Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

panda2011
Beginner September 2011

Wedding jobs for 7 year old boys?

panda2011, 16 May, 2011 at 16:06 Posted on Planning 0 12

My OH's cousin texted us over the weekend & asked if his 9 year old daughter could be a bridesmaid as she will never have chance to be one again (no other family that's likely to get married). Now I don't have a problem with this as Lily is a really pretty, sweet little thing & I know she'll love it so I'm very happy to make her a flower girl. She can trot up the aisle holding my little boys hand. Having said to OH's cousin that we're happy to have Lily as a flower girl, they have now asked us what we want her younger brother to do which is slightly annoying as I wish they had mentioned they wanted him to have a role when they mentioned Lily! I don't want to cause a family rift by saying 'no, he can't do anything ' but at the same time if we suddenly get caught for hiring him a posh suit etc it suddenly gets very expensive & I do feel like they have suddenly changed the goal posts. Um... whose wedding is it anyway lol!

Anyway, what roles are there at a wedding that are suitable for a 7 year old boy? He's too young to be an Usher (we aren't having any Ushers anyway) & I think he's too old to be a page boy. What can be get him to do that won't involve us having to fork out for another blasted suit? I'm running out of ideas!

12 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsRon, 17 May, 2011 at 08:13
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Ring bearer?

If he is an "confident" 7 year old, and could cope with it, could he do a reading?

If you really don't have a job for him then text them back and say "unfortunately there aren't many jobs for little boys, so he's all yours for the day!" but then again I think it's really rude to ask "can we/our children be IN your wedding?" and I am just that petty! (On the other hand if they've already mentioned it to him it would be harsh to take it away from him if he's excited about having a role... it's not his fault!)

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We have a slightly older "son of friend who is also a bridesmaid" being ring bearer - he stands with the rest of the ushers then gives the box of rings to the registrar when nudged by the Best Man.

His response when we asked him was "I don't know what it means but it sounds really important" and he was happy to oblige.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

We're already having our dalmatians as our ring bearers (attached to my bridesmaids who are both good with bouncy dogs!) so that one is out but the reading might be a very good idea! The trouble when family members start deciding their kids need a job is that someone is bound to get upset, especially if the kid already thinks they are doing something. Perhaps if we specify that he can do a reading, if he doesn't feel brave enough to do it then he might decline the role & save me a bit of extra hassle! Arggghhhh, families!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I think a reading is risky for a 7 year old - likely to dry up or cry or refuse to do it. But you know him best.

I agree with PP that is is very rude to ask if your children can have a part in your wedding - they should wait to be asked.

Could he give out OoSs? Trawl round witht he guest book? Be in charge of collecting cards and presents (ie guest give them to you, he runs off to put them on table or whatever)

Parking attendant in the car park? (Oh, is that mean of me??)

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

AmnesiaCustard, I love your style! I so wish I could get away with that one. I'm kind of hoping that if we suggest a reading the parents decide to decline the role for the very reasons you mentioned but OH will probably make me come up with another job for him if that happens. I did think about putting him in charge of the sweetie table but I would like the other guests to actually get chance to eat some!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like this idea. Very easy to do and doesn't require any speaking. Also, if he decides he doesn't want to do it then you can easily shift the job onto someone else without any problems.

I think a reading would be too much.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Can he have responsibility of the rings? My 6 year old and 12 year old will be looking after the rings (one each) and then they will be looking after the children's table.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

My sons are 6 and 4, and their jobs at the wedding is pretty much "be adorable". The older one is very keen to have a more serious job, so he's appointed himself "In Charge Of Telling People Where To Sit" and "Keeping Ethan (the younger one) Quiet". He feels very important.

• luckylola
    Beginner September 2012
    luckylola ·
    • Hide content

Just an idea..... You could give him a camera and ask him to take photographs throughout the day ? (If you think he is old enough to do so?)

Or he could hand out the order of service/confetti cones? Not sure what else to suggest. I work with children and they love using the cameras ! They're pretty good at taking pictures too !

Hope that helps,

Kerri

x

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

The camera is a fab idea! Doesn't really cost anything & I bet we'd get some fab shots that the photograper won't get. Might suggest that one ?

• luckylola
    Beginner September 2012
    luckylola ·
    • Hide content

Aww good! I hope it all turns out okay for you.

Kerri

x

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Photos is a good one. When I was 8 my auntie had me as her 'official family photographer'. I remember feeling very important.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

You're so much nicer than me!!! If someone texted (!) me to ask if they could force someone into my wedding I'd tell them where to go. A bl**dy text? Don't even have the decency to pop round or call you!

and then to add on another one, they're so rude! I'd be tempted to relegate them to evening only lol

Maybe it's because I don't like kids, aren't having any at the wedding, and generally think that our wedding isn't there for other people to show off or use for their own reasons.

Oooooh I've woken up in a bit of a grump today ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics