Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Beginner May 2025 North Yorkshire

Wedding Guest List Problems!

Brittany, 27 of August of 2024 at 15:19 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 3
I’m going through a really difficult time with my Mum, Dad and sister (MOH), because I considered inviting my Aunty to my wedding who they don’t like, I told them I would consider their feelings and not invite her if it meant that they would be uncomfortable, but now they are saying that even the fact I considered her is wrong and disrespectful to them. I didn’t attend my cousins birthday because they made me feel awful about it, my eldest sister stuck up for me and now and called them bullies they aren’t speaking to her now. They’re saying that it is all my fault the argument and the fact they don’t speak with my eldest sister because I confided in her and I considered my aunty. The problem is, if it wasn’t for them acting this way I would genuinely have my aunty and her family there. I just want it to be a really happy celebration of mine and my partners love. We have only ever considered everyone’s feelings and this is the first time that we are considering ours. I just feel numb. To add to everything I am 6 months pregnant expecting my first child and they can’t just be there for me, put their issues aside for one day and let me make my own decisions and be happy. What advise would you give? I have been so anxious, stressed and I’ve had to seek therapy because of this. I feel like I can’t connect with my pregnancy because my mental health is so bad with it all. Also my partner lost his dad and grandma last year so it has already been such an upsetting time for us and I feel like my mum and sister are just putting their own feelings first and not even considering mine.

3 replies

Latest activity by Jelly, 13 of September of 2024 at 06:14
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you are having therapy, it might be worth exploring these issues with your therapist, as they can help you work through your feelings and how any decisions you make will impact on that.

I know a lot of people would say to just cut yourself off from difficult family members, but it's not that easy for everyone. So you need to weigh up the peace of mind you'll feel from not having to deal with the drama against the sadness you will feel at not having contact with your immediate family.

If it all gets too much for you, you do have the option of cancelling your wedding completely and just eloping. Yes, you will lose some money on non-refundable deposits, but you'll still save overall by not having the wedding at all, plus you won't feel resentful or stressed by your family's behaviour leading up to and on the actual day. Against this, you have to weigh any disappointment you will feel at not having the wedding you wanted, plus the resentment you might feel at your family for causing the cancellation.

Alternatively, consider going ahead with the wedding but not including your mother and sister - but this is a major step, so you really do need to think through the long-term impact and how it is going to make you feel.

Just make sure that any decisions you make are based on how your family is, not how you wish it was!

What with your family's behaviour and the bereavements in your fiancé's family, you are both dealing with a lot - and that's before considering the impact of your pregnancy - preparing for a child is a huge life change, plus you are also dealing with all those pregnancy hormones buzzing around and playing havoc with your emotions. Be gentle with yourself. Take things one step at a time. Ask for help when you need it, whether that's from your GP, therapist or anyone else.

• M
    Beginner November 2024 Kent
    Monica345 ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

It's understandable that you're feeling overwhelmed and stressed. Your family's behavior is causing significant emotional turmoil, especially during such a special time in your life. Prioritize your mental health and set clear boundaries with your family. Open communication and understanding are key to resolving conflicts. Consider focusing on your relationship with your partner and exploring options like a smaller wedding if the family drama is too much. Seek support from friends, family, or a support group to cope with the emotional challenges. Remember, your happiness and well-being should be your top priority.

• J
    West London
    Jelly ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like a really tough situation maybe just focus on what will make you and your partner happiest for your big day, even if it means some difficult decisions with your family.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics