Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2017

Wedding dress worries - big bust

SunnyBrownFlowers532, 1 of April of 2016 at 15:11 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hello - newbie to Hitched, I have been engaged 2 weeks today!

I know this is a premature query as I haven't begun to think about what kind of wedding dress I want but I already can feel the tantrum coming as soon as I try my first dress on.

I have a bra size of 32HH and am a size 12, hoping to be size 10 by the wedding. As you can imagine I am pretty top-heavy for my size and I have trouble finding dresses which fit on top and bottom, they all tend to be made of a stretch material.

Has anyone had the same issue/experience as me and can calm my anxiousness about the dress? I just can't see what I can wear that will be stylish and fitting and slimming Smiley sad help!!

21 replies

Latest activity by Posh Frocks, 15 of April of 2016 at 12:56
  • R
    Dedicated July 2017
    RomanticBrownFlowers354 ·
    • Hide content

Hey!

I am not as blessed as you on top so can't give my experience, but try not to worry at this stage. Yes, you are likely to encounter issues when trying on the shop samples as I believe they are based on a C cup or something. So you will need to use you imagination. But dont worry about the dress you choose fitting in the end, as they will make sure it is ordered in an appropriate size (if its not a made to measure designer) and then alter it to fit you perfectly.

Re. style, you may want to keep an open mind with regards to what looks best on you. Try not to look at too many websites/magazines and decide on a style before you have chosen. Most brides don't go with the style they initially thought and you may need to be a little more open in view of choosing something to flatter your shape most.

I hope that helps - and HUGE congratulations on the engagement by the way.

• T
    Beginner April 2017
    TashAndOwl ·
    • Hide content

Hello and congrats!!

Get a feel for the bridal shops in your area before making an appointment. Give them a call and explain your worries and see how keen they sound to help find you your dress. They should all absolutely know what they're on about and what to look for for you, but you might just want to make sure you're going to be dealing with someone who 'gets it' and will make you feel as comfortable as possible and not freak out about your shape (which sounds fabulous by the way!).

• E
    Beginner March 2017
    elliek92 ·
    • Hide content

Hello and congrats on your engagement! The excitement is just beginning for you Smiley smile I'm a 32GG and was worrying about the exact same thing. When you go into a bridal shop you'll be able to try on all different styles and they'll recommend what they believe will suit your shape. I'm a typical hourglass and also a size 10/12 and have bought a sweetheat neck strapless A line dress. It clinches at the waist so is really slimming and covers my hips (which are in proportion with my chest!) It doesn't make me look overly busty which is also what I was concerned about!

Honestly, I found lots of dresses that were extremely flattering so please don't worry. Wedding dresses are most often altered to fit you like a glove - this is a time to have fun so enjoy!

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

My friend has a large bust, and had a beautiful silk gown by Suzanne Neville.

Wedding gowns are fit to your body, and bridal seamstresses are like magicians. You will look absolutely gorgeous on your wedding day.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I am a 32F and found the style that looked most flattering was the mermaid/fit and flare. A dramatic flair on the bottom really balanced out my top half and made me look proportioned. I did try a ball gown and I looked very short waisted, and style that has the very gradual/slight flare (trumpet??) made me look top heavy. You don't have to worry about fit because they will just order the dress to fit your largest part and then take everything else in. I'm probably a similar dress size to you and I found I fit into most of the sample dresses. There were a few that didn't close in the back due to my bust but it wasn't awkward at all. The consultant I had just very quickly did what she needed to do to cover any exposed skin and didn't make any comments. Some were even too large, but they just use clips to hold you in and show you what the dress will look like once it fits. The dresses you try on are not meant to fit perfectly and I was never even told what size they were so don't worry about that.

I ended up getting my dress from Allure. I felt very secure in it even without a bra, and I learned after the fact that their dresses are built with an inner corset structure (even the ones that zip) to hold everything in place. The material felt much thicker than a lot of the others I tried. So if you're worried about support or having to find a bra that works with the dress, they might be a good brand to try.

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and congratulations.

Please don't worry. I am the same size as you and have worried about my bust the whole of my adult life but there is a dress out there for you and a good bridal shop will help.

For me I knew I didn't want strapless dress because of my bust so I went for a corset backed A line sleeveless dress and guess what, for the first time ever I won't be wearing a bra as it has built in bra straps and the corset holds everything in place.

I promise you'll be fine so relax and have a great time dress shopping. There's more choice than you think.

Shelly x

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

Hello and congratulations!

I'm totally with you there! My boobs are about the same size (I'm a G!) but I'm also a size 16 and trying to slim down so I'm hoping to lose a bit off the bust. However my sister (and bridesmaid) is a size 6 with a 30F bust so we have to find two dresses that work!

I echo what's been said above - the seamstress will make the dress fit where it's supposed to. You might need to order a giant dress to fit round your bust but they will take it in at the bottom and make it look beautiful.

Have you thought about just getting one made from scratch? My best made did that and I think it cost around £1600. I don't know your dress budget but factoring in buying a dress and having the alterations having it made might be the best option for me. That way I'm 100% certain it fits everywhere and I know I love it. Just something else to consider Smiley smile

• Champagne & Promises
    Champagne & Promises ·
    • Hide content

Hi SunnyBrownFlowers532

Firstly please don't worry, dress shopping is the most fun.

I have a similar size to you, im a size 12 with a 34GG bust, my main bit of advice is stay away from the sweet heart neckline, this will enhance and draw attention to your bust, which if your anything like me you want to play down your assets on that special day.

I went for an A line dress, with detailing across the top half and went down to my right hip and I loved it as soon as I put it on. It was the exact opposite of what I thought I wanted.

Your seamstress will be able to help, I didn't wear a bra as the corset kept everything in place and the boutique owner was great, dress sizes are always bigger than your clothes size so don't panic about it.

Love every bit of it.

• Pinkpeterpan
    Beginner August 2016
    Pinkpeterpan ·
    • Hide content

I have a fuller bust too and knew I would have to stay well away from anything strapless.

i ended up going for a belle & bunty skirt and top, the skirt is smaller than the top to accommodate my boobs!

• G
    Beginner March 2016
    gemmaandchris ·
    • Hide content

I had the exact same experience, and also ended up getting a sweetheart necked strapless a-line dress Smiley smile

I was so worried beforehand, but it was great trying the dresses on, corset backs help so much!

• M
    Beginner September 2016
    MulticolouredBride ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately I've not got the same problem... big bust yes but a few sizes bigger than a 12...

I personally find the straight across neckine much more flattering that a sweetheart but each to their own..

I'm also worried about the fact that they've had to order a large size to fit my bust and I'm panicking it won't pull me in enough at the waist etc.. mines a zip back and for this reason I'd recommend a Corset back.. they expand much more so will fit your bust but pull in at the waste..

I loved all the Corset back dresses I tried on much more because of this... It just happened that the dress I fell in love with had a bloody zipper :-(

Good luck!! xx

• S
    Beginner June 2017
    SunnyBrownFlowers532 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and helpful comments! I feel a lot better about attending my first fitting now... just to lose a few pounds first!

• ilexaquifolium
    Beginner April 2016
    ilexaquifolium ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement!

You're my body double!! I'm a 32HH, size 10 on the bottom, size 12 on top

Hopefully you'll be luckier than me - I've lost just over a stone (about 18lbs in total) since getting engaged, and although everyone tells me how noticeable it is (I was a size 12 on the bottom before, so it has made a bit of a difference), my bra size remains the same. I think I've just exaggerated my out-of-proportion-ness!

Anyway, I can tell you from first hand experience that you will be fine and you will find something you like which is flattering, and maybe even make your boobs look smaller. I'll be honest with you though, if you are as much of a simliar shape to me as it sounds, there will be some dresses that make you look a bit slutty - things will look too low cut, or will emphasise your shape too much. On other occasions I would have felt amazing wearing some of the dresses, but especially as I'm getting married in a church some of those got ruled out very quickly.

To get rid of some concerns - all the dresses I tried on fit, most were a 12 or 14, although some of the zip up ones were a bit tricky to get done up near the top! The ladies in the shop will have seen all shapes and sizes before, so they will be very understanding of your worries. And as everyone has said, whatever you choose can be adjusted to fit perfectly, so even if things are a bit loose on the waist, it will look perfect in the end.

One thing I decided early on was that I preferred lace up dresses. I felt more supported in the right areas by them, and felt that they were more slimming as well (plus I just prefer the look at the back, but that's just a personal preference). Another early decision was that it must have straps/cap sleeves, I found they helped to disguise my boobs, and also gave me reassurance that the dress won't slip down.

In the end, my lady in Berketex took note of everything I liked in various dresses and came back to me with one that matched in every way apart from that it was strapless. She then found some straps similar to some on another dress I'd liked, pinned them on, and that was it! The people in the shop do make a difference to your experience, so go to a few difference places and it's the assistance you get as much as the dresses themselves that will help you make the decision.

Some shops told me 'you won't need a bra if the dress fits properly', but I don't think I could ever feel comfortable like that, even with structure inside the dress. So I'm having boning put in to attach the dress to my bra, and bra carriers (I think that's what they're called?) for the straps to go through to hold everything in place.

A good strapless bra if you need one: Panache Evie Bridal. They do a basque too, but actually it didn't feel as supportive as just the bra itself.

And finally - I've got my final dress fitting today (unless I've dramatically changed shape in the last couple of weeks!), so I'm right at the other end of the spectrum to you, but it's good when you get here!

• ilexaquifolium
    Beginner April 2016
    ilexaquifolium ·
    • Hide content

Wow... that turned out longer than I expected. I guess I'm just excited about my fitting this afternoon ?

• S
    Beginner June 2017
    SunnyBrownFlowers532 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh you do sound like my body double!

Thank you so much for all your info that has made me feel so much better. I'm also unsure about wearing a dress without a bra but will see how comfortable I feel when I finally find the right one.

So exciting for you have your final fitting today! Send me a pic if you can/feel comfortable doing so - whenever I try and google wedding dresses + curvy, it's not exactly my kind of shape that comes up so would love to see how someone with a similar shape to mine looks Smiley smile and congratulations on the wedding!

• ilexaquifolium
    Beginner April 2016
    ilexaquifolium ·
    • Hide content

I didn't get a picture, but it's this dress just with straps: http://www.berketexbride.com/products/rnp3236/aria

It needs a few finishing touches but now it's been taken in a bit so it fits properly it feels much more supportive. I'm going back to pick it up in a couple of weeks so I'll take a photo then.

• S
    Beginner June 2017
    SunnyBrownFlowers532 ·
    • Hide content

Wow that's gorgeous! Bet you can't wait now!

• ilexaquifolium
    Beginner April 2016
    ilexaquifolium ·
    • Hide content

Didn't mean to offend with that comment - it's just an honest opinion of how I felt. Some dresses made me more self conscious and that was why.

Your idea if having something that matches the material of the dress to cover up with if need in church sounds great.

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm sure you can get dresses altered to help fit you. Plus if you feel self-conscious about cleavage, you can get straps and things added on. I had the benita jacket by maggie sottero over my dress and no-one even knew it was a separate part (sounds awful, a jacket, but google it!) There are lots of options Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner April 2018
    SunnyPinkConfetti538 ·
    • Hide content

Today was my first day of trying on Wedding Dresses, I'm the same very busty!

I thought my best solution would be to go for a dress with straps or short sleeves and steer clear of a strapless style, I tried many dresses on with sleeves and felt extremely restricted and found that it drew more attention to my bust area.

It was suggested that I try on a strapless dress, to my amazement it looked the best out of them all vey flattering, I didn't feel self-concious like I thought I would.

Just try and try until you find your dress.

Good luck xxxx

• P
    Posh Frocks ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sunny,

Not sure where you are based but I do custom made to measure and it does not matter what size you are it will fit your bust. I am based in Guiseley. If you are getting married next year and have your venue booked we are running a competition to win your dress.

I created a dress for bride last you who had a 42 HH bust and a 29 waist, it fit perfectly and needed a slight tweak.

Our prices are really reasonable to affordable luxury without the price tags

As the dress will be made to your body it will not matter style of dress you would like to wear it will look good.

Hope this helps

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics