Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner February 2016

Wedding Dress stress!

RomanticIvoryDiamonds239, 20 of November of 2015 at 18:57 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi everyone

I picked up my wedding dress today, which I had ordered back in May, from a bridal store in Leeds. It is the Ronald Joyce Regina 68005 which is available in 3 lengths. I was shocked to find that despite me being only 5 foot 1, they have ordered me the longest length and it is very very long! Luckily alterations are included in the price but I am worried that taking so much off the bottom of the dress will ruin it. It must be made in 3 lengths for a reason!

Has anyone else had to have their dress substantially shortened and everything gone ok? I was obviously expecting a few alterations, and I know seamstresses can do amazing things with dresses, but I am very annoyed with the bridal shop. I wouldn't go into Next and buy the extra long trousers and get them turned up, rather than buy the petite ones!

Thanks for any advice

6 replies

Latest activity by Little_MrsA2B, 22 of November of 2015 at 10:32
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm 5'3" and my dress needs quite a bit off. They don't see it as a problem. Did you ask why they ordered the longest length?

• R
    Beginner February 2016
    RomanticIvoryDiamonds239 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, hopefully mine won't be a problem too.

No, was all a bit chaotic. I turned up this afternoon with my wedding shoes etc thinking I would be trying the dress on to make sure it was ok. Turns out the shop are moving locations in the next couple of weeks and were bagging up dresses etc. She just quickly showed me the dress still in its cover, told me to take it home as she didnt want to move it to the new store, and gave me the number of a seamstress as theirs has just left after 12 years! Wasn't until I got home that we realised how ridiculously long it was, I sent them an email as shop shut for the day, and will be phoning them first thing in the morning.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I would definately ring and ask them for an explanation. I'm sure it will be ok but would ask.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, they've not treated you very well at all! I think they've mucked up but an experienced seamstress should be able to fix it without sacrificing the details.

I'd try and get a hold of the seamstress asap and see how much work is involved as you might need a little extra time for the work to be completed. Try not to worry too much, there are plenty of people who need their wedding dress taken up.

• R
    Beginner February 2016
    RomanticIvoryDiamonds239 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I spoke to the bridal shop this morning. Apparently they always order the same size as the sample you try on, and are only concerned about someone height if they are too tall. I was told not to panic and the seamstress is going to see me sooner, so feeling a bit happier now!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds strange it comes in 3 lengths as mine came stabdard. They didn't even check my height but my dress is ridiculously long. I would speak to the seamstress although I would be peeved the shop gave you your dress so they didn't have to transport it!

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm 5'1 too and my dress is also too long. I think it isn't too much of a problem for a seamstress to take up. Plenty of my short friends have had the same issue. My dress also comes 3 inches shorter but tbh, I still think it would need taking up! Just make sure your seamstress has enough time to do the alterations.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics