gave up and let the lady and my MOH pick them for me, MOH picked one fairly similar to Elsa from Frozen - this was my face ?.

I think I tried only one plain satin A-line gown but then it ruined it by having all these HUGEEEE ass flowers dangling from the side.

So yeah the experience was a hot and sweaty one, who knew dresses were so damn heavy!

6 dresses later I felt so sorry for the shop lady I said I liked one, my MOH nearly in tears at this moment thinking I had found THE ONE.

The lady wrote down the price £875!! and we left. I came clean to my MOH and she seemed a bit disheartened, but I think that is because she got her dress from there and wanted me to do the same.

I explained though that she looked beautiful and found her dress in there, I just had to keep looking.

So.. to ask all you lovely ladies out there..

Where can I find a plain lace long wedding dress with short sleeves under £400 if that's even possible!?

Would happily consider any high street stores, just need ideas. Many thanks.

7 replies

Latest activity by kellytobe81, 27 of February of 2015 at 20:37
  • R
    Beginner September 2015
    RomanticBlueFlowers251 ·
    • Hide content

BHS? They sometimes have very pretty plain ones!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Aww, sorry to hear it wasn't as good as it might have been ☹️

Have a look in other shops. The one I went into has an outlet rail, and I saw some dresses that were a couple of hundred on there. They didn't have anything I liked in my size so we tried the main rails. Asked to buy the sample I tried on and they're selling it to me for half price.

Debenhams, BHS, Monsoon all have wedding sections. Probably plenty of other high street places too that might work if you only want something simple, and would work out a lot cheaper than a bridal shop.

Invite your MoH round for the evening, get a bottle of wine in and scour the internet as I've found the actual shops won't have much in them compared to online

Happy hunting ?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, bless you, shame it wasn't quite the experience your MOH had hoped for! Try monsoon, Debenhams, and particularly bhs, they have some gorgeous dresses at the moment. You'll find it!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Deffo head over to Monsoon - they have some stunners that match what you've outlined. It's such a shame when it's not the experience you're hoping for. TBH the store should have listened more closely to what you said you wanted. We always say to bride here to go with an open mind and be prepared to be surprised with what draws you, but to have nothing like what you wanted isn't great.

Phase Eight do some lovely dresses to as do Coast. They all have bridal sections so well worth checking out.

Bridal outlets can be good but my experience there was awful so if you don't mind a bit of a scrum and not having a "private" shopping session then they are deffo worth exploring.

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

I think it was really sweet of you to indulge her by trying the dresses! id be terrified in a room full'o bling. for £400 you are very likely to find what you want. high street as others suggested, or even try a local seamstress who may be able to knock up exactly what you want.

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

As others have said the high st is great ! I think you will defo get something in your price range. I went to a wedding outlet & found my dress. Not sure where you are in the country but if in North West there's one in Bolton & one in Stockport. Dont let this one experience put you off, you will find something that you are happy with. I too would be horrified by an over-blinged dress !!

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

So sorry you had a pants time shopping Smiley sad ! There are discount places out there - whereabouts are you? I would highly recommend the shop in Liverpool where I got mine, Copplestones Bridal. They sell brand new designer dresses at massively reduced prices, only stipulation is you buy them "off the peg". They also have an in-house seamstress though if you need any alterations.

I've also seen this place advertised quite a bit - https://www.wed2b.com/ looks like they have outlets in the North West, Midlands and London.

Also keep an eye out on eBay and Preloved for people who change their minds or cancel weddings etc

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    kellytobe81 ·
    • Hide content

Been to the wedding dress shop outlet in Bolton and there were loads of options - max price £500

Didnt get mine from there but only as i'd already found the one Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics