Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner February 2014

Wedding hates and dislikes

Wifeytobe88, 4 of September of 2013 at 16:51 Posted on Planning 0 312

Sorry if this has been done before - I'm sure it has - but I haven't seen a similar topic since I've been a member, so I thought I would get a light hearted discussion going!

What things do you REALLY dislike at weddings, and what do you just not like very much?

personally I really don't like it when the bride and groom does a 'funny' first dance. I'm sure some people like it and find it funny, but I just find it super cringe and naff.

This might be a bit controversial, but I also really don't like vintage / birdcage themes anymore. They were lovely when they first started, but after seeing them at every other wedding, I think they've just gotten a bit meh. Again though I'm fully open to other people's tastes and if the bride or groom loves this look, then I still believe they should have what they want without caring what others think.

312 replies

Latest activity by tayto, 18 of November of 2013 at 12:40
  • S
    Beginner May 2014
    staranise ·
    • Hide content

I'm with you on the birdcages, when I first saw them I thought they were pretty but I think it just seems unoriginal now because so many have had them. I also feel this way about chair covers (sorry I realise I'm probably offending everyone here), it just makes them look too samey and everybodys doing so I don't want to. I'd have to say though that for me the worst thing about weddings is the expense, the expectation and pressure put on us (by others and ourselves) to do something flashier than the last.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

There was a thread like this 6 months ago and MY GOD did it blew up!

the thing about planning a wedding is the overload of 'trends' from the internet, so i agree somethings that seems cool at first loses it appeal after the 20th wedding blog showing the same stuff.

• L
    Beginner July 2014
    Loz85 ·
    • Hide content

Agree with on the first dance! I am not looking forward to that at all! Unfortunately we will not get away without doing it as we both come from large families who will expect it.

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Oh no not again!!

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

Haha sorry! I've only been engaged four months so I didn't see that one...you don't have to respond!!!

• woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

Chair covers, sweet buffets, cupcakes instead of wedding cake, 2 hours of photos, Photobooths

No offence intended, I'm positive people will hate aspects of my wedding!

• *Mrs M to be*
    Beginner August 2014
    *Mrs M to be* ·
    • Hide content

Oh noooo! I'm going to have to scrap my chair covers!! Haha. I would have loved to have hired in these lovely chairs I saw at one of my friends weddings a few months ago but I think it was going to be much more expensive than covers so I went with them. Definitely need something to cover the dark chairs at my venue! I actually agree with you though, they're a bit done to death now. I also agree with the birdcage/ vintage thing. Although I do love the vintage look, again, it's been really popular in recent years so not that exciting anymore.

The thing is though... Like my fiancé said when we started planning, you can try and be wacky and original and do different things but at the end of the day it's pretty much all been done before. Our wedding is going to be quite traditional and with the normal format you'd expect I suppose which I know a lot of people would think is reeeeally boring! :o) I hope our friends and family will think it's beautiful but if they don't, oh well. It's all about personal taste at the end of the day. We probably all look at weddings on here sometimes and maybe not particularly like certain aspects of it (I'm sure some people will think the same of mine!) but when you see a really happy, smiley, newly married couple you can't help but love it :o)

But... Sorry, I also absolutely hate those wacky first dances! I must just be a bore :o)

• SevenYears
    Beginner August 2016
    SevenYears ·
    • Hide content

*whispers* buffets as the main meal of the day - I can't stand the idea of having to queue for food in fancy outfits (be it guest or wedding party). I do not like seeing one table finish before another has collected theirs. Then there is the issue of how much to take, one doesn't like to appear greedy! The main reason we aren't having a buffet is the fact that with me, my father, brother in law and the best man on the top table, then there would be no food left haha!

However, I LOVE an evening buffet - perfect chance to pick at things and soak up the alcohol/dance and munch! Give me a slice of pizza or a sausage roll to munch on with a glass of rose and i am a happy girl!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Themed weddings, chair covers, balloons, matchy matchy bridesmaids, OTT colour themes (where EVERYTHING is one colour).

Oh and *controversial alert* I'm not a big fan of lace wedding dresses.

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

I sort of hate chair covers too, purely because they're such a waste of money - feels like setting fire to £180! We are having them though in the reception room, because the chairs are not the best.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Looong unfunny speeches that include giving out gifts, especially ones that give gifts to their best friends nan's next door neighbour's dog.

Satin wedding shoes

I'm sure there are loads more!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I started one of these a few months back- it led to me being labeled as sad, pathetic and having a naff wedding by some beautiful blushing bride to be's. it was great fun.

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/p/374490/3297062.aspx

Will be interested to see how well this turns out...i think it's a cracking idea for a thread myself op.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I love a wedding dislikes thread! We're all adults (or at least I think we are!).

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

My list includes:

carpets in the ceremony/reception room

moss bros generic wedding suits with swirly waistcoats.

ivory wedding shoes

owls/doves/butterflies releases

kids at weddings

Not enough wine on the tables

buffets as the wedding breakfast.

Matchy matchy weddings

rolls Royce wedding cars

bridezillas

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! And I'm pretty certain that every single person will have at least one aspect of their wedding on a dislike list!

I don't really like very plain white dresses.

But that's about it, I've never really been to a wedding (apart from my own!) so I've not really been able to get bored of something.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Dislike balloons, winter weddings, naff carpet

Hate eating a huge meal at a funny time like 4pm!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

The only thing I can think of that I don't like is loooong speeches and the gift giving that often follows.

I've not been to that many weddings but I've always enjoyed what others have had. They may not be what I would choose but haven't disliked any of it.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh some of my stuff is up here already Smiley winking

OK, not fond of 'vintage' you know birdcages, suitcases etc etc. nothing wrong with them I just wanna see something else on pinterest now. A pet peeve, dramatic wedding photo shoots, the ones where the couple look like a cover to a romantic novel.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i think we can all agree on the naff carpets.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*** ?

I currently dislike Grooms.

• woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't even know this was a thing! As a guest this sounds terrible!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Wedding Dresses. I hate them.

Mini - you would have loved the wedding I went to at the weekend, free wine till Midnight. I was rather poorly the next day.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

So many dislikes!!

Top of my list is definitely swirly waistcoats!!

Open top cars or horse and carriages

Masses of piled up hair on the bride

Chair covers with naff bows

Bad DJ's

In your face togs

Being sat down for the wedding breakfast but waiting an hour for food.

Any kind of bird at a ceremony.

Novelty entertainment - charicaturists, magicians

BALLOONS!!!!!

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Soontobe_mrsG ·
    • Hide content

This is hard to answer, because there are lots of things i do like, but don't want for our wedding.

There are also things i feel are a bit twee, but its in the context of us, i'm sure they work for the people that want them...

We started planning a low key wedding, and its evolved into me being Bridezilla, and obsessing over every detail, and loving every step. - but we're having things that are already listed here...and i don't mind at all Smiley smile

I don't want a themed wedding, that only mean something to the bride and groom, I don't want a buffet for the main meal, I don't want a child free wedding, i want my family and friends of all ages with us , I don't want the imagery to overtake the intimacy! I dont want flip flops. I dont want a summer wedding (i get hot, am allergic to insect bites and get hay fever, not a good bridal look!) I dont want takeaway food

but all of the above things do work for other people, and i love that we can all have what we want to have, because we're grown ups!!

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

Yes THANK YOU Kharv!!! If people get offended by others having different tastes to them...get a life!

Ooh ooh another one for me - owls, doves or any other type of bird delivering the rings. In fact any kind of animal at weddings! Even though I love animals.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

- plain dresses. WHY WHY WHY?????

- loads of waiting around and not enough canapes or no canapes

- wedding speeches with no emotion. I'm drunk by this stage. I want to tear up otherwise I can only conclude that your family is devoid of all human emotion.

- tiaras that are really high/looks like crowns

- the wedding dress which has a band of colour at the top, usually red

- sh*t food

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Actually just remembered one of my dislikes - jars being used decoratively - I just don't like them. Sorry!

And non-religious people getting married in church - REALLY bugs me!

I've just been looking at the older thread and lots of people hate quite a few of the things I have but thankfully I don't care. Everyone has different tastes - and I'm thankful for that or all weddings would be the same!

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I HATE speeches after speeches after speeches at weddings where everyone stands up and says something..

balloons is for birthday parties- not weddings

those dresses that has colour running all the way down the back on to the train

feathers for centrepieces

there are some more but had brain fart ?

• *Mrs M to be*
    Beginner August 2014
    *Mrs M to be* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh Gawd! Don't! Fiancé says he thinks it'll be nice for best man to read out a few at our wedding. I'd never ever seen this done before until we were at a friends wedding last month. It wasn't a big deal as they only read out about 3/4 (didn't drag on or anything) but I thought it was a strange thing to do.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!!!

i don't particularly like chair covers but I don't dislike them either....I'm having them because I dislike the chairs the venue provides!

I dislike noisy, poorly behaved children!

i dislike long speeches.

I can't stand satin or taffeta wedding dresses..... Definitely don't like huge princess style dresses!

I don't like alternative bouquets such as brooch, button, paper...

Don't like confetti.... Seriously what's the point???

Bouncy castles and children's games/entertain... Yep I don't like it!

The formal meet and greet line up... Drives me crazy!

Last one... I dislike formal top tables!

Pretty sure there are many more things I dislike but beginning to sound like the Scrooge of weddings past!

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Another one on the chair cover hate - they're just so samey! (Also as a wheelchair user, much more difficult to grab and throw out of the way ? )

People who don't go to Church getting married in a Church - the last we were at was chosen because 'it was pretty' and you could HEAR the vicar gritting his teeth through the ceremony!

dancing - I use a wheelchair, I don't dance, I love dancing but I don't try to join in because I'd end up knocking someone - but I want something to do other than drink and be bored!

I'm going to my first as a bride to be weekend after next - n.b. must try hard not to be judgemental!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I remember the original thread - it was very near to when I first joined. So here's my list:

Birdcages, bad food (venues need to up their game), bouquet throws (I find them awkward), buttonholes (though my OH is dead set on having these), swirly waistcoats (my OH also loves these?!?!), balloons, awkward lulls where people don't know what's happening next/where they're meant to go, awkward first dances where the couple aren't comfortable (we will fit in that category) and the fact that it's ridiculously difficult to find pretty low-heeled wedding shoes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics