Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner

Wedding dress shopping... *sigh*

ExpensiveBlueBridesmaid839, 22 of August of 2017 at 20:23 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi, I am getting married in May 2018 and I am the first one from my friends and family to get married! Its all very exciting but I don't know what I'm doing or have anyone to turn to for advice!

I am really struggling with dress shopping at the moment! I have been to 4 bridal shops (an appointment is booked for Sat at the 5th bridal shop!) and I have tried on 20+ dress and only found 2 that I 'like'. I don't feel confident enough to put a deposit down on either. I am arranging second appointments at the 2 bridal shops which my BMs will come to (I went alone initially) as I really need their help but I can't help but feel guilty about potentially wasting the shop assistants time! I could end up visiting 3 shops on 2 seperate occasions and not purchasing anything from any of them! Did anyone else have a number of appointments at different boutiques before they felt happy with their dress?

7 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBlueCakes716, 31 of August of 2017 at 00:43
  • R
    Beginner September 2018
    RomanticRedHair841 ·
    • Hide content

Hello!! How exciting to be the first out of everyone to be getting married.

In regards to wedding dress shopping, you're totally right to not put money down on a dress you 'like' imo. You should LOVE your dress! Don't feel guilty either about being indecisive and visiting lots of dresses, sometimes duplicating your visits. In my experience bridal boutiques are used to this. I think it's a good idea you are bringing your BMs along, sometimes it's nice to have a second opinion but remember it's YOUR choice and whatever you love. I'm sure you will find 'the one'. I tried on my dress a couple of times before realising it was the one.

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

This is perfectly normal, you have to try on lots of dresses in different colours and silhouettes before you can even consider paying that much for a dress. Some people are lucky and get it right first time, but most aren't.

I went to several bridal shops, sometimes I took a day off work and just went from dress appointment to dress appointment. You usually find that you have favourites from each shop and it's just deciding which you like more. I even went back to a couple of shops just to try my "favourite" on again to try to make up my mind. Then I ended up buying a second hand dress from eBay, but it's lovely, everything I wanted and within my tiny budget.

As you try on dresses, you find that you start to "hone in" on what you're after, for example I found after the first couple of appointments that I wanted a line with lace. Still didn't know which dress I wanted but I knew it had to have those elements, then I started to narrow down other aspects. Just play the game: I like this part, so what other dresses have this. But if you're really stuck, allow the shop assistant to throw you a curve ball and pick something out for you. Even if it's a total write off you can turn around and say, "well at least I know that I don't want a mermaid gown" or something. Or they might surprise you.

Don't feel guilty, shop assistants are there to help you and even if you don't buy from them you still tell everyone how nice they are and they get free advertising so it kind of balances out (or at least I tell myself that so I don't feel guilty) I'm also a May 2018 bride and the first of my "lot" to get married ?

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Yes! I tried in soooo many dresses! I don't think I ever got that "the one" feeling, although I loved my dress and it did come down to two dresses in the end. Don't worry, you have to feel happy and don't rush the decision. Have you an idea of what you like/dislike? Have you looked in mags/online? Does a style seem to suit you better than others or have you got a theme you'd like to fit in with?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I went to 5 shops, I tried a lot of dresses on, none of the assistants were angry I just wanted something very different which most shops didn't have. I even bought an extra dress to alter because I got so fed up! In the end I actually found a very lovely red dress, however I never had that emotional connection that some people talk about, but it's a beautiful togown and I feel great in it.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBlueBridesmaid839 ·
    • Hide content

That's reassuring! I like a slim a-line, lace or tulle, something light as the wedding is abroad. I think I am struggling to find something light yet still very much 'wedding dressy' if that makes sense?!

• FutureMrsO'L
    Beginner April 2018
    FutureMrsO'L ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you tried on any Stella York/Essense of Australia dresses? They have some stunning a-line gowns that are all fairly light (at least I thought so anyway ?)

• E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

I tried on dozens! Im getting married in 8 weeks and to be honest Im still not 100% sure.

I didn't find any I liked in the wedding boutiques! I hated the whole experience. I didn't like the fact they were all gushing about how 'radiant and perfect' I looked! I ddin't - I look ok. In fact i a lot i looked hideous! But then again I'm not your typical bride, I don't like wedding gowns! I almost bought a ralph lauren white suite and some hand made repetto shoes instead, but was worried about my mother's reaction to that! So I've bought that to travel on honeymoon in!

I ended up with a French designer dress that isn't that weddingy other than a little bit of lace and it's ivory. I found it online and you couldn't get it in this country so I shipped it in from Paris without actually seeing it and trying it on!

I bought the size bigger just in case it was too small! It was too big! Hahahaha! So it needs altering! But its ok, not how I visioned I would look, but its nice enough!

I hope you get the Wow feeling! I feel like I've missed out on the tears!

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

I found it very hard to find a dress that was a bit different and unique. The more dresses I looked at, the more they all looked the same, all beautiful dresses but I didn't want to wear just another lace, slimline fishtale dress like 90% of people on Facebook. Do your research on bridal designers and then find the local stockists. And bring people with you, you can't make a decision like this on your own.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics