Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2019

Wedding Invites

LuxuriousGreenFlowers798, 25 of January of 2017 at 21:51 Posted on Planning 0 18

Am a bit OCD when it comes to things matching, so am looking to have my save the dates, invites, name places etc all matching. But when looking online I could be spending an absolute fortune to get them made, so thinking to make them myself.

Has anyone made their own invites? Where did you get paper and supplies from? Any help and advice would be much appreciated! xx

18 replies

Latest activity by Phillip, 20 of February of 2021 at 07:36
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

I made ours Smiley smile

I designed the inserts and created them in Publishing software (I used Page Plus because it's what I have at work lol)

I got these printed by solopress.com as we wanted them square and they were the quickest and best quality for that.

We put them in pocketfolds which we got from pocketfoldinvites.com

Ribbon and Bows came from an Etsy seller. Silver card came from an invite maker in Ireland.

Cost us probably around £5 per invitation.

Our placenames will double up with our favours, so we just got little tags from Hobbycraft.

• Ginguar
    Beginner May 1975
    Ginguar ·
    • Hide content

I've designed my own and getting or got them printed by http://solopress.com

Here are some of my bits:

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

No point spending a lot on something that is only going to end up getting put in the bin after your wedding (or maybe used as a notepad for a bit at a push!)

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I made my own for exactly the same reason- I wanted it all to match and I wanted it EXACTLY how I visualised it.. not someone else's interpretation.... I also thought I'd save money!

I achieved my 'vision' but I most definitely did NOT save any money.... the cost of all the materials and the hundreds of hours in time it took me to make them took their toll! Each invite has over 200 individually hand stamped bits... not that the time cost me anything, but the stamps and ink did... as did the pocket folds and the card to mount it all....add to that the designing of the printed elements, which I did on my photo printer (cost me a fortune in ink) and the ribbons and flowers I used to adorn the envelopes and these probably worked out at around £7.50 each! It definitely would have been cheaper to buy them I think!

Having said that, I will also have matching table plan, place names, table names, menus, signing frame etc on the day- important to me but I doubt anyone else will even notice!

These are my day invites:

Evening invites look much the same but don't have the menu in them and have a little less 'information' on the info sheet!

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I made my own for exactly the same reason- I wanted it all to match and I wanted it EXACTLY how I visualised it.. not someone else's interpretation.... I also thought I'd save money!

I achieved my 'vision' but I most definitely did NOT save any money.... the cost of all the materials and the hundreds of hours in time it took me to make them took their toll! Each invite has over 200 individually hand stamped bits... not that the time cost me anything, but the stamps and ink did... as did the pocket folds and the card to mount it all....add to that the designing of the printed elements, which I did on my photo printer (cost me a fortune in ink) and the ribbons and flowers I used to adorn the envelopes and these probably worked out at around £7.50 each! It definitely would have been cheaper to buy them I think!

Having said that, I will also have matching table plan, place names, table names, menus, signing frame etc on the day- important to me but I doubt anyone else will even notice!

These are my day invites:

Evening invites look much the same but don't have the menu in them and have a little less 'information' on the info sheet!

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Mr_P ·
    • Hide content

Hi All

We have just had the first draft of our invites sent out to us and we're liking the look of them! (And no, you can't see them yet!)

They're not overly intricate, some folds, some knot tying, envelope liners... we're having 100 pieces made and will have cost just a fraction over £5.00 / piece.

I'm very surprised at how much you ladies have spent on "home made" - I expected a saving doing it that way. I think the key is obviously to look around, find a designer that can do the job for you and work with them. Ours has come up with some amazing touches and ideas and came to our initial invite meeting very well prepared with images etc.

She did have an idea of what we were aiming for as she did our "ask the bridesmaids" champagne labels and the save the date designs and she's followed through the various bits of design work across all pieces.

I'm even more impressed now I know how little we've spent in relation to DIY!

Mr_P

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

I'm DIYing my invites, I've got full photoshop so made it relatively easy to get them designed, the hardest bit has been tweaking them, as I keep changing my mind.

They're not printed yet, but essentially they will be a square main invite, an rsvp card, a details card and a gift registry card (free from prezola). I don't like pocketfolds so I'll be putting a belly band round them to hold it together. Then I'll have envelope liners as well.

My STDs were about 70p each (for 50 - they were gold foil) and my invites are going to be about £2.02 (for 50) from printed.com. I'm just going for plain cards without any establishments (ie stick on bits/ribbons).

Order of service/gift table/table plan are going to be postboard printed from printed.com I've not settled on size yet, but I think they go for about £10-£15 for the small thin posters on card.

I don't have the pictures to hand, but I've had good feedback from people I've shown them to!

• Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

We have done our own invitations - designed them ourselves on Adobe Illustrator and had them printed through printed.com . I'll be honest, it was very very trying on our relationship as OH is a bit of a perfectionist, but they are just what we wanted - we did double sided invitation (with information on the back), with RSVPs and tied them together with twine. For 70 invitations and RSVPs (including envelopes), they came to £70.20 (plus we got £8 quidco cashback) and were posted the day after we ordered them. Cannot fault printed.com - their service and quality has been outstanding.

Will try to get a pic uploaded for you x

• V
    Beginner August 2017
    vgbride ·
    • Hide content

We are using pocketfold invites. For these, what have you used to stick them together?

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

We used double sided tape for ours Smiley smile

X

• V
    Beginner August 2017
    vgbride ·
    • Hide content

Ah thanks Smiley smile

I've read double sided tape works best so will go for this!

xx

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

We got a really thin one from the company we bought the pocketfolds from - it was a great size for the flaps Smiley smile

X

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Be sure to buy decent double sided tape, especially if you're sticking pearlescent card... I bought the cheap stuff from hobbycraft and regretted it when they all unstuck themselves and I had to do them all again!

• S
    Beginner August 2017
    Senzcy ·
    • Hide content

Has anyone used VistaPrint to do invitations? I'm considering them as they look ok and are quite cheap especially as they do lots of discount codes. Looking like £45 for 60 invites and envelopes.

• V
    Beginner August 2017
    vgbride ·
    • Hide content

Hadn't even thought about this until you had said so thank you! Ordered some of the thin double sided tape - invites arrived a couple of days ago and the skinny tape was perfect for the pocketfolds Smiley smile x

• C
    Beginner November 2017
    CantwaittobeMrsDavies17 ·
    • Hide content

We have. Pretty good quality, and good service in terms of delivery times etc. We used one of their designs and played around with it til it looked how we wanted it, but I know you can also design your own if that's your thing. Worked out loads cheaper than having them personalised or made specifically

• H
    Beginner May 2017
    HappyRedStationery700 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit late joining, but just wanted to say that amazon have some beautiful invitation sets where you can get matching save the dates. They're very reasonable prices too - would end up costing more to do them yourself unless you're VERY savvy with the DIY! Xx

• D
    Beginner June 2018
    DorsetDiasy ·
    • Hide content

Those invites are amazing and well worth the time spent! Can I ask where you found the floral stamps?

• Phillip
    New Jersey
    Phillip ·
    • Hide content

It’s really a wonderful read. Sure will follow the points you have suggested. There is a lot to learn from your ACTIONABLE article "Wedding Invites".

Keep writing.

Thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics