Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2013

Wedding Insurance > Who did you go with?

Last_Aly, 21 August, 2012 at 14:30 Posted on Planning 0 22

It's just dawned on me that we've not got any wedding insurance. I don't even know where to start!!

Ive done a quick search and found a few threads on the subject, but really I'm looking for recommendations Smiley smile We've already paid deposits on our venues and photographer (totalling £900) so the insurance would need to cover those. Can you get insurance that covers money you've already paid?? Smiley sad

Argh, help!!

22 replies

Latest activity by missmandymoo, 23 August, 2012 at 19:36
  • jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I got mine with John Lewis, I didn't think it mattered if you had already paid out some money as I had paid my venue deposit before I booked mine.

• smazzy_smoo
    Beginner June 2014
    smazzy_smoo ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for John Lewis ?

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Limpy loo ·
    • Hide content

I went with Ecclesiastical. I spoke to someone to check that deposits paid before getting insurance were covered and they were as long as you can prove that they were for your stated wedding day. I also liked the fact you can mix and match levels of cover for different things (e.g. we aren't having a cake or formal stationary so didn't need any cover there) rather than having to choose from set packages. Hopefully I won't have to claim but feel a lot happier knowing its there 'just in case'

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for Ecclesiastical. I considered Events, John Lewis and Debenhams but in the end decided that Ecclesiastical offered everything I need, really easy to understand policy wordings and very highly recommended on this and other forums. If you want to go with Ecclesiastical, you'll need to be quick as they're going to stop taking on new wedding insurance customers after 31st.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I didn't bother Smiley smile

• Princess.Cazz
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess.Cazz ·
    • Hide content

My partner dealt with ours.. we are with Debenhams

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Ecclesiastical for me also

• missharwood
    Beginner May 2016
    missharwood ·
    • Hide content

We aren't getting wedding insurance. I got all worried when I heard about it and was a bit sceptical, but the more my OH said it was a bad idea the more I wanted it!!

So we asked our financial advisor his opinion on it and he said its a waste...not even 10% of them pay out! And they get round it very easily...if you still get married on the day they won't pay you for anything (if presents get damaged, the venue has holes in and rain pours in...) if you get married they won't pay a penny...so he said don't bother.

He DID say however, if its only going to cost £60..then why not...but its not NECESSARY.

:-D

Hope that helps.

Just think...dont get stressed about it, just like everything for your wedding planning

xx

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Last_Aly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh how come? That worries me. Are they stopping the whole wedding insurance thing??

I have thought "is it necessary" but my biggest fear is that one of the venues (we are at two venues) goes bust and leaves us high and dry. Everything else we are doing pretty cheaply, so not as worried about covering those.

I guess I'll have to read all the small prints before choosing. Will deffo look at JL and Ecclesiastical though. Thank you Smiley smile

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They say it's so that they can concentrate on other core areas of the business but will honor any policies taken out before 31st August. I was a bit dubious about the whole thing at first but did a lot of research and decided that I do trust them. Although there is a lot of companies that refuse to pay out, I will point out that Ecclesiastical did and were the only insurance company that paid out during the volcanic ash incident and also when the gift company Wrapit went bust.

Is public liability cover important to you? The only reason I asked is because I was considering John Lewis too but felt that they were trying to sell their personal liability cover as public liability and when I phoned them up, they were hesitant about it and basically told me one thing then contradicted themselves. I'm no insurance expert and perhaps the guy I spoke to was new but my head told me to just go with Ecclesiastical. Here's my thread about it: https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/330932.aspx

Also whoever you go with, make sure you read the policy document in full before committing.

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Last_Aly ·
    • Hide content

What's the difference between public/personal liability? I'm sure the name gives it away but I realy do no understand all these insurancey terms! In all honesty, all I really want is reassurance that if a venue went bust then we wouldn't lose all our money. After all, you can't get married without a venue!! Not too worried about insuring things like my dress (I have an evening dress which I could wear if it came to it, god forbid!) or the rings or anything as they are replaceable at a later date. I just don't trust things/people that are out of my control. Haha

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I think we went with E&L in the end as they were the cheapest- seemed to cover most things but I have to confess I didn't read the policies in that much detail as was just doing it for a bit of peace of mind really! I know that when I was looking though most of the companies did not seem to cover deposits that had been paid already.... x

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This might help: http://www.voyagertravelinsurance.co.uk/about/news/2011/02/01/what-does-wedding-insurance-personal-public-liability-sections-cover/

• Mrs*S
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs*S ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went with E&L as well, it seemed to do everything that Confetti, Debenhams, etc offered but at about a third of the price.

We weren't sure whether to get it or not and then we thought about how we would feel if our venue went bust the week before the wedding and we couldn't have our big day - and signed up straight away!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

We thought about this and decided to go with it and went with Debenhams. Think it was £70, although if I'd ready what I've just read above I might not have bothered...

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Last_Aly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you. I think I understand. But, why would we need public liability if the venue has it (which surely all staffed venues do??)?

I looked at the Ecclestatial policy. Cant see anything about covering/not covering deposits already paid.

I hate insurance. Why do they make it so complicated!!!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

All insurance policies have clauses and ways of trying to get out of paying but if all is above boardand legitimate I would rather stake 60.00 as opposed to losing 18k if God forbid we or a close member of my family had fallen ill and I couldn't go ahead or suppliers going bust along with my money. It has unfortunately happened to brides on here.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

I bought insurance with ecceslectic on Tuesday evening. Theyve taken my money but I've had no other correspondence from them. Is this usual?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was all online, i had to print it out i think. Was yours online or by telephone?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

Online but the last page said thank you. We've taken your payment details. Then gave me a quote number and that was it. I might give them a call today.

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I bought my insurance last week and the policy came through the post yesterday.

Policy documents takes a week to come through the door.

• L
    Beginner March 2013
    lovelylouise ·
    • Hide content

Is insurance really needed? None of my friends who have gt married had it I dont think

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Only you can decide whether public liability cover is necessary. Although my venue have their own, my contract does state that I am liable for any breakage or damage to the property cause by my wedding party, guests and contractors so I decided that for the stake of £10, it wasn't worth the risk. Also public liability covers a lot of other things such as injuries etc. If somebody slipped and injure themselves at my venue, I wouldn't have thought my venue would be liable for it either as my contract also state that the age and nature of the property (16th century grade II listed barn) means that there may be uneven flags and they can be slippery so I must ensure guests takes precaution on the day. It's best to read your contractual agreement with your venue and decide whether it is necessary for you.

I had already paid a deposit to my venue when I took out my policy with Ecclestatial, I'm pretty sure it does say somewhere that it covers deposits paid otherwise I would have phoned them. Perhaps it's on the policy summary rather than the actually full document as that's written in a more friendly and reassuring way. Don't take my word for it though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics