Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daisy Bell
Beginner August 2015

Wedding favours for female guests only?

Daisy Bell, 18 of May of 2015 at 09:43 Posted on Planning 0 21

I was originally planning on doing favours for all guests, now just got a text from FMIL saying only female guests get wedding favours.

Is this what's traditionally done? Is it still done or do most couples provide them for all guests?

What are you doing? Just the ladies or everyone?

21 replies

Latest activity by MrsFitt2B, 19 of May of 2015 at 16:07
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of wedding favours being just for female guests, we provided them for everyone

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Personally never seen that.

only seen for all or none at all.

i'm frequently wrong though so unlikely any help! lol

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I'm giving them to everyone - I've never heard of it being female guests only but it may be some old tradition I've never heard of! x

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Never heard of that one! My mum just said why would you do that, never seen those! So I'm not sure there are any proper traditions surrounding it! I'd think it was horribly sexist/old fashioned if only the girls got them tbh

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Alright, thanks! Do you think we could provide the same favours to everyone or do men need a more appropriate favour? We were planning on doing personalised love hearts.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Everyone at ours got heart shaped Scottish tablet - I'd just give em all the same personally. When I hear stuff like men getting whisky or cigars and women getting crap like measuring spoons or whatever it makes me angry, so I think not giving men heart shaped stuff would be just as bad. Plus it's faff you don't need.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Ours all got heart shaped chocolates.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of that before. We gave everyone the same thing.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Ok, thanks, I prefer the idea of having the same for all guests as well, especially as we are getting them personalised - so everyone will get the same. I am not British so just wanted to make sure that it was no faux-pas for the men to get love hearts Smiley winking

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

I think the Love Hearts will be a hit with everyone - everyone loves sweets! We're probably not going to have favours (although I might change my mind later if the budget allows) but personalised Love Hearts will definitely be top of my list if we do. At my cousin's wedding the men got whisky miniatures and the women got heart-shaped soap...but I may have hoovered up a few abandoned whisky miniatures at the end of the night anyway!

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I remember being at my cousins wedding about 30 years ago and only women got favours. But at the church all the men got button holes so everybody got something. I know that was the done thing then (in Scotland) but I think these days your either give them to everyone or no one. We're giving them to everyone!

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I agree with ID, doing different favours for men and women is horribly sexist. I went to a wedding last year where the men got a whisky miniature and the women got a honey pot with wooden twiddly spoon thing. My honey pot went to the charity shop, I would've much preferred the whisky!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

My grandmother wanted us to give an additional favour to the women only. She wanted my niece to go around and give all the ladies a chocolate. I refused because I won't give to one and not another. That may have been tradition in the past but I won't be doing it.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Miniature whiskey bottles is what my FMIL suggested for the men, but it seems a bit presumptuous that women will prefer candy and men will prefer alcohol. Glad you all seem to think the same.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I'd rather have the whisky!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Haha well everyone is getting love hearts and that's that. If thhey don't want them I'll have them Smiley winking

• M
    Beginner February 2016
    MrsF2B! ·
    • Hide content

Daisy bell - were having personaised love hearts for all our guests! And they're mich cheaper on eBay!

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

I haven't heard of that either.

We are giving all our adult guests a mini bottle and putting a drink in it most likey JD or something like that any way.

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

Debrett's etiquette guide says that traditionally five sugared almonds were given to women only. And I do recall going to weddings as a child and only the women getting sugared almonds so I can understand the older generation thinking this is the norm.

It's horribly outdated though and I agree that everyone should get the same. At our wedding everyone had Scottish tablet and it was all gone, no leftovers!

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    lpcr ·
    • Hide content

Friend of mine recently got married and venue wanted to charge £4 corkage per miniature !! Use that as an excuse with fmil I love the sweet hearts we are having choc love spoons same for everyone!

Your feeding everyone so I think the favours should just be a little token

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I remember from childhood weddings. It was always five sugared almonds and it was always only for the ladies. Having said that, it is very old fashioned and these days couples tend to give something a bit different to all of their guests.

We're not having wedding favours as they tend to get left behing, but we are having a sweet table instead.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics