Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2016

Wedding Gift/Money

S and S Wedding , 9 of December of 2015 at 18:28 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi All

I am looking for any thoughts or ideas on gift list. We are hoping to have an extension in the next 18 months so could write a list of things for our new bedroom. Downside to this is we will have to store it for a while and we have limited space.

Alternatively, we are going to Rome for our Honeymoon and there are some trips that we would like to do so could ask for money towards these. Someone has said that there is a way to set up an online 'payment' so that we could list the trips and the price and guests could click onto what trip they want to pay towards and the amount then would be deducted. Has anyone heard of this or know how to go about it?

Hope things are coming on well for you all.

Thank you for help and ideas!

Sophie

9 replies

Latest activity by ExpensivePinkCars201, 10 of December of 2015 at 15:57
  • YellowDiamond
    Beginner July 2016
    YellowDiamond ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

We are doing the honeymoon one where people buy trips etc and it's through honeyfund.com my friend used it and it was great - the money goes directly to your nominated bank account rather than risky holding accounts so the website never actually sees the money. You can tailor it as much as you like!

totally free and really easy to set up :-) xxx

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    S and S Wedding ·
    • Hide content

Yellow Diamond

Thank you so much, just had a quick look and it looks like just what we need.

Sophie

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds great! How much do they keep of what they pay you? I know that my cousin set up something similar but it cost him a percentage!

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

Hunyfund doesn't take a percentage. All monies are paid directly to the bride and groom no holding account etc. gifters can choose to pay via PayPal or cash/cheque they print a voucher to give you on your day. I've looked in to doing this lol looks like they make their money by charging a fee if you want anything personalised so the standard site you can have for free but anything you pay around £30 I think.

• YellowDiamond
    Beginner July 2016
    YellowDiamond ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely - totally free unless you want an all singing dancing personalised website, and I think they make some money through advertising.

Glad to have helped :-) I'm terrible with technology and even I've managed to set one up! X

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

You might also want to consider setting up a small registry for people that would prefer to buy things (older relatives?). Although for the most part I have everything I "need" a lot of the things I have are pretty basic because I bought them when I was younger, or I had to buy cheaper things than I would have liked because I had to furnish a flat all at once. Now that I'm married I definitely want nicer pots and pans, appliances, towels, bedding, that will last. (Grown up things for a grown up life Smiley tongue) I also plan on putting items on my registry that aren't necessities but are nice to have, like formal serving dishes for guests. Just don't be like my cousin who put a £20 toilet brush on her John Lewis gift list! There was definitely some eye rolling about that!

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    S and S Wedding ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your help.
    I do not know about these registry's. Can I set up one list that includes trips for honeymoon as well as a few additional items from John Lewis? (Not a toilet brush though!)

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

My asian friend tell me thats in their culture.. they usually give the money for bride and groom

with red envelope and put in on the big box

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, you can have multiple lists. If you have a website that is a great place to list where you've registered, or you can include a line on your invitation if that is appropriate in your social circle "We are registered at John Lewis and HoneyFund". Your guests will then be able to search the store website by your name and find your list. It seems like registries are a bigger thing in America. Many people register at multiple stores. I will be having one list for our UK guests with appliances or things that are a bit heavier, and one for our US guests with things that are easier to ship or carry in luggage. I think guests can also purchase gift cards for you as well. I think most people want to get you something you will really want, so a registry is a way to help with that and make sure you don't end up with five toasters!

John Lewis is the one I've heard mentioned the most in the UK, but you may also want to look into the Amazon Universal Registry. I think you install a browser add on, similar to the Pinterest button, and you can add any item from any online store to one list on Amazon.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

We have two lists, one is with John Lewis and the other is with www.marriagegiftlist.com where you can add items from any website.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics