Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Love&Lavender
Beginner September 2014

Wedding invitation grammar issues

Love&Lavender, 13 of May of 2014 at 14:47 Posted on Planning 0 29

Hi all,

I am having a bit of a moment- we have designed our own invitations and now I am not happy with how they are written grammatically. I realise this sounds like it should be really easy, but I am struggling. I now know why many invitations are written all in capital letters!

How has everyone else got round this? Or is everyone else just able to use punctuation etc correctly!

Thanks,

L&L

29 replies

Latest activity by terri_cramp, 14 of May of 2014 at 15:53
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Can you get samples of the "correct" form from DeBretts?

If you're concerned then you could post a photo here and we can have a look at it! Maybe it's one of those things where you look and look too long so it doesn't look right!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

All of the above, also wedding invitation websites often have sample wording that you can check yours against for grammar/ correct form.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I looked up the standard form for the actual wording, but in terms of grammar I think I just knew what was correct. Show us and we can try to help!

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Paula - I had a look at Debretts and it isn't really helping. I did wonder about posting the invitation on here and taking out the personal details but it is around some of those that I need help, taking them out would defeat the object.

It is crazy what you can obsess about when weddings are involved!

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, I have started to question everything including use of capital letters now! I have definitely been looking at them too long...

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yesterday I had an email from the woman designing ours to say they have been sent out, and I noticed today that she spelled my name wrong! I almost had a heart attack. She, H2B and me all checked and double checked the pdf of the invitation wording and it was correct on there, so I'm praying she hasn't made that mistake on the invitations themselves...she'll be re-doing them all if she has.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can you not email someone on this post privately, I'm sure they will help you out

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes what's "right" isn't right if that makes sense. Happy to help give a personal view. x

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha... I was exactly this. I think I went on various websites to get my answer, and write in capital letters, lol. Apparently no numbers they should be written. X

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Can you just type it out on here?

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

I'm a qualified proofreader. If you'd like me to look over your wording, feel free to send me a message.

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww that's nice

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See there are people here to help, well done.?

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your help everyone.

BellaZ - I have sent you an email, thank you for your kind offer ?

My OH will be overjoyed when I stop changing them and actually let them go to print...

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I'm an English teacher and also happy to have a look for you.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Errmm, that's a bit of a problem as the email address I used to register for this site was one I created for wedding stuff, which has since been deactivated. I really didn't think this through, did I?

I've now changed my settings so that you can "start a conversation" with me. I think that's the same as a private message if you want to send it to me that way.

Sorry for the faffing around.

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

I have been given a 3pm deadline for all changes to the invitations! So for ease the two big ones I am struggling with are below if anyone minds have a glance over....

1) The date

- Twenty Seventh of September, Two Thousand and Fourteen

- Twenty-Seventh of September, Two Thousand and Fourteen

Any other options with or without various capitals!

2) Full stops on this part

RSVP

Kindly RSVP by (date) to

Road, Town, County, Postcode

Please indicate if you would like seats on the transport and any dietary requirements.

It is all centre justified so looks better than that! However should there be a full stop after the address?

I realise this seems really minor but I really want to get this right.

Thanks everyone!

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

I've not been very traditional on mine as I have just used numbers, but if you want to write them out in full:

twenty-seventh of September, two thousand and fourteen

Months and Days start with capital letters, numbers shouldn't (unless the first word in that sentence). Here's a website with how to write numbers:

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/vocabulary/numbers/ordinal

For the next part -

R.S.V.P.

R.S.V.P. by third of July, two thousand and fourteen

The RSVP address is usually included in the bottom left hand corner of the invitation. And I wouldn't say "Please RSVP" or you are saying please twice.

Hope that helps.

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

No and between the thousand and fourteen, it should read two thousand fourteen.

X

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not what terri says. If it has to be written out in numbers, then two thousand and fourteen is fine. Personally though, I think it looks a little much as letters and I think numbers would look better to the eye.

Agree with not writing "please" before RSVP as that's what the "SVP" stands for in itself.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not what terri says. If it has to be written out in numbers, then two thousand and fourteen is fine. Personally though, I think it looks a little much as letters and I think numbers would look better to the eye.

Agree with not writing "please" before RSVP as that's what the "SVP" stands for in itself.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is correct.

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

The reason for the double RSVP is the first one is being used as a header for some information around replying. Although I do completely see what you are saying. Also, I have realised it says 'Kindly RSVP' not please...

Just got an extension to 3.30!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

It's not the double RSVP, it's the use of the word "please" that's unnecessary, given that's what RSVP means in the first place!

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry I just edited my post it says Kindly not please- turns out I can't even read my own invitations!

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

They have been sent to the printer- thanks everyone for your help.

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

would you write.. I was born in nineteen and eighty seven?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, but I don't think that's a justifiable argument. Following your logic, you would say nineteen hundred eighty seven, or one thousand nine hundred eighty seven.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, I would write "I was born in nineteen hundred and eighty seven" if I were being incredibly pernickerty - common parlance has dropped this from years for the 1900s but it's how one used to express years and indeed has crept back in for the 2000s (and if you were saying it as a number, you would write one thousand, nine hundred AND eighty seven).

Thankfully, however. Debrett's, my form and style Bible, uses numbers for their "traditional" invitation, so I shall stick with that - fewer headaches!

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wasn't arguing, I genuinely wanted to know how one would write it. Now I know. Thank you

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics