Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner May 2018

Wedding dress shopping - When to buy??

BlossomKatie1993, 7 of May of 2017 at 20:52 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi All Smiley smile

I'm planning to go wedding dress browsing at the end of June, and my wedding is not until May next year. Everyone is telling me to start looking for dresses now but I've been putting it off, just because I don't want to find my dream dress too early and change my mind in the long run!

Anyhow, I've not got much more planning to do at the moment so I feel like I'm ready for the wedding dress shopping experience! I'm not going to a boutique, I'm going to Wed2Be so the dresses here are off-the-peg, which means if I find my dream dress, I can take it home that day. All I want to do is browse and get a feel of things, see what styles suit me etc and have a lovely time trying on pretty dresses, but I'm scared i'm going to find the one and have to buy it (sounds silly but I have a tendency to change my mind and if I have to bring the dress home with me, then I will be tempted to keep looking at it and check that I still love it!)

So, what does everyone think? how long before the wedding did you buy your off-the-peg dresses and was it too early? did you regret it or was you glad you bought the dress when you did? (I know you have to shop months in advance for dresses in bridal boutiques as they need to order the dress in, but I was just wondering about off-the-peg wedding dress shopping)

Thanks X

7 replies

Latest activity by JulyBridetobeMrsS, 21 of May of 2017 at 14:50
  • 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I went 'just to look, not try on' just over a year before our wedding which is this Saturday... only went to the one shop, ended up trying five or six dresses and falling in love and paying in full for a 'sale' dress which was an ex-sample. Then had to pay the shop to store it for a year!!

Good points: The stress of the dress was over, I didn't have to find time to go to several shops and I did, and still do absolutely love my dress.

Bad points: I have 'dress wobbled' several times- luckily for me just popping in and trying it on again resolved that! I have also regretted the amount of money I spent- I know now that I could have got a similar dress for a LOT less money.

I also felt I missed out on the whole excitement and build up to going dress shopping as I literally spotted a sale sign outside and went in there and then with no prep and no appointment.

Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question but hopefully gives you some things to consider!

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Some dresses can take 6 to 9 months to order so I would definitely be looking now. However, I also went to a wedding dress sale in a local bridal store and fell in love with an ex sample so came away with it there an then, a whole 2 years before my wedding. Thank god mum could store it in her spare room!

Good luck x

• B
    Beginner May 2018
    BlossomKatie1993 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, sounds positive! X

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I ended up buying two, three first I bought because I had lost note of ever finding anything actually nice within my budget so I bought out of anger, then found a much better shop which didn't laugh at my request and bought a lovely dress, I don't get married till next April and it's in my mum's spare room.

• Elderberry Brides
    Elderberry Brides ·
    • Hide content

Have a peep at our blog article which we hope will help you and others.

Good luck in your search.

When should I order my wedding dress?

A bride’s guide to timing the purchase of her bridal gown

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is mid-June, & I started visiting shops at the end of June last year. As it was, I ended up buying my dress which was the sample I tried on at the beginning of July & I took it home, & it's been hanging in my sister's wardrobe ever since. I still love it!

• R
    Beginner August 2017
    rose_tree86 ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from wed2b last may and we get married in August. So quite a way in advance! I had a few wobbles about it a few months ago so got it back off my sister so I could have a look and try it on. That massively helped and put a end to any uncertainties I had. I still love it so I don't think it's a bad thing buying in advance and having it at home xx

• J
    Beginner July 2017
    JulyBridetobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from Wed2be. Went shopping in February to try different styles with no intention of buying and walked away with a dress. I get married towards the end of July. It's in my spare room and I've put it on twice since and still love it - but it's nice to know it fits still and helps me with pre wedding prep.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics