Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2016

Wedding Invitations

Steepdene, 3 of October of 2015 at 11:57 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi guys, just having a discussion with my H2B and I need your input.

Our wedding ceremony is 3.30 pm, it's a civil ceremony at a Hotel. We need our guests to arrive at 2.30pm so they are seated by 3.15pm for my arrival.

I have designed our invites and put "on 25th of June 2016 at 2.30pm." If you read this, would you expect the ceremony to be at 2.30pm? - my H2B's assumption, or to arrive at 2.30pm for a ceremony later. He is concerned that people may turn up at 2.00pm ready for a ceremony at 2.30pm. Personally I would assume if an invite says 2.30pm that this is our arrival time followed by the ceremony a little later, and I would not arrive earlier than 2.30pm.

Please help!

6 replies

Latest activity by lpcr, 3 of October of 2015 at 19:30
  • K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

We had a 1.30pm ceremony so we put 1pm on our invites. I had a few people ask if the ceremony was at 1pm and apparently people were already there at 12.30pm because they also thought the ceremony was at 1pm ! I thought the same as you but it seems most people thought that this was the ceremony time.

Are you including a map or other info with your invites? If so, then perhaps you could make the times clear by saying something like 'please arrive at 2.30pm for the ceremony commencing at 3.15pm'? At least then you can still put just one time on the invites themselves.

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

I would assume the time stated would be the ceremony time. Could you add a line to say please arrive an hour before?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Usually guests need to arrive about 30 min early for a hotel wedding. The registrars will decide when the guests can be seated and they may not arrive an hour before the wedding.

It's more likely that the guests will be allowed into the room around 3.15, so if you arrive then and don't want people to see you, you may have to wait in the car.

Your invite needs to state the time of the ceremony, then you can add "Please arrive before 3.15pm to be seated"

With hotel weddings it can be easier if you stay over at the venue and get ready there, then you just come downstairs after the guests have been seated. It is usually cheaper to stay over when you take car hire cost into account.

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

Yes I would assume the time stated is the ceremony d would arrive at least half an hour before.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I would assume the time on the invite would be the time of the ceremony.

I'd be pretty miffed if the time on the invite was some sort of "staging" time. I think the alternative wording suggested above is probably more appropriate if you really want people to get there waiting at a certain time for you.

• S
    Beginner June 2016
    Steepdene ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! Danm H2B wins! Thanks for your help guys.

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    lpcr ·
    • Hide content

I would assume the time you put on invitations would be the start of the ceremony and would come there about 30 mins early so would have a long wait for the wedding then

Maybe put ceremony starts at --- then put a note in saying that the venue requires people to be there a set amount of time before it starts

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics