Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M

Wedding Flowers - Go Local

michf, 5 December, 2012 at 15:22 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi everyone,

My cousin has recently got married in Gloucestershire. We spent ages shopping around to get a good price for various things, in particular her wedding flowers. We started our search by going to the well known high street shops as I guess you feel a sense of trust towards them. We were stunned by how expensive they were and as money was tight we began to search for smaller companies and florists that work from home. I will admit it did take time to hunt down the local non-high street businesses as they haven't got lots of money for advertising, but it definately paid off in the end. Hilary from English Rose in Cirencester was a pleasure and the service she offered was so personal (http://www.englishroseflowers.co.uk) and even better she was alot more affordable than the more well known florists in the local area! I would recommend that you spend time in hunting these people out!

3 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 6 December, 2012 at 06:57
  • *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

How kind of you to recommend your cousin's florist on your second post.

Dont happen to be said florist, do you?

• M
    michf ·
    • Hide content

Ummm no Hilary Jenkins is the florist in question. I wasn't her last time I checked!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Hmm and yet your first post was you kindly recommending a venue...

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is because a high street shop has overheads way over and above the overheads that you have when you work from home. This is why many high street florists are leaving the high street or going under because of soaring rent, rates, councils that do nothing to invest in town centres to draw the public in, energy bills, phone bills, ...... need I go on? It's not just florists who struggle on the high street, it's greengrocers, bakeries, greeting card shops, stationers, and the list goes on. I used to have my own high street shop many years ago but also had a landlord who, rather than negotiate the renewal of a lease that was in keeping with the foot flow of the town centre, he was quite happy to increase the rent to the point where I could no longer justify being on the high street so I made the move onto the internet. My shop stood empty for 4 years before another tenant took over. They stayed 6 months before they disappeared. This is the problem - greedy landlords and councils who would rather see properties empty than offer affordable rent and rates.

Regarding your comment "it did take time to hunt down the local non-hgh street businesses as they don't have a lot of money for advertising" - not true! We spend just as much on internet advertising as most high street florists if not more and we are very easy to find on Google as are all the other businesses who work from home such as builders, joiners, plumbers etc! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics