Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner March 2014

Wedding dress too long - normal?

sarahdarby, 18 of November of 2013 at 10:22 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all

I had my first viewing/ fitting of my wedding dress yesterday after being measured in March.

Unfortunately, it was an inch or so too long and i now face a further £150ish charge to get it altered. The hem is very delicate scalloped lace, so it's not a simple job.

I know it is better to be too long than too short, but can you tell if this is normal practice? The dress shop advised that they do this all of the time in case of any fluctuations in the size of the bride - but surely people's heights don't change?!

I'm not sure whether to pursue a complaint with the shop or whether i'm over-reacting. Please can someone advise?

thanks

Sarah

6 replies

Latest activity by ashleysbridal, 18 of November of 2013 at 22:46
  • L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

Did you order a tailor made/made to order gown? If so then I would expect it to be the correct length. If you ordered standard sizing (which they will also have measured you for to make sure they order the right size) then yes this is completely normal. I was told the standard length from my designer was made to fit someone around 5'10".

• Akrigg
    Beginner
    Akrigg ·
    • Hide content

Heights don't change but if you gain weight or lose weight the dress will become shorter or longer.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

Wedding dresses come in standard lengths! Unless your dress was tailored made for you I don't believe you have grounds for a complaint against the store!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I thought dresses just came in standard sizes and were then altered to fit? Mine was petite length but needed a bit of altering.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I thought dresses just came in standard length sizes and were then altered to fit? Mine was petite length but needed a but of altering.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I'll be paying £160 for alterations as the dress I tried on was too long. They don't order them in for your particular length (well they didn't in my case) so i'm fully expecting to need it taken up and hopefully taken in a couple of inches too.

Unless you had it tailor made for your height you're over reacting and have no reason to complain to the shop Smiley smile

• A
    ashleysbridal ·
    • Hide content

It really depends on the designer. Some designers will allow you too order a short, regular or long length dress at no additional charge. Others will only have a standard length.

You would need to ask the boutique whether your particular dress could have been ordered in a specific length. Did they take a measurement from your waist to the floor?

Hope this helps

Jane

Ashley's Bridal Boutique, Faversham

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics