Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2012

Wedding etiquette for witness's clothes for Civil Ceremony

Soozie11, 2 October, 2011 at 22:43 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello Lovely ladies

I am just wondering what the wedding etiquette is for paying for the witness's clothes with a civil ceremony. If I was having a wedding with bridesmaids then I would be expected to pay for the bridesmaids dresses but what is your thoughts on the Witness's outfit? Should we offer to pay for them?

Thanks

Soozie

6 replies

Latest activity by Soozie11, 3 October, 2011 at 21:21
  • A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

At my first wedding my witnesses were my chief bridesmaid and the best man, who were obviously already dressed for the occasion at our expense.
    If you are having one of your guests as a witness then I would say no, you shouldn't be expected to pay for their outfits, they wouldn't need to wear anything different than they would wear as a guest.

Our wedding will be a civil ceremony and our witnesses will probably be our mothers, but we won't be paying for their outfits.

HTH

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I have never heard of anyone paying for their witnesses outfits, unless as was said earlier they are a bridesmaid, ,

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

We had a civil ceremony for our 2nd wedding and it wouldn't have crossed my mind to offer. They wore what they wanted for the wedding as any other guest

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

It would'nt cross my mind to offer we too are having a civil ceremony but my moh and the best man are our witnesses they are already dressed in outfits we have provided x

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We paid for suits for our witnesses, BUT only because they were our brothers and had no other role and we wanted them to feel special and included. Their suits matched our dads and the groom & best man.

Had we gone down a different route and had other people as witnesses, we probably wouldn't have paid for their clothes.

We generally went by the rule "if we decide, we pay; if they decide, they pay" i.e. if we chose something like dresses then we would pay for them but if we gave people free choice over what to wear, then they could pay for it.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Yup, unless you are dictating what they should where i don't think there is any need at all.

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    Soozie11 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks eveyone for your great feedback again. You never let me down Smiley smile

I hadn't considered paying until someone (not the witnesses) asked the question and I immediately said no. But later I started to think that maybe it was expected. So thank you for the clarification.

Soozie

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics