Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner April 2016

Wedding invites - can I state no hats please?

ExpensiveBlueConfetti423, 29 of October of 2015 at 16:48 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello, i'm having an April wedding, which unless we are lucky with the weather I envisage will be mostly indoors.

We are also not wanting our wedding to be too formal, neither of our mum are wearing a hat.

I really don't want a female guest to turn up with a massive hat which may upstage either of our mums, also I just find hats a bit formal (also pointless when indoors!) and they hide peoples faces in photos!

Do you think people would find it rude/strange if I state on the wedding invites 'no hats or fascinators please'?

Thanks!

12 replies

Latest activity by Kriek, 31 of October of 2015 at 16:54
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

You are the bride and that means you can have whatever you want pretty much. Make sure everyone is aware no hats or fascinators please. You can even ask your ushers to police it at the doors . Your day your wishes. Just make sure everyone is aware.

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    LauraLtobe ·
    • Hide content

I'd say you can do whatever you want, so long as you make guests aware. Sure, some people might not like it but who cares? It's your wedding day and it isn't going to massively effect guests if you say no hats.

• J
    Beginner May 2018
    Jade1990 ·
    • Hide content

Its your big day have whatever you like Smiley smile they shouldn't complain your saving them money haha

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Of course you can do whatever you want, but honestly, I'd probably have a bit of a scoff if I received such an invitation. Your mother will not be upstaged by someone wearing a hat. Can't people come as themselves?

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Do this instead Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

My friends did it for their wedding.. I thought it was a silly request but hey if that's what you want then definitely mention it so no-one wears one Smiley smile

• PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content

I myself detest fascinators and hats for weddings, I think they took ridiculous at all times. However, to actually tell people how to dress is rude in my opinion, and slightly OTT..? I totally get what you mean, but at the end of the day, just coz it's the Bride and grooms day, doesn't mean everyone has to be told how to dress. People see hats as part of their clothing so I don't think it's right to say.. But that's me. If I could say no hats I would lol

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Initially both my mum and MIL said they weren't going to wear hats. Although they did both end up wearing fascinators in the end, it never occurred to me to dictate that no other guests could wear them when it looked like they wouldn't be! As it was they were outdone in the hat stakes by a few of the female guests, but in no way did it detract or "upstage" them.

To answer your question: yes, I would think it was rude/strange to be told what I can and can't wear on an invite.

• kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

Although I would oblige if I was requested either to wear or not to wear a certain thing, I wouldn't be happy about it. i would never dream of putting such a thing on my invitations, I'd want my guests to wear what they want. If people found it such a fancy occasion that they'd want to dress up and wear a hat I think that's lovely. It's your mums choice to wear or not to wear one but that shouldn't dictate what guests do

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

To be honest not many people seem to wear hats to a wedding these days so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Are there any guests in particular you think may want to wear a hat? If so could you casually drop it into conversation that your mum isn't eating one, it might deter them ( I know that once my mum found out that my aunty wasn't wearing a hat at her daughter's wedding, my mum decided not to wear one). However I'm not sure how kindly people will take been asked not to wear fascinators as a lot of people like to coordinate them with their outfits. Perhaps wording something like ' our wish is for our guests to enjoy a relaxed atmosphere so please dress accordingly' or dress code is smart casual.

• YellowDiamond
    Beginner July 2016
    YellowDiamond ·
    • Hide content

Hi personally I don't think it's the worst thing you could ask! Get the wording right and send invites with a good amount of notice so people don't waste money buying one in advance and I'm sure people won't mind! I always wear a hat to a wedding, I love making it part of my outfit, but I'd be mortified if I found out the bride particularly didn't want it and had just felt she couldn't say - it's always off and left with my handbag by the meal anyway, but if I were your guest I'd rather you just mentioned it and I'd happily oblige (and spend the extra on my shoes haha!) xx

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Haha, this really made me laugh!

To answer the question, if it will really upset your mum then yes mention it, otherwise I wouldn't bother, you honestly won't care on the day, we had an evening guest, my husband's cousin, bring along her uninvited boyfriend and he was wearing a tracksuit and baseball cap! I was a bit annoyed the following day but on the day I barely even noticed!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Agree with Mrs Toffee, I would only say it if it would upset your mum.

I'm not keen on dictating what people should or shouldn't wear. Some people really love getting dressed up and planning their outfit so I wouldn't want to take that away from them. As others have said you might not even notice (or care) on the day as you're so busy enjoying yourself. One of our female guests turned up wearing a wooly jumper and baggy black trousers. It did look a bit odd in the photos but I didn't care as we had so much fun on the day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics