Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner October 2015

Wedding Favours

BridgetJonesNoLonger, 20 of August of 2014 at 03:58 Posted on Planning 0 11

Is it essential to have favours? My hesitation is that it's easy to spend a load of money and end up with a cheap looking favour. I don't really want to spend more than £1 per favour. We have 78 people at our wedding breakfast. Will anyone care if we don't have them? I found some little organza bags that are very reasonable and thought of putting 'just married' pieces of rock into them. The trouble with buying online though is that you don't know how they look until they arrive. Shall we spend up to £100 of our budget on something that will look cheap or put the money to better use?

Any ideas?

11 replies

Latest activity by Helenosaurus, 20 of August of 2014 at 14:28
  • Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

I was dead set against favours as at most weddings I have been too they get left behind. My cousin really wanted to do something towards the wedding so is making a cupcake for each guest which we are going to put in a box with each persons name and so they double up as placecards. If you want them and can afford them then go for it, but if you think the money can be better spent somewhere else then I don't think your guests will care if you don't have them.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Not essential at all. They can be a nice touch, but they're often just forgotten about, or food, which your guests will have enough of anyway! I was looking at favours until my mum asked why on earth would you bother, your guests don't need a cheap present, you're giving them a lovely day with food and a party and they'll have photos to remember the day, they don't need anything else. Haha, so that decided it!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I do think its essential. Its your way of saying thankyou to your guests. If you can afford them i would definetly do them!

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

I dont see the point in favours, youve invited them to share your special day, have provided food and normally a couple of drinks, why do you then need to 'thank' them for coming?

We are having a 3 course sit down meal, buffet later on with possibly a hog roast, sweet buffet, popcorn stand and lots of cake. i really dont see anyone complaining that they didnt get a favour, like other people have said they normally get left behind

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I really don't think they are essential. We have been to a lot of weddings and its not something l think about as a guest. If you think your money could be better spent elsewhere them go for it. Wedding guests rarely have it hard with 3 course meals, sweetie buffets, chocolate fountains, wedding cake etc!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Nah they are not essential, it is a lot of money to spend on little things that may get left behind or chucked in the bin, not everyone is sentimental!!

If you think the money is better spent elsewhere, then do that. As a guest, if I didn't get a favour, I probably wouldn't notice! Lot's of people say favours exist to say 'thank you', personally I would rather a card afterwards or the spoken word itself!! Before planning my own wedding, as a guest I didn't realise these things meant thank you, I just thought they were there for the sheer hell of it!!

If you decide to go for a favours - how about a £1 scratchcard? You never know, someone might win a big prize Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner November 2015
    MissJag ·
    • Hide content

I agree its a complete waste of money - they usually get left behind or thrown out. I find stuff from weddings in bottoms of handbags months or even years after the event and end up just chucking them.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not essential. The only favours I see the point in are ones that are edible, for charity, or maybe scratchcard type ones. Others might be nice keepsakes for some but I suspect more often than not get left behind or binned.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Not essential. I didn't want them, but we were looking for ways to incorporate those who aren't with us any more and so decided to do favours along those lines, so we have some little gifts (pens, notepads, keyrings etc) from Cancer Research and Animals In Need in memory of OH's Mum & brother and our past rats. Otherwise I wouldn't have had them.

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

I don't think they are essential either to be fair. I went to my best friends wedding in April, she didn't have any, and I have to say I didn't notice at the time! Rather than doing favours I will do a sweet table and people can help themselves Smiley smile I'm hoping it will be cheaper and nicer anyway!

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I don't see them as essential at all. I'm still going between wanting them or not, so I'm not sure what I'll end up doing yet. I think it will be something closer to the time we'll see whether or not we have the budget for them.

• H
    Beginner April 2015
    Helenosaurus ·
    • Hide content

Last night the other half was saying he didn't understand the point of favours and wasn't sure if he wanted them, as it seemed an unnecessary cost. I agree that sometimes they may get forgotten about or be unwanted, so AI was trying to think of something cute and a bit different and maybe personalised that I could hopefully make myself for a not too big cost!

At my sister's wedding she had llittle tubes of Love Hearts with personalised labels and those little paper fortune teller things ('cootie catchers' as AI have heard them be called) but to be honest, her tables were generally quite busy so these got a bit lost amongst everything anyway (and even now I don't know if the paper things were intended to be favours or just decorations/something to do at the table). A friend had Kinder Eggs which went down very well actually; and one wedding I went to had a sweets table to make your own favours to take home but everyone forgot, haha. So that is one way to combine a sweetie table and favours!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics