Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

septemberbride2011
Beginner August 2011

Wedding dress travel boxes

septemberbride2011, 9 February, 2011 at 19:04 Posted on Planning 0 8

I'm getting married abroad in 6 months time and I'm looking to get a wedding dress travel box so I can take on the plane as hand luggage, basically if my dress gets lost in the hold I'm screwed! The only problem is that Thomas Cook's hand luggage restriction is 43 x 28 x 23 and can't find the right size box, I'm worried that if I buy the standard size they won't let me take it on the plane!

Does anyone know anywhere that makes the boxes so that I can take it on the plane? x

8 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsRon, 10 February, 2011 at 13:09
  • S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

When we went to mexico in 2008 with our friends who got married there, they were allowed to take the dress in the dress bag and they hung it up/looked after it for them. they were with thomas cook

may be worth checking with thomas cook

i know she didnt have to pay any extra for it and the dress was well looked after

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

Ive just checked the thomas cook website- it says https://www.thomascook.com/brands/thomas-cook-airlines/airline-faqs/baggage-restrictions/

Can I take my Wedding dress on board the flight?

No, this must be packed as hold luggage.

I have booked a wedding with Thomas Cook how much luggage allowance do I get for my wedding attire?

Thomas Cook offer one 20kgs free of charge (bag must contain wedding attire only)

im 100% sure that my friend had hers not in the hold- you need to go and see your travel agents and see if they can do this (things may have changed since 2008)

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

Loads of threads about thomas cook and their recent tight restictions- al i can suggest at the mo is popping in and checking with them

• hp169
    Beginner February 2011
    hp169 ·
    • Hide content

Blimey tc hand luggage sizes are tight! try this.....

https://www.emptybox.co.uk/products_travelCook.asp

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for the link it's perfect. My only worry is will it fit in the box! I'm having it altered on the weekend so I'm hoping it will fold down smaller, might even take a bit off the train. I could have a trial run and see how small I can fold this but I'd have so many creases the other end. I'd rather risk creases than putting it in the hold! xx

• Jokaty82
    Beginner May 2012
    Jokaty82 ·
    • Hide content

I am having a box for my dress for my wedding abroad, although I am flying Thomsons.

Its amazing how small these dresses can fold. You should ask your bridal shop to pack it for you before you go. They will have had to do it before. You will also be amazed at how small the the packages are the dresses arrive in!

Once you are at your destination hang it up, near the bathroom and the heat should drop the creases. TC are known for their small hand luggage, and awkward sizes also. xx

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

My sis had her dress packed into a hand luggage size suitcase by her dress shop. They did a brilliant job, hardly any creases in it. You'd be surprised how much dress you can fit in on of those cases. Get your shop to do a dummy run maybe

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

I bought my box from a seller on ebay, they made them to the exact dimensions required by the travel company (which for me was easyjet) which was a relief, you could always do a search on there and perhaps contact a couple of sellers?

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

See if this is any help, I saved it in case I needed to get myself a box

https://www.skyscanner.net/?p=2115

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics