Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristina
Curious October 2025 Somerset

Wedding invitations

Kristina, 2 of February of 2024 at 17:32 Posted on Planning 0 8
Good evening everyone
I noticed a lot of people are doing online invites etc . But I find it so confusing! And i think I am a bit old school ! Paper invites still a thing or online is the way forward ? Thank you

8 replies

Latest activity by Amy, 26 of February of 2024 at 16:41
  • S
    Beginner August 2024 Hampshire
    Stacey ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we've done paper invitations.

Everyone invited to the ceremony got a save the date postcard, even though they already knew the date, and the evening guests got a WhatsApp. Six months later we sent the ceremony invitations (and some we have also WhatsApp'd a copy to as they said they didn't receive the one in the post). We know most of the ceremony guests will attend but some won't. Once we get the RSVP's back, we'll see who can't make it and move some of the evening guests up the list (only because we have limited seats we couldn't fit everyone in), then we'll send evening invitations out. I think a text, or online can get lost and it doesn't feel special, and I also like the idea of having the invitations as a keepsake. Also, people don't seem to communicate anymore so a paper invitation is a nice touch. Just my opinion though.

But, they can be pricey so it depends what your budget allows. And postage stamps are expensive too.

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    I love receiving paper invitations! They are most definitely still a thing! I love handing ours out and receiving the RSVP in the post! However, for our night guests we are sending a digital copy for work. These are our only night guests.
  • Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

I've done both - I sent online invites the same week I sent out paper cards. I designed the postcard style invites myself using canva then got them printed.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

We did paper invites - it feels more of an occasion than just sending an email, and I know many of our guests keep things like that for scrapbooks etc.

We did provide email and phone details for RSVP as well as an address though, to make it easier for people to respond. Traditionally, you are meant to respond in the same format as that in which the invitation was issued, but I don't think anyone really worries about that any more. We did have one beautifully hand-written acceptance card from a guest in her late 80s who was adamant that was the only 'proper' way to reply, but most of our guests just emailed back.

• Leanne
    Savvy June 2024 Staffordshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    I done it the old fashioned way . I like a physical invitation . We have a lot of weddings this year , from young soon to be brides and grooms and all have sent a physical official invitation . I say you do you , I can see why some may prefer the on line route , but it wouldn’t be my cup of tea , but I am a dinosaur , and totally not with it with these kind of things 😂
  • Jess
    Curious October 2025 Durham
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    Yes they are definitely a thing still. We will be doing a mixture of both in some fashion but I know a lot of people love to receive an actual invite
  • E
    Curious April 2024 Derbyshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content

We did paper invitations and save the dates in the post, as I liked the tradition and also the idea of it sitting on people's fridges and noticeboards Smiley smile

However, the invitation had minimal details on it. Only the date, location and time. We had a link and QR code to our wedding website where we had full details, FAQs and a form for them to RSVP. It worked really well and only had to chase a small handful of people at the deadline.

• A
    Beginner July 2025 Ceredigion
    Amy ·
    • Hide content

I am going to do proper invitations. I will have 30 invitations for the ceremony and will request RSVP from them and I will send out different wording on the evening invitations and wont expect an RSVP, if they come they come, if not then oh well!

The one thing I do questions is, do you put the meal options for people to choose on the invitation themselves or on the RSVP card?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics