Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious August 2015

Wedding dress too tight

SoontobeMrsJ, 26 of December of 2014 at 13:48 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi

This is the first time I've started a post on here. I'm freaking out and not sure what to do.

My dress came into the shop 2 weeks ago so I tried it on. I knew I'd put on a bit of weight since I'd bought the dress 6 months ago, but the dress didn't fit. It was too tight around the hip/thigh area so bunched up a bit. The dress was also a small bit too short but the shop assistant said that it would drop when it fitted me better. I know realistically I'll lose the extra bit of weight (it's not too much) as I've got 6 months before the wedding but I'm worried about whether I made the right decision about the dress, if it's too short, if it's the right style for my body shape and a small part is worried I won't lose the weight. I was never sure if I had "the feeling" in the dress, (I think I've watched too much say yes to the dress) I just knew I didn't want to try on anymore dresses after finding this one, and I was so nervous before trying it on this time because of being a bit bigger. But I've been worrying about it for 2 weeks now. I guess I need some reassurance I will lose a few pounds and I did make the right choice

6 replies

Latest activity by halloweeny, 27 of December of 2014 at 12:42
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, don't stress yourself out sweetie. It sounds like you did find the right dress, you just need to watch what you eat for the next 6 months (don't go crazy, I lost half a stone just being sensible and not eating cakes and sweets etc!) and you'll feel happier and more comfortable. Let yourself have a nice Christmas period first though!

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Coming from a bride who 2 weeks before the wedding had to change from a zip dress to a lace up as I had never quite got round to loosing those extra few lbs I plonked on I would say a dress maker is magic and can do wonderful things but if u think u can loose the weight do it now not then I've never felt so devastated as the feeling of my dress not being right. So without wanting to sound mean and nasty Christmas is over with now start early u won't need to b so drastic X

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry it's no disaster!

Looks like you have a couple of options - you could discuss with a seamstress and see if they can alter the dress so that it fits you well as you are now. Or, you can focus on losing weight before the wedding so that it fits better. Only you will know which is realistic and you will feel happiest with! I imagine your anxiety about the dress is due to it not fitting as well as you hoped, try not to second guess yourself! I'm sure you picked it for very good reason Smiley smile

• jennybob
    Beginner April 2015
    jennybob ·
    • Hide content

Originally my wedding was booked for may 2011. I ordered the dress thinking i loved it in 2010 and then unfortunatly the wedding had to be called off and we booked it again a couple of months ago for april next year. I was really nervous about trying on the dress because i hadn't tried it on since i had ordered it a couple of years before. When i tried it on i had the same problem as you. I need to lose roughly half a stone for it to fit me without them moving the back panel which i am determined to do. Wedding is now in 4 months and over christmas i have actually gained more weight whoops! I am not too worried at this point because everyone loses weight for their wedding and if your mind is set on that likemine will bein the new year im sure we will be fine. I still love my dress but i cant help feeling if i went looking now for a dress i wouldn't pick that one. Its a difficult decision. For me, i figured its a gorgeous dress and i cannot wait to marry my other half so im not particualy worried but if its really bothering you and you think you want to keep looking, if you have time then i say have another little look. Try not to worry about the weight or the dress tho because im sure everything will be fine and you will look beautiful xx

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi hun, I wouldn't worry about it as you've got 6 months to fit back into your dress! I found out my dress didn't fit me 4 weeks before & it had to be taken out an inch either side! You have more time on your side, enjoy Christmas first & then focus on the weight loss, I'm sure you'll fit back into your beautiful dress before your big day x

• S
    Curious August 2015
    SoontobeMrsJ ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou for your kind replies.

I'm hoping the upset I felt when I tried it on will spur me into the gym and eating better. I've been busy for a few months so not been going. And I definitely don't want to feel this way closer to the time so you're right, Christmas is over and so it's get into action time now.

The shop assistant said to go back 4-6 weeks before the wedding for a fitting which is still over 4 months away so I'll just aim to tone up and lose a few pounds for then. And if needs be I'll talk to them about taking the dress out a bit.

I think you're right, I did choose the right dress, but was just too focused on the 1 negative area this time. And yes jennybob I need to remember I will be marrying a great guy and it is a gorgeous dress.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry love! A dressmaker can do wonders and letting it down won't be an issue of it's too short. Take it easy loosing weight and maybe try one of those spanks thingies with it. You've got plenty of time. Nothing to worry about!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics