Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner March 2016

Wedding freak out - Best Man might have to pull out (10 weeks to go)

PurpleRain88, 23 of January of 2016 at 12:21 Posted on Planning 0 6

H2B's best man has just called us to say he's supposed to be going to America for training (he's in the RAF) 3 days before our wedding so he might not be able to make it. I'm freaking out because we've already bought things and planned around him, and he has jobs to do for the wedding. Anyone we ask now would know they were second choice, and I'm worried because it's not in the budget to get a suit for another person. H2B is being calm about it, apparently Best Man is gonna try and talk to his superiors and get permission to fly out a few days late, but I know he's upset that his best friend might not be at his wedding. And I feel selfish because he's not thinking about money at all and I'm basically having a mini meltdown over it...

6 replies

Latest activity by Paula @ Ollievision, 24 of January of 2016 at 19:10
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Was the RAF chap going to be in his uniform, or were you hiring a suit for him, are you hireing suits for any other men in the party or are they having their own suits

If you are having ushers could you "upgrade" an usher to a best man and then no need for an extra suit

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

We had this. The best man said he was coming paid the deposit then a few months before the balance was due I got an email from the holiday company saying he had emailed saying he couldn't afford it! I was livid I found out through them especially as he ignored my oh befire hand and has barely spoken to him since. He almost left us with a cancellation bill as his booking was tied into a group one! There isn't a great deal you can do about him flying out and I'm sure he feels gutted but unfortunatly that is a risk you take with the military. Has he got an usher or anyone that can step in for the best man if he can't come? I would ask him to write his speech and have it read out in his absence by an usher too. He may have jobs to do but I'm sure dads/brothers etc will help out where needed. My hubby brother stepped in as best man and yes he was second choice but he felt really honoured on the day and in hindsight I wish we had asked him from the start

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

As suggested do you have any ushers you can upgrade? We had an usher had to pull out a few days before (was sent offshore for work) and he was gutted about it so I think your OH best man will be feeling the same. If he can't change it then I'm sure you can divide the tasks up between friends when it comes to weddings people are often willing to help out more then you can imagine!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HappyBrownDiamonds179 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, my brother had this happen to him - but with way shorter notice. His Best Man was supposed to fly in from the US, but he is from South America. He got to the airport and didn't realise he needed a visa - so got denied entry onto his flight! So we got a call from the airport 3 days before the wedding with a very upset Best Man unable to make it! My brother upgraded his other groomsman and as they were hiring suits, they just remeasured for the new groomsman. It was hectic, but it all came out nicely. We then had the best man Skype call into the reception to make his speech as a surprise for my brother. It was a very emotional moment, and lovely that he could still 'be there' Perhaps this might work?

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

This is a tough situation to be in, but there is several weeks in between and it may all change. Yes it is upsetting but it's not like he is dropping out for his own reasons, and he has at least kept you informed and will do. I do hope that it all works out, and if any of his ushers know the best man is in the RAF and has had to be called away 1 week before the wedding, they'll appreciate being asked. In those situations sometimes understanding that you are the back up isn't bad it's better than there being no best man.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I wonder if he could do his speech on video? Your photographer would probably be able to organise that for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics