Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Savvy July 2018

Wedding dress shopping - when to start?

FutureMrsT123, 21 of April of 2017 at 09:35 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all!

Pretty new here as I just got engaged 10 days ago! so excited and getting started on everything! I was just wondering when you should start shopping for your wedding dress. I know they can take a while to get ready but don't know the full time scale. We're hoping to get married summer 2018 (seeing venues next week!) and I was thinking of starting shopping end of May/early June, This is also partly cos my mum is a teacher and can only do the half term or summer holidays to come and visit and go shopping with me, but is this too early? Should I leave it till the summer?

Any tips on when you lovely ladies started would be appreciated, or what you think the best time to start is.

thanks,

C x

6 replies

Latest activity by MetalBride, 22 of April of 2017 at 09:51
  • MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

12 months is plenty of time unless you want something unusual such as colour, why don't you take a look on some websites like pintrest to get some ideas of things you might like for now?

• L
    Beginner April 2018
    LuxuriousIvoryDecor794 ·
    • Hide content

What do you think of a red wedding dress? Thank you

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

You can start dress shopping whenever you want to it is never too early!

The bridal shops I went to said that most dresses will take 9 months to be made, I'm getting married a year today and started dress shopping in March last year, I originally chose a dress in the second shop I went to which was in the April and they were going to do my measurements and order the dress in the October but then in July I was having dress wobbles as I couldn't try on the dress I had originally tried on again as it was no longer in the shop so I went to their other shop and found another dress that I fell in love with so I had my measurements taken and ordered the dress then, they just put the order through in January and the dress will come in in October so that will give me 6 months to get any alterations done.

I'd say go and try them as soon as you would like because it will give you time to look and find your dress without worrying about it being made in time.

• F
    Savvy July 2018
    FutureMrsT123 ·
    • Hide content

Ah thank you, that's all so helpful! I think I'm battling with my excitement and resisting the temptation to do it too early! It's good to know too how long roughly these things take. Also I'll admit Pinterest is a dream for all this stuff! Xx

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations and welcome!!

My dress took 7 months to come in (ordered November, arrived June) so take that into account.

Alterations will also take a couple of months usually, so I would say 12 months is fine Smiley smile I would not recommend shopping before you have booked your venue though, as you'll need to make sure your dress is appropriate. A ball gown on a beach, for example, is not the most practical. Likewise, a see through body-con mermaid would look out of place in a grand castle.

I started looking 18 months out from my Wedding.

xx

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pinterest has been amazing help for me and all the ideas for the wedding!

If I was you i'd go in with an open mind when trying dresses on, as the dress I have gone for is completely the opposite of what I thought I would go for, so I would say try as many different styles as you can so that you can get a feel for what you like!

You'll have so much fun trying them all Smiley smile

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Lol the only reason I said to look at ideas first is because I've ended up with three! Lol, oops!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics