Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

missmandymoo
Dedicated August 2014

Wedding Insurance - reckon I need public liability cover?

missmandymoo, 12 August, 2012 at 17:42 Posted on Planning 1 6

I'm looking into wedding insurance and there's a few companies that I'm considering - John Lewis, Debenhams and Events Insurance. I've pretty much looked at most suppliers and have shortlisted those 3.

Now - what can help me decide between the 3, is public liability cover. My venue is happy for me to select any insurance company and they've not said anything about having to have public liability cover but they have recommended Events Insurance who does have a huge £5m public liability cover. I'm not actually sure whether I need to think about public liability... the venue is a GradeII Listed barn so I'd hate to have a huge bill to foot if something gets damaged but what is the chance of that?! And wouldn't the venue be covered themselves for things like that?

Anyway the shortlisted insurance companies are (my budgeted wedding cost is £11k):

• Events Insurance - £66 inc £5m public liability cover & the venue recommends them
  • John Lewis - £58. They say that they inc £2.5m public liability cover but when I read the policy document, it sounds more like personal liability but I don't know enough to judge this... what do you guys think?

What is covered
    We will pay you up to the amount shown in your Schedule for any claim or series of claims arising from any one event or one source or original cause in respect of your legal liability as a result of accidental injury to third parties or accidental loss of or damage to third party property directly related to the wedding or wedding reception.

What is not covered
    This Section does not provide cover in respect of liabilities arising from the actions of anyone other than the bride and groom or prospective civil partners, except insofar as the bride and groom or prospective civil partners would be held liable for them at law, and does not include any additional liability accepted under a hiring or booking contract.
  • Debenhams - £59 plus £15 cashback via Quidco. My preferred choice but for public liability cover, it will cost an extra £19.

So my question is whether you think I need to concern myself with public liability cover - the venue should be covered themselves and surely my guests won't sue me if they injure themselves? Also do you think John Lewis covers injuries to my guests or damage to the venues' property? I feel that the what's not cover contradicts the what's covered bit but I am confused by it all.

6 replies

Latest activity by missmandymoo, 14 August, 2012 at 12:52
  • Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

I went with Ecclesiastical Wedding Insurance as they cover all of the above and also cover any liabilities caused by your guests (e.g. if they damage an expensive piece of furniture in your wedding venue). Also, you can tailor the policy to your needs (we are not having wedding cars so we removed that and lowered the cost) and it goes into great detail about what is and isn't covered. Even though the venue should be covered for public liability, I went for a policy which included it just to be on the safe side - an extreme example of needing it would be if the hairdresser got injured at your house, whilst doing your hair and if you are liable - you are covered. Don't go below £5m for public liability because £5m is usually what is awarded to people who have sustained very serious injuries (horrible thought but there you go).

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy Debenhams wedding insurance - my friend at work used to sell it and she said it was not worth the paper it was written on as they have got lots of sneaky loop holes and they will do anything not to pay up. I'm an event manager myself so I'm used to reading through contracts and legal stuff etc. and I read through their policy and wasn't very impressed with it as it is rather vague in parts.

With regards to the question around what is and isn't covered in the John Lewis policy, I would read through the policy wording carefully and call their helpline if you need clarification. My policy covers a lot more stuff than both of these policies. It cost £98 but I think it is worth every penny for the peace of mind. Also, the items I booked before I took out the policy are all covered which I don't think is offered on these two policies.

Out of the three policies you summed, the Events one definitely sounds the best.

Hope this helps x x x

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear, I bought Debenhams, because it was the only one I could find that would insure us since we're not UK residents! Hopefully we won't have to claim on it!

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Oooh I'm really sorry if I have worried anyone who has purchased it. I'm just passing on advice from my friend.

Just make sure you know what is covered x x x x x

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to be getting ready at the venue and I know it's only an example and a very good one too but I'm still struggling to see a reason for public liability cover. With the venue being a converted barn, there isn't any expensive rugs, paintings, furnitures out on display. Sure they supply tables and chairs and outdoor seatings but that's probably all.

Thanks for the advice so far, it's been really helpful and I'll call John Lewis up and ask a few more questions and look into Events a bit more.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

if you wanna use these guys, get in quick as they're stopping new policies at the end of this month

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    squidgybob ·
    • Hide content

Public Liability cover wont just cover any damage to the property that you are in, it will also cover any fees/costs associated with any medical care if someone has an accident within your venue. So if someone injures themself on an aspect of the proeprty (ie a floor tile that is not flat etc), your PL insurance will cover any costs for this.

Some venues will provide this cover within your hire agreement, others will request that anyone hiring their venue will provide their own PL cover, so best to check. For the sake of a few pounds, I would go with the one that provides £5m cover just to be on the safe side.

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help! I've now crossed all 3 suppliers I was considering off the list and have decided to go with Ecclesiastical afterall.

I phoned John Lewis up about their public liability insurance and after speaking to them, it still sounds like personal liability as it doesn't cover third party properties or anyone apart from the bride and groom plus the guy kept back tracking on it. I really think anyone consider John Lewis should know that the public liability isn't quite public liability... very misleading!

Although Event offers more for my money than Ecclesiastical, I feel that there was still some loopholes in their policy wording. With Ecclesiastical - I felt quite reassured reading the policy wording so I guess I should pay that extra few pounds and go with my heart.

So thank you to you all especially Chickster, you've all been great help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics