Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner July 2025 Ceredigion

Wedding dresses

Amy, 19 of February of 2024 at 16:43 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 4

Hello,

After having my baby I ended up with a condition called diastasis recti (tummy muscles never went back together) so I have always looked pregnant. I am now pregnant again so extremely worried that it will get even worse. I get married a year after the baby will be born.

My question is - do wedding dresses hold you in or do I need to find a style that will hide my pregnant looking tummy?!

4 replies

Latest activity by Amy, 20 of February of 2024 at 19:37
  • Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

Hi Amy

Congratulations on your engagement and on becoming pregnant again.

I have not experienced a pregnancy to full-term but I do have a medical condition that means I look pregnant (to the point where small children have poked my tummy and said "Baby!" with glee much to the embarrassment of their parents at times).

There are lots of styles of wedding dress and a good bridalwear shop will have non-judgmental staff who are experienced in helping people look their absolute best. I've got a corseted dress which is doing a great job at holding me in, but there were also A-line silhouette dresses that disguised my tummy too (and to be honest were more comfy!)

What helped me was to go along, be really honest about my worries and try on lots of styles. I was totally surprised with what I ended up choosing as it was never a style I thought I'd look good in.

• A
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much, you've made me feel a lot better about the whole situation. I appreciate your advice and will definitely be honest about my concerns when I go and try on dresses. Thank you x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with @Laurie - a corset style will 'hold you in' but A-lines are also very flattering on most figures. I had a very large tummy (joys of early menopause as everything sagged and bulged!!!) and couldn't believe how slim I looked in my a-line dress.

If you are nervous, you could try ringing a couple of bridal boutiques first and explaining your concerns. They should be able to deal with your concerns sensitively, and any who don't...well, you know you don't want to visit that shop!

• A
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. I feel more hopeful that I will find a flattering dress x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics